OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi everyone here! I have somewhat different question: have anyone succeeded with streaming video from a webcam with this router? According to specs, it has USB 2.0 on the board, but any applications I've tested couldn't start because of the usb brandwidth (or something else). I've tested mjpg_stream, motion etc. Is there any other router capable for video streaming?

(Last edited by imperfect on 10 Feb 2012, 17:47)

pixelseventy2 wrote:

**Update**

After some more poking, it appears that "opkg install luci" isn't installing all the dependencies.  The following got everything installed and working (possibly overkill though):

opkg install luci luci-mod-admin-full uhttpd-mod-lua luci-sgi-uhttpd

I remember that I did install luci and it just worked afterwards.  I don't remember that I need to install anything additional.

TP-LINK TL-WR703N v1
OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r30391) / LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8222)
Kernel Version2.6.39.4

This is what I am using.

1. Flash ...Squashfs.bin
2. telnet 192.168.1.1 - no username and no password, you don't need to change password in this stage.
3. edit your /etc/config/network (I use "vi") so that your route have internet access  (restart the network after edit)
4. type : opkg update
    this will update the package list from internet to the router.
5. type : opkg install luci
6. then you will see a long installation messages, all related package will be install automatically.
7. type : /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
             /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
8. done!
9. now, change your root password inside telnet
X. use browser to browse your-router-ip to check everything ok.

703N is a really good router !
Just that it doesn't have antenna so the TX/RX is not strong enough, and it only have one ethernet port.... if come with two would be great.

(Last edited by johan666 on 10 Feb 2012, 20:39)

johan666 wrote:

TP-LINK TL-WR703N v1
OpenWrt Firmware Attitude Adjustment (r30391) / LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8222)
Kernel Version2.6.39.4

This is what I am using.

1. Flash ...Squashfs.bin
2. telnet 192.168.1.1 - no username and no password, you don't need to change password in this stage.
3. edit your /etc/config/network (I use "vi") so that your route have internet access  (restart the network after edit)
4. type : opkg update
    this will update the package list from internet to the router.
5. type : opkg install luci
6. then you will see a long installation messages, all related package will be install automatically.
7. type : /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
             /etc/init.d/uhttpd start
8. done!
9. now, change your root password inside telnet
X. use browser to browse your-router-ip to check everything ok.

703N is a really good router !
Just that it doesn't have antenna so the TX/RX is not strong enough, and it only have one ethernet port.... if come with two would be great.

I swear that's what I was doing and it doesn't work.  I'm going to blame it on a glitch in yesterday's build smile

I've managed to get it working with a DHCP WAN and fixed LAN/WLAN IP, now to get an openvpn client working on it...

Is there any way to free up space on the device?  Trying to install openvpn and it's a beast.  About 900KB.  Also, I though this device had 4MB flash?  df -kh shows the rootfs is only 1.5mb.

Thanks.

nebbia88 wrote:

no way to free up space in a squashfs image wink

http://open-wrt.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=16350#p16350

have a look at this, having root on a usb is THE solution (or edit target dirs in opkg.conf...)..

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 42#p156142

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/opk … stinations

I agree.  I also tried the trunk version before I compiled my own.  It also worked.  All you need to do is install some USB related packages (kmod-usb-core, kmod-usb2, kmod-usb-storage and kmod-fs-ext4) and block-mount.  I mainly followed this link: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot.  Some of the packages are no longer needed such as block-extroot and block-hotplug.  The are both in block-mount.  Then all you need to do is to configure extroot.  you an install luci before using extroot (it had enough space) or after.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 11 Feb 2012, 00:42)

thanks, I'll look at that.  But why is the filesystem only showing up as 1.5mb? Is that just how big the squashfs was made?  Can it be made bigger if I build my own?

Thanks. I'm not particularly experienced in embedded linux.

i think the other 2.5 MB are used by the firmware image itself (and not deletable with squashfs)..

pay attention IF YOU WANT to try jffs2, you already have serial interface right? ^^

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 12 Feb 2012, 12:40)

Using jffs is dangerous.
If you uninstall any important modules, and if you mis-config your router, you will not able to recover unless using serial interface.
It is just a little router, it is not capable to install so many services to turn it as a multifunction server....

No matter what you do, 4MB flash cannot let you to install many applications.  Moreover, I was told jffs will use more space than squashfs because it does not have compression while squashfs does.  You cannot create space from nothing, that's physics wink.

(Last edited by twinclouds on 12 Feb 2012, 17:44)

I'm new to openwrt.  Got my WR703N flashed to Openwrt trunk r30391 dated Feb 9.  Didn't do the opkg upgrade/luci part as I wanted to setup via telnet.

Setting up wired lan was ok and wireless AP without security was ok too.

Problem was trying enable WPA2.  Wifi will complain about not enough random entrophy and clients can't associate with the AP.

Before giving up, I did a opkg upgrade & install luci, setup the wireless via luci and it works!

Below is the current wireless conf and it looks similar to what I edited earlier manually. Did I missed a step that prevent me from doing the wireless setup with WPA? 

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'channel' '11'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-20'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'RX-STBC1'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option 'disabled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'key' 'mypassword'
        option 'ssid' 'openwrt'

I like to change the factory configured mac address.

If you look at mtd0 which is uboot, offset 0x1FC00 holds the device original mac address. 

Logically, modifying this offset and flashing back mtd0 should accomplish it. But since this is uboot, how safe is this operation?  Is there any checksum hash check that will detect and crash if it is changed?

