OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to get signal strength when client scanning the network.

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Just when client scanning,not linking to my router.
I want to capture wifi client’s infomation when he scanning the network,just when he scanning ,not connecting.I use the horst (http://br1.einfach.org/tech/horst/).Everything is ok ,except the signal level.Signal level and the noise is always 0,and the snr is always 95.
It seems that horst not support my wifi driver.My router is Alcatel-Sbell RG100A-A,with a BCM6358 CPU.

Can anyone give me some advice about how to do this.

I read from http://br1.einfach.org/tech/horst/,it says :
===========
again, the reason for this is in the ath9k driver and mac80211 layer of the
linux networking stack. the main developers of mac80211 have decided some time
ago that they don’t care about signal and noise values and have removed the
corresponding (and well working) code. i and some others have protested, but
there was not enough demand for reporting signal and noise on a per-packet
basis. if you care about it, please ask on the linux-wireless mailinglist,
it’s easy enough to add the code again.
==============
It seems some code may be done the driver.Can anybody give me some advice?

THis is my kernel ver:Linux OpenWrt 2.6.32.27 #5 Wed Dec 21 05:51:40 CET 2011 mips GNU/Linux
Is there any other way to capture the signal if i can't get it from a per-packet basis.

Are you doing some research about the 802.11 and the MAC code of Openrt?

beef9999 wrote:

no,I want to use the driver to get the signal when user scanning the network.I set my interface into monitor mode,and capture the packet to get the signal.But as I say above,there was not enough demand for reporting signal and noise on a per-packet basis.so i want to find out another way to get over this.If no ,I only to research the driver code,to path it.If there any suggest?

wwwrryy wrote:
beef9999 wrote:

no,I want to use the driver to get the signal when user scanning the network.I set my interface into monitor mode,and capture the packet to get the signal.But as I say above,there was not enough demand for reporting signal and noise on a per-packet basis.so i want to find out another way to get over this.If no ,I only to research the driver code,to path it.If there any suggest?

You can get the signal strength by some software or tool, such as "iw".

And I have no idea how to do it in low level, like MAC layer and the driver.

Please do not forgett to consult and groom the OpenWrt 802.11 FAQ!

jow’s iwinfo can pull in noise data just fine. But the Horst developer would have to switch from the deprecated wext to nl80211 API.

The discussion might have continued from here.