OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [10.03.1-rc6] External storage doesn't automatically mount

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all.
I've followed the Wiki for the USB storage and have installed all the relevant extra packages.
In the GUI (System->Mount Points->Mount Points) I've created the relevant entry.
The device name (/dev/sda1)  was already and properly recognized by the system so I just selected the filsystem type (XFS) and left the default options. Then I enabled it and reboot the box.
The storage partition didn't get mounted at boot.
I can manually mount an external storage device on the CLI.
In the "startup" menu (System->Startup) I can see that both "fstab" e "mountd" are disabled.
What's missing?

Use a terminal and check if everything is set up properly according to http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.s … rt.on.boot
Also keep in mind that there have been plenty of changes during the last year in blockmount, so check for matching version.

I've solved the "issue". It's mostly about missing extra packages, though.
This is the list of what I've installed:
usbutils (003-1)
libusb-1.0 (1.0.8-1)
block-mount (0.1.0-2.1)
block-hotplug (0.1.0-2.1)
kmod-usb-storage (2.6.32.27-1)
kmod-fs-exportfs (2.6.32.27-1)
kmod-fs-xfs (2.6.32.27-1) [I use xfs]

And it works fine after you have configured the web UI at System->Mount Points->Mount Points.
Maybe I'll try a review of the Wiki. later.

I've run into the same problem.   I had everything mounted correctly (I have an external USB storage (8G)) but after a reboot neither the swap area nor the ext4 file system that is out on the USB SD card would show up.

The missing piece is block-hotplug.   

In the wiki, it states that block-hotplug isn't needed anymore when using a current block-mount but that appears to not be correct.   block-hotplug is needed to properly mount the devices on boot up and I suspect when they are also hot plugged.

I am running a current Backfire (10.03.1, r29592).

uqbar wrote:

I've solved the "issue". It's mostly about missing extra packages, though.
This is the list of what I've installed:
usbutils (003-1)
libusb-1.0 (1.0.8-1)
block-mount (0.1.0-2.1)
block-hotplug (0.1.0-2.1)
kmod-usb-storage (2.6.32.27-1)
kmod-fs-exportfs (2.6.32.27-1)
kmod-fs-xfs (2.6.32.27-1) [I use xfs]

And it works fine after you have configured the web UI at System->Mount Points->Mount Points.
Maybe I'll try a review of the Wiki. later.

There's another major issue. I think it's a bug.
My external storage is XFS but from time to time during a reboot the file system is not checked/fixed (it should accordingly to the configuration).
The system finds a few inconsistencies and then refuses to mount it.
At the moment I'm forced to fix it with my Linux box and the to attach it back to the router ...

Anyone else with the same issue?

The discussion might have continued from here.