OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kyocera TXDATA073 - Serial Cable - repurpose

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am attempting to re-purpose an old Kyocera TXDATA073 Serial to Cell Phone Cable as a serial port for a router.  Has anyone seen the schematics for this cable.  I haven't figured a clean way to open the case and check the chip next to the DB9 yet, but that's my next move.

Case is cracked and it's a Maxim 3237EAI chip.  Data Sheet shows it as a 5 transmitter 3 receiver chip.  Looks like it will take some time under the magnifier to find what pins go where.

Ok I think I have the connections I need.  For my first test I am going with the following based on magnifier and ohm meter results.

DB9 Pin 2 {RxD} -- Max3237 Pin 10 {T4Out} -- Max3237 Pin 19 {T4In} -- Small Diameter Black Wire --- Serial Port TxD on Router
DB9 Pin 3 {TxD} -- Max3237 Pin 11 {R3In} -- Max3237 Pin 28 {R3Out} -- Orange Wire in Cable --- Serial Port RxD on Router
DB9 Pin 5 {GND} -- Max3237 Pin 2 {GND} -- Large Diameter Black Wire  -- Gnd on Router
Max3237 Pin 26 {VCC} -- Large Diameter Red Wire -- VCC Serial on Router.

I'll post back after the test if successful.

Well Attempt #1 proved fruitless.  Don't know if it's my solder job.  The fact I can't find my USB to Serial adapter and had to try and use kermit and the ttyS0 on my linux server instead or my solder job or the cable.  More attempts to come.

The discussion might have continued from here.