Also what will be a proper mtd command to do this?

(Last edited by timo on 13 Feb 2012, 05:28)

timo wrote:

I like to change the factory configured mac address.

If you look at mtd0 which is uboot, offset 0x1FC00 holds the device original mac address. 

Logically, modifying this offset and flashing back mtd0 should accomplish it. But since this is uboot, how safe is this operation?  Is there any checksum hash check that will detect and crash if it is changed?

Also what will be a proper mtd command to do this?

Even if you can, is this legal?  As far as I understand, a range of MAC addresses is assigned to a corporation. A corporation only give one unique address to a device.  Thus, there will be no two devices have the same MAC address. This is actually one way to determine if the device is genuine or counterfeit.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

nebbia88 wrote:

i think the other 2.5 MB are used by the firmware image itself (and not deletable with squashfs)..

pay attention IF YOU WANT to try jffs2, you already have serial interface right? ^^

Oh yeah, that makes sense. smile thanks.

twinclouds wrote:

Even if you can, is this legal?  As far as I understand, a range of MAC addresses is assigned to a corporation. A corporation only give one unique address to a device.  Thus, there will be no two devices have the same MAC address. This is actually one way to determine if the device is genuine or counterfeit.  Please let me know if I am wrong.

This is generally legal, at least here in the UK (IAMAL).  Many stock devices have this functionality, including a TP-Link TD-8817 modem/router which I recently purchased.  This is so that it can connect to ISPs that use MAC to determine users.  What isn't (generally) legal is using MAC spoofing to obtain unauthorised access to another persons network, i.e. getting access to a MAC-filtered wireless network.

pixelseventy2 wrote:
twinclouds wrote:

This is generally legal, at least here in the UK (IAMAL).  Many stock devices have this functionality, including a TP-Link TD-8817 modem/router which I recently purchased.  This is so that it can connect to ISPs that use MAC to determine users.  What isn't (generally) legal is using MAC spoofing to obtain unauthorised access to another persons network, i.e. getting access to a MAC-filtered wireless network.

O.K. In that case, I don't think change a these bytes in dtm0 will cause any problem.  You are doing that at your own risk, though.

Just updated to r30479
It is using linux kernel 3.2.5
Cool !
big_smile

Found the steps to modify uboot in WR1043ND wiki.  Tried 'mtd write uboot.mod u-boot' and kept getting 'Could not open mtd device:' errors.  Now realized this build has set mtd to read-only!

Is there a ready made build that allows write access to mtd0 and mtd4 (which is needed to change the wireless mac address also)?

Hi everybody, OpenWRT newbie here experimenting with this little device...
After much struggling I managed to install trunk and luci but I have troubles adding 3G USB modem support following the wiki
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle
but I cannot install some packages because of:

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-option:
 *      kernel (= 3.2.5-1-24c341ea1ba579e956abf450333e5499) *   kernel (= 3.2.5-1-24c341ea1ba579e956abf450333e5499) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial-option.

I read most of the thread and I understood the cure for this is updating the kernel? Should I just do 'opkg upgrade kernel' or is that not the solution?
I'm just trying to add 3G support, any help?
Also, I read about some images with built-in 3G support, are these advisable over latest trunk image?

timo wrote:

Found the steps to modify uboot in WR1043ND wiki.  Tried 'mtd write uboot.mod u-boot' and kept getting 'Could not open mtd device:' errors.  Now realized this build has set mtd to read-only!

Is there a ready made build that allows write access to mtd0 and mtd4 (which is needed to change the wireless mac address also)?

You will brick your route if you make a single mistake.

However, you can override the default MAC without overwrite the eeprom.

thorazine74 wrote:

After much struggling I managed to install trunk and luci but I have troubles adding 3G USB modem support following the wiki

Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial-option:
 *      kernel (= 3.2.5-1-24c341ea1ba579e956abf450333e5499) *   kernel (= 3.2.5-1-24c341ea1ba579e956abf450333e5499) *

I read most of the thread and I understood the cure for this is updating the kernel? Should I just do 'opkg upgrade kernel' or is that not the solution?
Also, I read about some images with built-in 3G support, are these advisable over latest trunk image?

Did you update your firmware too ?

johan666 wrote:
thorazine74 wrote:

Collected errors:

Did you update your firmware too ?

you need to first install the kernel_3.2.5-1-24c341ea1ba579e956abf450333e5499
opkg install http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk
then install the kmod-usb-serial-option it should work

these are the modules you need to install for 3G to work

opkg update
opkg install luci-proto-3g luci-proto-ppp kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option usb-modeswitch usb-modeswitch-data

once you have installed the above modules depending on your ISP you may or may not change the chat script

let me know if you need any help in configurting the 3G settings

Regards

(Last edited by catchmahesh on 14 Feb 2012, 00:45)

So lets see if I understand this, before I had installed a trunk from a few days ago, and when I tried to do install the 3g packages with opkg they required a more up to date kernel than the one I had, is that right?
I updated to the latest sysupgrade image and started from scratch and I think I managed to do it. I will start plugging the usb modem now and try to configure the connection.
If I have just installed the required kernel package into the old image it would have been the same?

I already have some of the packages required for 3g installed, so I didnt reinstall them. Shouldnt this keep more free space available in the device? I checked them and they see to be the same as the ones listed in opkg.

(Last edited by thorazine74 on 14 Feb 2012, 11:25)