OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Sharing a virtual COM port (USB port) and remote control of a device

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everybody!

Again me with a strange question smile

But, I guess, there are some people, that like to discuss unussual questions. smile

What I would like to do.
I want to plug a usb-controlled microscheme to a USB port of my router that is runing OpenWRT.
I want to use an open-source programm (I will have it soon) to run the device on the USB port.
And i want to have a remote-control web-gui on a PC, that is in the same network, that is my router.
Is not this explanation very messy? smile

The solution I am thinking about is sharing the USB port through the network. Is that possible on OpenWRT?

One more thing: It is actually a virtual COM port. But it is allready supported by the linux kernel older then 2.6.31 (?)

Any ideas?

Thank you!

The USB/IP project is what you're looking for.  Nowever, I have no idea whether you can load a USB-serial driver on top of USB-IP virtual USB port.

Since OpenWrt already has USB and USB-serial drivers, can you split your open source program into two pieces?  One piece running on OpenWrt, the other on your PC.

My latest idea now is to make a daemon, that translates commands from IP port directly to the virtual COM-port (the usb device is actually a virtual com)
It seems to be more simply. But there I have some more questions and I would like to discuss them in a nearest topic here.

But still, if I would like to send the information from the usb-camera to the server - i will need to share my USB port.. Or to run another daemon on local router. I did not decided yet.

The discussion might have continued from here.