OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link's Entry into Dual Band!

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hmm... sound interesting, but I didn't find anything about "simultaneous dualband" so I'm afraid this device has only one radio sad

With three dual-band antennas, TL-WR2543ND generates a maximum theoretical wireless throughput of 450Mbps over the 2.4GHz or 5GHz channels utilizing a 3 X 3 Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) configuration.

update: the TL-WR2543ND has only one wifi, but I found this:
The TL-WR2843ND (bright red) is capable of running simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, while the TL-WR2543ND can run at 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Both use three MIMO streams to get this headline speed, which TP-Link says will also improve range by up to 20 per cent. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networki … ess-router

(Last edited by eleon216 on 12 Oct 2011, 11:44)

According to page 18 of the user manual (http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/docume … _Guide.pdf), it cannot operate on both bands at the same time.

This review (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/rev … ter-review) says the same thing.

There seems to be a WR-2843ND which supports simultaneously dual-band operations, which was announced in CES 2011, but CES 2012 is coming and it doesn't seem to be available yet...?

Cheers.

(Last edited by loyukfai on 4 Jan 2012, 20:27)

Crap. It looks like like $120 shipped on Amazon. I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Exchanged a few emails with a TP-Link rep, it seems that WR2843ND is not going to be released, but they may have "another new router which can operate both bands at the same time in the near future".

Cheers.

loyukfai wrote:

Exchanged a few emails with a TP-Link rep, it seems that WR2843ND is not going to be released, but they may have "another new router which can operate both bands at the same time in the near future".

Cheers.

I heard that new one will come out in May 2012.

Also, I heard that TL-WR2543ND has the following hardware:

- AR7242
- AR9380
- RTL8367R

Given that AR7242 is a 400 MHz processor this should be a pretty powerfull box.

Has anyone tried to compare the WAN->LAN speed of a Tl-WR2543ND with a TL-WR1043ND? I am using the software TP Link supply. I haven't yet tried any alternatives, like OpenWRT. With a 1043 I get a steady 130MBbps HTTP download, if the far end isn't blocking. This speed has been very consistent. Now I have tried a 2543 as a direct substitute for a 1043, and the HTTP download speed has dropped to under 100MBps, and is more erratic. I know the box isn't sold on its WAN->LAN speed, but the 2543 is supposed to be the higher performance machine, and seems to have a faster CPU. My result seems counter intuitive.

Do you mean wired LAN or wireless? Just got mine today. Will be messing about with it incessantly for a while, could do some tests for you if you want.

Still on stock firmware, but currently only been able to get 240mbps UDP and 180mbps TCP over the wireless (only 15mbps more than my WNDR3700), but that's was LAN to WLAN

[Edit]
Very quick test, I'm getting a steady 80mbps WAN to WLAN and 120mbps WAN to LAN (wired). I haven't tried optimizing anything but that's... pretty bad. On the one and only stock firmware version currently available.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 7 Feb 2012, 17:24)

WAN->WLAN I seem to get about 80MBps with the 2543. WAN->LAN I get something like 100Mbps. A 1043 is a bit better than this.

I usually use a small Intel i3 based Linux box to route to this WAN port, where I can sustain 800Mbps to 900Mbps to some nearby servers (though obviously not to arbitrary remote locations). 1G home links are available. Its time router caught up. :-)

How did you test and benchmark WAN -> LAN speeds ?

It's an interesting box, to me. It sells for about EUR 60.- in Italy. The throughput is not importan to me as the 64 MB or RAM, twice as the 1043.
I can see here there's "some support" for it.
Any advice about it?
Anyone already tested it with OpenWRT?

IT WORKS! ... almost ... (I'm using hardware v1.2).

I flashed r30639 (19.02.2012) and it runs quite well.
What's not working so far seems to be just the LED stuff, namely the WLAN LED, and any non-g WiFi.
802.11g works: I can both scan and link.
[s]802.11g+n DOESN'T work: I cannot link and am not sure whether there's any n station in my neighborhood.[/s]My device only links to 20 MHz channels, while g+n defaults to 40 MHz channles.
802.11a and 802.11b could not be tested.
The WLAN led stays off [s]and also the LED configuration seems to lack some options[/s]. I needed to install extra ledtrig packages.

(Last edited by uqbar on 23 Feb 2012, 15:53)

TP-Link has released 2 new concurrent (simultaneous operation) 2.4/5GHz routers in China, the TL-WDR4310 and TL-WDR3310.

The 4310 is a 750Mbps model (450Mbps on the 5GHz band and 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band) and the 3310 is a 600Mbps model.

According to this and this and some other Chinese posts, the 4310's got AR9344 + AR9580 + AR8327 inside. 8MB flash, 128MB RAM.

It is available for approximate 80USD at the moment.

Cheers.

(Last edited by loyukfai on 21 Apr 2012, 10:24)

loyukfai wrote:

It is available for approximate 80USD at the moment.

not bad!!

hope to have it in europe soon..

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 21 Apr 2012, 10:26)

The discussion might have continued from here.