OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear WNR2000 OpenWRT (Atheros AP81, AR9103 chip, u-boot)

The content of this topic has been archived between 3 Apr 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@jpleboeuf, I would be happy to share my files. Unfortunately, I don't have access to them right now, but I will in about a week.

Hello all,

I have the WNR2000v3 - I'm having troubles with WPA2 (keeps timing out) on stock firmware, and is therefore completely useless to me.

I'd be happy to try something like the WNR2000v1 method to get dd-wrt on it - regardless of the bricking risk, as its a piece of shit and basicly a brick as is.

Let me know of things to try,

Thanks,
VXJG67

vxjg67 wrote:

Hello all,

I have the WNR2000v3 - I'm having troubles with WPA2 (keeps timing out) on stock firmware, and is therefore completely useless to me.

I'd be happy to try something like the WNR2000v1 method to get dd-wrt on it - regardless of the bricking risk, as its a piece of shit and basicly a brick as is.

Let me know of things to try,

Thanks,
VXJG67

I suggest get a serial cable smile then a ram disk image ready, just boot up and play with it., from the console

Sorry for the delay, but the requested files (for v1) are here:

rootfs-squashfs.bin
uImage-lzma.bin

Just to recap:

This is a build with working wifi and DHCP from Backfire RC5. I've been running it for about a month and it is working great for me. There are a couple hundred kb of space left so you can actually save your settings smile

Basically follow the instructions from fuhry on post #91:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 22#p124422

Except don't snarf uImage and root.sqfs from him, use the links above. If you brick your router follow my instructions a few posts back.

Good luck, and post if you have problems, I'm subscribed to the thread.

EDIT: These files are now outdated. Please see my post below

(Last edited by radengr on 8 Apr 2012, 03:54)

I'm having a small problem your built radengr, I find the wan port isn't working as expected. I get an IP address via DHCP dns and subnet mask are set correctly, but when I connect a computer to the router (which also gets an ip and everything) that computer can't connect to the internet, or to anything not directly attached.

Now since this is for testing, I have this router connected to another router (WNR2000 WAN -> Airport Extreme Lan port) this configuration works on the stock firmware.

I'm trying to compile a build right now and I'll see if works, but if that doesn't work what could it be?

Same subnet on WAN and LAN side?

fuhry wrote:

Builds have been updated to include libiwinfo.

Does that include repartitioning setup? I have just noticed that after Snarfing @fuhry's partitioning setup, I ended up without libiwinfo. I have tried installing libiw, but that was not enough to get the Wireless working. Repartitioning setup is based on Backfire 10.3 and libiwinfo is not listed in the package list (http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … /packages/).

So my question is: Can I have repartitioning setup with working wireless. I want the advantage of extra space without a compromise in functionality. I can obviously build my own images that will be based on latest backfire, but I will loose the special partitioning set up by @fuhry. Anyone knows which mtd's need to be erased updated coming from partitioned setup( 2816krootfs ) back to normal setup (2304k rootfs)?

Partitioning image file sizes.
Partition                                   Stock by @fuhry       Partitioned by @fuhry
mtd0 (u-boot)                          210,100                      262,144
mtd1 (u-boot-env)                   65,536                        65,536
mtd2 (rootfs)                           2,170,884                   2,359,296
mtd3 (user-config)                  N/A                             65,536
mtd4 (uImage)                        871,266                      1,179,648
mtd5 (language_table)            N/A                             131,072
mtd6 (rootfs_checksum)        N/A                             65,536
mtd7 (ART)                             N/A                             N/A

So going back to non-partitioned setup will involve erasing mtd 3,5,6 and overwriting the rest. Am I thinking right? Just wanted to confirm with someone who has tried the partitioned setup.

Thanks!

@radengr Thanks a lot smile I will find the time to look at your files.

Sorry to ask again, but does someone have partition images (backup) for the stock firmware?

radengr wrote:

Sorry for the delay, but the requested files (for v1) are here:

rootfs-squashfs.bin
uImage-lzma.bin

Just to recap:

This is a build with working wifi and DHCP from Backfire RC5. I've been running it for about a month and it is working great for me. There are a couple hundred kb of space left so you can actually save your settings smile

Basically follow the instructions from fuhry on post #91:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 22#p124422

Except don't snarf uImage and root.sqfs from him, use the links above. If you brick your router follow my instructions a few posts back.

