OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Tp-link Tl-wr703n

The content of this topic has been archived between 18 Mar 2015 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

An additional note for the netcat. I found that there is different command formt. You may try cat XXX.bin | nc -l -p 3333     for the inbound netcat.
Besides, I've tested with more PC, the netcat copying may NOT stop, needs manual breaking when the destination file size reached.  I ensure the integrity of both files by running md5sum.

faramisimo wrote:

@maurer. power issue?  how much power is it missing and to where exactly can we hard wire it?

not sure how to check it - but i believe the quickest and cleanest solution is powered usb hub.
but is in contrast to everything a portable 3G router should be.

(Last edited by maurer on 21 Oct 2011, 09:32)

to my knowledge the usb plug has 500 mah. 5v. which makes me want to look at the router. the router is rated 5v 1a. which is twice as much power as the usb which is why it comes with a wall adapter. the wall adapter is also 1A. double check yours because i have 2 and one is 500 mah the other is 1a.  ehhh...

what do we do ? we test the box with  a 5v 1A source of power to see if it works. if that does work then the problem is solved and that you would need more power than a usb port can give you.

if it doesnt work then we would need to test it with stock firmware to see if it does work. if it does work then it's coding porblem where  a switch isnt flipped in the right place or right time.
if it doesnt work then its a power source issue.
someone please be kind enough to test and let us know if it will work with a better power supply which in theory should.

--on a side note. does anyone know how to decrypt the stock firmware and encrypt it again. i want to hexedit the chinese out with english.

(Last edited by faramisimo on 23 Oct 2011, 02:23)

maurer wrote:
faramisimo wrote:

@maurer. power issue?  how much power is it missing and to where exactly can we hard wire it?

not sure how to check it - but i believe the quickest and cleanest solution is powered usb hub.

try to connect the wall charger to power the router and make sure it says 1a on the bottom of it because some come with a 500ma (.5a) it should be enough to power the router and the modem. let me know what happens.

it says 1a on both my PS.
even tried it with a 2.5A (5V) PSU but with the same result
k3520-H/Z cannot connect.

Hello, i want to ask you guys a newbie question, does it support BT client after flashing openWRT? i'm completely new to openWRT and just got my unit from www.volumerates.com. i find the original firmware works quite well albeit without an English interface and i don't want to risk bricking it if it doesn't support BT client. Thanks a lot in advance!

no bt client with default installation - not even web interface.
please read the wiki very well before attempting to flash a snapshot openwrt.

bt??? as in bluetooth ???

i am trying to find a way to translate the original firmware but it seems like it's compressed with something. i wouldnt mind decompressing it and hexediting the crap out of it for translation purposes. i am not sure what type of compression is used to compile this thing is there a way to find out?

- edit. -

so i dont mean to hijack the thread here but i thought this might be interesting, perhaps we can find some clues about the huawei.

the stock file is compressed with hsqs. there is a way to extract it i was looking and i found this. http://dns-300.sergeyzh.org/wiki/howto/ … k_firmware
we can rip it apart see what we can find. i have basic skills for this kind of thing i attempted far manager but was unable to get any of the commands to work.

the hsqs starts at 0x100000 and i think it finishes at 0x3b9fff

i will still be going at it but i would appriciate it if i can get a hand decompressing this so i can play with it. big_smile

(Last edited by faramisimo on 24 Oct 2011, 18:50)

bt - bittorrent smile - and i use transmission
you can build it from source but you need more modules like ext4 fs support and ftp.
but i tried and didn't have place for web-gui luci.
so it's either luci or bt+ext4+ftp

(Last edited by maurer on 24 Oct 2011, 18:52)

Thanks for replying. i run openWRT from USB stick and has successfully installed Transmission onto it. but i was unable to start it. i tried both "transmission-daemon" and "/etc/init.d/transmission start" yet nothing happened.any idea what's wrong?

