OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WR1043, PPPoE and a confused Newbie

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Heyho.

Firstofall: flashing my router worked perfectly easy, maybe to easy.

The more I read documentations, FAQs etc. the more confused I get, I think I might need some help getting the point of virtual and physical interfaces, their naming, the default configuration and so on.

1. What I wanna do:
Connect my router to a modem (alice IAD, I hate it ;) ) via PPPoE.

As far as i know, i have to configure one of the 1043's ports to do so, haven't I?
With something like this:

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth1'
        option 'proto' 'pppoe'
        option 'username' 'XXXXXX'
        option 'password' 'XXXXXX'
        option 'defaultroute' '1'
        option 'peerdns' '1'

(Is that everything the router needs to know for establishing a connection via the modem (and not by itself!)?)

But: What actually is a port? Where do I plug in my cable and how is that named in the CUI?

Okay, let's say I take the WAN-port (the port named "wan" on the box ...)
I go to that page http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd to check out the 'layout' and find these two tables:
"
The default network configuration is:
Interface Name     Description                     Default configuration
br-lan             LAN & WiFi                     192.168.1.1/24
eth0                     LAN ports (1 to 4) + WAN     None
wlan0             WiFi                                     Disabled
"
and
"
Switch Ports (for VLANs)

Numbers 1-4 are Ports 1-4 as labeled on the unit, number 0 is the Internet (WAN) on the unit, 5 is the internal connection to the router itself.
Port     Switch port
Internet (WAN)     0
LAN 1     1
LAN 2     2
LAN 3     3
LAN 4     4
Gigabit Media Independent Interface     5
"
My questions:
Where is the difference between "interface" and "ifname" in the config entry? Which is the one where my cable is plugged in?
Where is the difference between br-lan and eth0?
Connecting my router to the modem via the WAN-labeled port on the unit would therefore mean the interface eth0, and in the config-example above "ifname eth1" the router is connected via the LAN1-port to the modem? (and a computer plugged in in LAN3 would be eth3 or eth0.3?)
Why do I need that bridge?

Then, a question on this howto: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/acces … hrough.nat

What does that part mean:
"If the modem should have an IP address like say 192.168.1.8, you could not use the network 192.168.1.0/24 for your LAN and at the same time access your modem with this method. Use any other network in that case, like 192.168.0.0/24 or 192.168.33.0/24. " ?
(What means "LAN" in this case?)

Would be great if somebody could help me.

(Last edited by hansdampf on 17 Feb 2012, 17:46)

hansdampf wrote:

As far as i know, i have to configure one of the 1043's ports to do so, haven't I?
With something like this:[...]

Looks almost right but the ifname should be eth0.2, as used in the default config.

hansdampf wrote:

But: What actually is a port? Where do I plug in my cable and how is that named in the CUI?

Its named WAN or Internet on the case and named WAN in the GUI.

hansdampf wrote:

Where is the difference between "interface" and "ifname" in the config entry? Which is the one where my cable is plugged in?

Interface is a symbolic name ("lan", "wan", "foobar") and ifname the used Linux network device ("eth0", "eth1", "eth0.1", ...)

hansdampf wrote:

Where is the difference between br-lan and eth0?

"br-lan" is a software bridge, "eth0" is the switch hardware.

hansdampf wrote:

Connecting my router to the modem via the WAN-labeled port on the unit would therefore mean the interface eth0, and in the config-example above "ifname eth1" the router is connected via the LAN1-port to the modem? (and a computer plugged in in LAN3 would be eth3 or eth0.3?)

No. Ports LAN1-LAN4 appear as "eth0.1", the Internet port appears as "eth0.2". The relation of eth0.X devices to physical switch ports is specified by switch_vlan sections.

hansdampf wrote:

Why do I need that bridge?

To attach wireless (yet another independant interface, usually "wlan0") to the LAN ("eth0.1"), its what most users expect when setting up a wireless AP.

hansdampf wrote:

Then, a question on this howto: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/acces … hrough.nat
What does that part mean:

It basically means that you should never use the same subnet on two different interfaces, it will break the routing.

hansdampf wrote:

(What means "LAN" in this case?)

It means the interface specified by "config interface lan".

Thank you very much. That helped me a lot (especially the eth0.2-default-thingy). So, back to work then ,)

load luci interface.. its easyer 2 set up router that way
u can remove it after uve done config

ps: u r right... openwrt documentation is a mess... its like u have programs(some of them r foulty) and u have 2 discover by urself how they work...

The discussion might have continued from here.