Good luck, and post if you have problems, I'm subscribed to the thread.

Hi,

I followed radengr's guide on my WNR2000v1 (I think). All went to plan without error. Was able to telnet in, set passwd and now ssh in ok. I get:-

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2011-08-23 18:08:07 MDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 Backfire (10.03.1-RC5, r27608) --------------------------
  * 1/3 shot Kahlua    In a shot glass, layer Kahlua 
  * 1/3 shot Bailey's  on the bottom, then Bailey's, 
  * 1/3 shot Vodka     then Vodka.
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

I then open up my web browser and type http://192.168.1.1 and it redirects to http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/check_hj.html with the error 'No such file or directory'.

I can get internet access through a wired connection, dhcp working just fine.

Any ideas?

Just a bit of an FYI for those that are building their own OpenWRT images and using fuhry's partitioning for the extra 500K.  You need to change the file target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-wnr2000.c to read:

#ifdef CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS
static struct mtd_partition wnr2000_partitions[] = {
        {
                .name           = "u-boot",
                .offset         = 0,
                .size           = 0x040000,
                .mask_flags     = MTD_WRITEABLE,
        } , {
                .name           = "u-boot-env",
                .offset         = 0x040000,
                .size           = 0x010000,
        } , {
                .name           = "rootfs",
                .offset         = 0x050000,
                .size           = 0x2c0000,
        } , {
                .name           = "uImage",
                .offset         = 0x310000,
                .size           = 0x0e0000,
        } , {
                .name           = "art",
                .offset         = 0x3f0000,
                .size           = 0x010000,
                .mask_flags     = MTD_WRITEABLE,
        }
};
#endif /* CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS */

I also use the following kernel commandline:
rootfstype=squashfs console=ttyS0,115200 board=WNR2000 panic=10 init=/etc/preinit rootdelay=2 -- console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=ar7100-nor0:256k(u-boot),64k(u-boot-env),2816k(rootfs),896k(uImage),64k(ART) board=WNR2000 mem=32M

I would like to thank fuhry and radengr for their excellent work with the WNR2000v1. I was totally new to OpenWRT this evening - moved from DD-WRT because of the lack of support for this model, and with your instructions, I have successfully flashed my router. big_smile

I intend to create a newbies guide to flashing this router for people like me who don't understand the full technical terms of everything. cool

I was wondering, now OpenWRT version 10.03.1-rc6 has been released (as of November 1st), is it possible / what are the benefits of downloading and flashing;

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … c6/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-ap81-rootfs-squashfs.bin
http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … c6/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-lzma.bin

Are radengr's files on post 129 patched specifically for the WNR2000v1 ? - or now the u-boot has been flashed - can you simply update to RC6 using the files above? hmm

Only issues I have currently are; is there likely to be a fix to add the LED (i) on for internet connection on the WAN port (or even through LAN or virtual WWAN - maybe initiated by successful ping?) Default loading page on 192.168.1.1 (redirected to 192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/check_hijack.html) shows " No such file or directory ". Is there any way to automatically forward to "192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci" ?

cool

(Last edited by outrage_uk on 30 Nov 2011, 05:19)

I throw myself on your tender mercies.

I've got three WNR2000 v1's and have successfully upgraded to Open-WRT on two of them but I must have done something really stupid (yes I have checked the Troubleshooting and FAQ pages) as #3 is sitting with the Power light blinking in a accusatory manner.

I installed using the combination of Fuhry's repartitioning and mtd chunks and everything seemed to be going fine and dandy right up to the reboot.

I'm assuming that it's currently running in TFTP rescue mode as I can tftp to the router but I'm stuck as to which image file I can send to debrick it. I can't use the stock Netgear firmware as I repartitioned (unless I misread that posting) and there isn't a custom firmware version to try (yet??).

