OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Using mainline kernel in buildroot

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm trying to test out a mainline kernel (specifically, 3.3-rc4) in OpenWRT. I specified that OpenWRT should use an external kernel tree in menuconfig, and it attempts to build that as expected. However, it fails due to what appears to be a lack of OpenWRT patches being applied. For example, my build current dies at:

CC [M]  /home/foo/openwrt/build_dir/linux-ar71xx_generic/button-hotplug/button-hotplug.o
/home/foo/openwrt/build_dir/linux-ar71xx_generic/button-hotplug/button-hotplug.c: In function 'button_hotplug_work':
/home/foo/openwrt/build_dir/linux-ar71xx_generic/button-hotplug/button-hotplug.c:175:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'broadcast_uevent' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

I noticed that there is a directory for 3.3 patches under target/linux/generic/patches-3.3. How can I make the build system apply those patches to the mainline kernel?

I'm also interested on this the current kernel has issues with the ath5k driver

drekthar: We use out-of-tree compat wireless. A newer kernel will not give you newer drivers.
shaddi: OpenWrt does not alter external kernel trees, you're expected to patch them yourself.

jow wrote:

drekthar: We use out-of-tree compat wireless. A newer kernel will not give you newer drivers.
shaddi: OpenWrt does not alter external kernel trees, you're expected to patch them yourself.

thanks for clearing that out jow

The discussion might have continued from here.