Do you the have "dmesg" result?
BTW, should be irrelevant to what is happening at your box, but for the "snake OS" running at Cavium cn2132, transmission needs the swap enabled to make it stable.

most likely transmission on 703n also needs swap as it has only 32MB ram

yes, i will try to create a swap and see what happen. besides, the latest snapshots doesn't have the Luci web gui built in. when i tried to install it from the default repository, it says unknown package. i want to change the default download address in /etc/opkg.conf and point opkg to download packages from backfire RC5 http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … /packages/? will there be any compatibility problem? sorry for many newbie questions!

yes there will be incompatibilities in kernel - rc5 is built on 2.6.32 and latest trunk is 2.6.39 - quite a big difference smile

if you want to have the latest version with luci - checkout latest svn and build it again.
and about the new wr710n - there is not released yet - i see no firmware on their site so no info about support just yet.
but i see the integrated usb is only used for charging - no interest for me - have a router to charge my phone smile

Does anyone have problem with the wr703n connecting as a wireless client. Mine keeps repeating below in dmsg

wlan0: authenticate with 00:22:b0:d3:a1:b0 (try 1)
wlan0: authenticate with 00:22:b0:d3:a1:b0 (try 2)
wlan0: authenticate with 00:22:b0:d3:a1:b0 (try 3)
wlan0: authentication with 00:22:b0:d3:a1:b0 timed out
ath: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x001!
ath: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms AR_CR=0x00000024 AR_DIAG_SW=0x02000020 DMADBG_7=0x00026e00
ath: Could not stop RX, we could be confusing the DMA engine when we start RX up
ath: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms AR_CR=0x00000024 AR_DIAG_SW=0x02000020 DMADBG_7=0x00006400
ath: Could not stop RX, we could be confusing the DMA engine when we start RX up
maurer wrote:
faramisimo wrote:

3G USB dongle always offline when attached to the wr703n powered by  a standard USB port.maybe the 500ma power is not enough.

500 mA is the standard power for usb.
but do not power the router from - let's say - a computer usb and also expect it to power a usb 3G/4G dongle.
i believe that it was designed to use 0.5 A for it's own system power + 0.5A for powering a USB dongle => so the power from a single usb it's just not enough

WR703N uses max 200mA while boot and averages to 100mA when openwrt is running, 80mA without WiFi. I believe it is able to supply about 200mA to the device on its USB port.

slomusti wrote:

WR703N uses max 200mA while boot and averages to 100mA when openwrt is running, 80mA without WiFi. I believe it is able to supply about 200mA to the device on its USB port.

then why the 1000mA PSU ?

There are two possible reasons. The internal voltage regulator has max output somewhere between 300mA and 500mA (can not be determined exactly, because the number on the chip does not identify it), the same goes for the regulator that supplies the USB port.

If you add up all absolute maximum ratings , you can get up to 1A, but the actual consumtion is nowhere near that.

Computer USB ports supply by default 100mA USB 1.0, 2.0 , USB 3.0 150mA, but depends on the computer. Higher current draw is only enabled if there is a communication through the port and the device negotiates a high-power mode. Bu then again, not all computers follow standards.

My 703N works just fine from a mac laptop, whithout an additional USB modem.

they all work just fine without the extra usb dongle.

now if some of the modems do work and a couple of brands dont, that's not a power issue. i also dont think its an issue getting enough power from the usb port since it also doesnt work with the 1.0A PSU and thats well more than what it needs.

the modem powers up when connected (i guess in standby mode).  this shows that the power is there and waiting for a command to activate.  we should find out whats going on in that area.. what is the commands that are sent for activation if any and if there is some sort of communication between the 2 is it the right command for waking it up?

i am not sure how to check that so i will leave it for someone who knows his/her stuff.

good luck

Hello, I just bricked my 703n last night when trying to flash it with openwrt trunk compiled by myself. Now it doesn't response to anything, reset during powerup, ping, telnet... nothing. The power led just keep lighted solidly. Any idea?

I think I have to go with the serial console. As already pointed out, TP_In is Rx and TP_Out is Tx. Where's the GND? I saw a TPGND on the PCB. But that position is just impossible to solder (The solder of TP_In and TP_Out are already quite difficult for my v1.1 PCB, but they still worth a trying). Could the shielding ground (like the metal cover of the USB connector) be used?

Thanks.

P.S. I should have mentioned that I tried to connect throught the LAN port.

(Last edited by hato on 31 Oct 2011, 02:55)

yes, you can use any other shilding as GND - at least this is what i've done with an old asus router
good luck!