Is this really the situation (in a way I hope someone says yes because then I understand it but also hope someone says no because then I can fix my router :-)

If I'm going to have to open up the box to attach a RS232/TTL serial adapter to the header pins, is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290642113566? … 1423.l2649

Any and all advice gratefully received,

Newb here trying to install openwrt on my WNR2000v1 using fuhry's instructions in post #91. I can't telnet or ssh into my router:

pizzaface@ubuntu:$ ping 192.168.1.1
PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=128 time=0.718 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=2 ttl=128 time=0.713 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=3 ttl=128 time=2.13 ms
^C
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1998ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.713/1.188/2.134/0.669 ms
pizzaface@ubuntu:$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
pizzaface@ubuntu:$ ssh 192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection refused
pizzaface@ubuntu:$ ssh admin@192.168.1.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection refused

What's going on?

(Last edited by pizzaface on 16 Dec 2011, 01:08)

I followed the instruction and everything seem to went well, but once the router restarted, not getting any ip. is there anything can be done?

~ # snarf -q http://fuhry.co.cc/b/wnr2000/install-repart.sh - | grep -v host: |
/bin/sh -

OpenWRT repartitioning install script for Netgear WNR2000
Written by Dan Fuhry <dan@enanocms.org>

Please direct questions to the following OpenWRT forum thread:
        https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=18279

This script will destroy all of your settings. Do not unplug your
router during the installation, or you run a very real risk of
turning it into a brick.

Press Ctrl-C within 5 seconds to abort.
Downloading files... (total 4MB)
0_u-boot
1_u-boot-env
2_rootfs
3_user-config
4_uImage
5_language_table
6_rootfs_checksum
Installing bootloader - DO NOT RESET ROUTER
Unlocking mtd0 ...
Erasing mtd0 ...
Writing from 0_u-boot to mtd0 ...  [w]
Installing bootloader environment
Unlocking mtd1 ...
Erasing mtd1 ...
Writing from 1_u-boot-env to mtd1 ...  [w]
Installing OpenWRT
Unlocking mtd2 ...
Erasing mtd2 ...
Writing from 2_rootfs to mtd2 ...  [w]
Unlocking mtd3 ...
Erasing mtd3 ...
Writing from 3_user-config to mtd3 ...  [w]
Unlocking mtd4 ...
Erasing mtd4 ...
Writing from 4_uImage to mtd4 ...  [w]
Unlocking mtd5 ...
Erasing mtd5 ...
Writing from 5_language_table to mtd5 ...  [w]
Unlocking mtd6 ...
Erasing mtd6 ...
Writing from 6_rootfs_checksum to mtd6 ...  [w]
REBOOTING

The system is going down NOW !!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.

Connection to host lost.

C:\Users\******\Desktop\telnetEnable>telnet 192.168.1.1
Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: C
onnect failed

I have a wnr2000v1 that had been running OpenWRT for 7months that suddenly stopped working. I hooked up a serial port and the kernel had trouble mounting the root partition.

VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
 <0>Rebooting in 10 seconds

I've tried loading various openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-initramfs-lzma.bin files and they load and start but then get a kernel panic.  I've tried erasing mtd1 and mtd4 and also changing the bootargs(console=ttyS0,115200 root=31:02 init=/sbin/init mtdparts=ar7100-nor0:256k(u-boot),64k(u-boot-env),2304k(rootfs),64k(user-config),1152k(uImage),128k(language_table),64k(rootfs_checksum),64k(ART)
) and also loading WNR2000_V1.2.3.7NA.img via the TFTP recovery process but none of them have worked.

Does anybody have any suggestions(and binaries) on how to get it working again?

Edit: found out how to rewrite individual partitions.
to rewrite u-boot-env area:
ar7100> tftpboot 0x81000000 ubootenv-stockpartitions.img
ar7100> erase nor0,1  or erase 0xbf040000 +0x10000
ar7100> cp.b 0x81000000 0xbf040000 0x10000

to rewrite rootfs area:
ar7100> tftpboot 0x81000000 openwrt-ar71xx-ap81-rootfs-squashfs.bin
ar7100> erase nor0,2  or erase 0xbf050000 +0x240000
ar7100> cp.b 0x81000000 0xbf050000 0x240000

to rewrite uImage area:
ar7100> tftpboot 0x81000000 openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-lzma.bin
ar7100> erase nor0,4  or erase 0xbf2a0000 +0x120000
ar7100> cp.b 0x81000000 0xbf2a0000 0x120000

(Last edited by watch111 on 7 Jan 2012, 21:46)

Does anyone successfully flash the uboot on wnr2000v1 for openwrt?
I have successfully worked the final Backfire Interim Release 1 (10.03.1).
The next step I want to automatically startup of the software.

