OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Possible to run Wine on an OpenWRT Router?

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all. Just wondering if it is possible to run Wine on an OpenWRT router. Using PuTTY the versions I am getting are BusyBox v1.8.2 and KAMIKAZI bleeding edge, r11404. If there is not enough room on the Flash, what about on a USB drive?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think so.

First of all OpenWRT is command line interface. As everyone knows DOS isnt very powerful as compared to unix. So i am just wondering what DOS command is it that you cant find in unix?

Wine doesn't emulate x86 architecture. So, no.

vikas wrote:

First of all OpenWRT is command line interface. As everyone knows DOS isnt very powerful as compared to unix. So i am just wondering what DOS command is it that you cant find in unix?

That would be xcopy, nothing so twisted in Linux smile.

Much as I hate to respond to people posting questions in the HOWTO forum, I should point out that it's perfectly possible to run Wine on an x86 compatible router.  That would include anything with an RDC8610/321x or AMRISC 20000 chip, coupled with a USB->SVGA converter, and probably a USB mouse and keyboard to boot.  Or you could use a remote X display, even if that's rather pointless.  Actually I suppose if you don't need interaction but just to get an application running you could manage with the framebuffer X server (xvfb).  Really depends why you'd want to do this in the first place, of course, but this is Linux, almost anything is *possible*.

Biff.

Dmitry wrote:

There are plenty of x86 architectures that run OpenWRT... such as Alix (geode) and RDC3210.

edit: beaten, thanks biff

(Last edited by aport on 8 Jul 2009, 00:44)

aport wrote:
Dmitry wrote:

There are plenty of x86 architectures that run OpenWRT... such as Alix (geode) and RDC3210.

edit: beaten, thanks biff

I completely forgot that there are x86 routers out there. However, most routers are not x86, so it's not gonna work on them.

(Last edited by Dmitry on 8 Jul 2009, 04:25)

I don't think using wine under OpenWRT is so pointless. First of all there are some apps developed both for desktops and mobile devices with windows and this can greatly save resources (such an app I'm planning to use for 24 hours 5 days per week):
1) Reduce noice (no need in coolers, hard drives etc.);
2) Reduce power consumption;
3) Reduce costs (desktop is far more expensive than router);
4) Improve efficiency (it's completely unefficient to heat dual-core machine with 2GB RAM to run an app that simply interacts with server getting data from there and sometimes giving responses instructing the server what it should do);
I'm trying to port wine to OpenWRT but there are some troubles compiling that because wine uses it's own build system to create dlls as far as I understand. I've tried using qemu to emulate my desired arch, but also I need to point to libraries against which wine's build tools compiles. As I not so experinced in OpenWRT build system, could anyone point me the right way to build this staff if it is possible or simply give some structered list of variables and paths used by build root and how to safely provide required libraries without affecting host environment ( e.g. not to replace /lib link) and chrooting or if this is impossible, what is the simpliest way to workaround this?

The discussion might have continued from here.