Thank.

Thank you Dan Fuhr for his u-boot!
I now have a fully functional device WNR2000v1.

To light a led of ppp connection I'm using a script.

/etc/ppp/ip-up/led-on

echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio15/direction
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value
echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/unexport

Thanks to @radengr and @fuhry
I am able to follow the steps and install OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-RC5 on WNR2000v1

Since Backfire 10.03.1 final is now released, can I upgrade the firmware to this version ?
I'm looking the image on http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/, but could not figure out which one to use.

Thank you.

For create the image I used the command:
make image PACKAGES="uhttpd kmod-ath9k wpad-mini wireless-tools iw libuci libuci-lua libc libgcc lua libiwinfo  -kmod-usb2 -kmod-usb-core -kmod-usb-ohci -ppp-mod-pppoe -kmod-pppoe openl2tp"

For install openl2tp I remove Luci.

Watch111, following Radengr's post worked for me:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 81#p141781

watch111 wrote:

I have a wnr2000v1 that had been running OpenWRT for 7months that suddenly stopped working. I hooked up a serial port and the kernel had trouble mounting the root partition.

VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
 <0>Rebooting in 10 seconds

I just flashed my WNR2000v1 with Backfire 10.03.1 final. Seems to be working well. The good thing is newer builds are a bit smaller now and so there doesn't seem to be any need to compile OpenWRT from source for this router anymore (unless you need something special?). After flashing I had 176 KB free.

Here are the instructions for *v1* only (all of this info is already in the thread, but just for good measure I'm repeating some of it here). I strongly recommend doing this with a serial console. If you have one it is much harder to get stuck with a bricked router. It isn't that hard, you just need a cheap ttl level serial device. On ebay you can get one for *less* than $3 *shipped* with the cables you need for this router. Just search for "USB 2.0 to UART TTL Serial Converter CP2102" or similar. You don't absolutely have to have one, but it is good insurance. They are just handy to have around anyway, I have about 4 smile.

Installation instructions from a new router (running the Netgear Factory Firmware):

Somehow get access to a command prompt. This is either done by enabling telnet (see earlier in this thread or the wiki) or (my preferred method) hooking up a ttl level serial cable.

Then the following will install OpenWRT:

cd /tmp
snarf http://fuhry.co.cc/b/wnr2000/ubootenv-stockpartitions.img
snarf http://fuhry.co.cc/b/wnr2000/u-boot.bin
snarf http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-ap81-rootfs-squashfs.bin
snarf http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-lzma.bin
mtd -e mtd0 write u-boot.bin mtd0
mtd -e mtd1 write ubootenv-stockpartitions.img mtd1
mtd -e mtd2 write openwrt-ar71xx-ap81-rootfs-squashfs.bin mtd2
mtd -e mtd4 write openwrt-ar71xx-uImage-lzma.bin mtd4
reboot

If you are running an older build of OpenWRT I haven't had much luck flashing without going through the Netgear firmware first. I haven't tried very hard either though so if someone has a better method please chime in. Remeber to download the factory firmware before wiping your router if that is going to leave you without internet access. To get back to the factory firmware you have two options:

The first (from OpenWRT):

mtd erase u-boot-env
mtd erase uImage
reboot

The second (from the uboot recovery console):

mtdparts default
erase nor0,4
erase nor0,1

Then reboot the router, tftp flash a copy of an official firmware from Netgear, and follow the instructions above. Enjoy, and thanks again to fuhry for patching uboot!

I was expecting to have a better connection and flashed the OpenWTR following the last steps on this posterior post, and I could flash correctly, but now I can't setup the internet again, the tutorial is very hard, even using the CLI.

I'm using time warner channel and don't have a big experience in network, can anyone help me on this?

I created a alias called modem, as it suggested, tried first using the static ip and DHCP but both fail on connection, what is my mistake on it?

Thanks in advance!

You most likely just need to reset your cable modem (pull the power for 30 seconds). And leave the OpenWrt WAN settings at default (DHCP Client).