OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Vdsl2

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Apr 2018 and 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

When will there be VDSL2 hardware, that is supported by OpenWrt?

Some  Lantiq Chips have support for VDSL2. There is an ongoing effort to support this in OpenWrt and Linux.

Some Broadcom Chips also support VDSL2, but AFAIR, there is no effort to support the VDSL2-functionality in Linux.

(Last edited by Orca on 23 May 2013, 11:56)

[x] Never

Openwrt on VRX288 is doable if someone is willing to put in some hours. I only know two vendors with suitable products. Arcadyan (don't remember model name) and ZyXEL (P2812HNU-F1/3). I've got a P2812HNU-F3 with 128MB DDR and 128MB NAND Flash + 16MB NOR Flash. It's already running Uboot/Linux..

# uname -a
Linux P-2812HNU 2.6.20.19 #31 Fri Aug 19 13:02:30 CST 2011 mips unknown
# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type        : VR9
processor        : 0
cpu model        : MIPS 34K V5.5

There is many version of P2812HNU, only those with -F1 or -F3 is using VRX288E. Where did you see reference to dual 24KEc?

VRX200 series != Vinax.

Vinax is a older chipset w/2x MIPS24KEc while VRX (VR9) series use MIPS34K.

Correct. All ARX100 chipsets are AR9 and all/both VRX200 chips are VR9.

Also got one of these modems in the door, Zyxel P2812NHU, no F1 or F3 suffix. I had a look at the chip on the print board Lantiq PSB 80190 ver. 1.1 XWAY VRX208. Tried to read those diffs. from the commits,  but as a non OpenWRT dev. but struggle getting the big pictur. Anyone that care to shed some light on what's working and what's not?

BTW, for you that got the VRX288 here some specs http://www.lantiq.com/uploads/tx_abzlan … 1_lres.pdf.

(Last edited by steinmb on 11 Nov 2011, 17:55)

steinmb wrote:

Also got one of these modems in the door, Zyxel P2812NHU, no F1 or F3 suffix. I had a look at the chip on the print board Lantiq PSB 80190 ver. 1.1 XWAY VRX208. Tried to read those diffs. from the commits,  but as a non OpenWRT dev. but struggle getting the big pictur. Anyone that care to shed some light on what's working and what's not?

BTW, for you that got the VRX288 here some specs http://www.lantiq.com/uploads/tx_abzlan … 1_lres.pdf.

If it's a P2812, then it's a VRX288 based device. If it has no F1 or F3 suffix it's a non-OBM model made for a specific customer. Based on your username I will make a educated guess and say that you have a P2812HNU-F3 device made for Telenor in Norway.

Thanx! That is correct, my VDSL2 router is Telenor branded. So I got a VRX288 chip and should be (correct me if I'm wrong):
* CPU MIPS 34K VRX (VR9) series http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/34K
* XWAY VRX288 Home DSL Gateway chipset
* XWAY PHY11G physical layer chipset (ethernet)
* WAVE 300 WLAN chipset (2.4/5Gb)

(Last edited by steinmb on 24 Nov 2011, 12:02)

steinmb wrote:

Thanx! That is correct, my VDSL2 router is Telenor branded. So I got a VRX288 chip and should be (correct me if I'm wrong):
* CPU MIPS 34K VRX (VR9) series http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/34K
* XWAY VRX288 Home DSL Gateway chipset
* XWAY PHY11G physical layer chipset (ethernet)
* WAVE 300 WLAN chipset (2.4/5Gb)

Almost, there is no Wave 300 wifi chipset in that model. It's using a Ralink PCIe wifi chip. The CPU is called VRX288E and it's a 34k Mips type CPU.

steinmb wrote:

Ah, so they embedded the 34K core in the VRX228 system in a chip. The Ralink PCIe - http://www.ralinktech.com/en/02_product … ta3_sn=404 any of these?

Yes, the VRX288 is a SoC with a 34K mips core.
The Ralink PCIe chip seems to be RT3592 but with 5Ghz disabled in the driver or some chip-fuse.

Any progress? My telenor branded P-2812HNU-F3 is waiting for OpenWrt...

I just managed to break into my P-2812HNU-F3, and guess what? It is already running OpenWrt!!

ZySH> show version
ZyXEL Communications Corp.
model           : ZyXEL P2610
firmware version: ZySHv2 build test
build date      : 2009-06-08
OS information : Linux version 2.6.20.19 (waynelai@Valkyrie) (gcc version 3.4.6 (OpenWrt-2.0)) #31 Fri Aug 19 13:02:30 CST 2011

Application Version
==========================
bridge-utils-1.4
busybox-1.10.4
dnsmasq-2.49
dropbear-0.52
ebtables-v2.0.8-1
fuse-2.7.4
igmpproxy-0.1-beta2
iproute2-2.6.20
iptables-1.3.8
libbase64-0.0.1
libccc
libedit-20080712-2.11
libpcap-1.0.0
libupnp-1.4.2
linuxigd-1.0
logrotate-3.7.1
mini_httpd
mtd-utils-1.0.0
ncurses-5.7
ntfs-3g-2009.4.4
ntpclient-2007
openssh-5.2p1
openssl-0.9.7f
ppp-2.4.4
pure-ftpd-1.0.23
samba-3.0.36
syslog-ng-2.0.6
sysstat-8.1.8
tcpdump-4.0.0
updatedd-2.6
usbautomount-0.0.1
wireless_tools.29

YAY! I'll guess the filesystem is read only so we are unable to install more applications? Done some hacking on what drivers they are using? BTW, does ZyXEL contribute back to the kernel?

@zoot: I have a Zyxel P-2812HNU-F1, branded by TTNET (Turkish Telekom).
Can you please give me a few hints how to get OpenWRT on that machine?

Due to branding it does not even accept regular firmware updates from Zyxel website (it has 3.10, and does not want 3.11), but I want make more use of this box!

Thank you!

are there still plans to support the VR9? If yes, is there anything I can do to help? I own a FritzBox WLAN 3370.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. But I try. I got the latest OpenWrt trunk source via svn. I notified that there are VR9 build options. I tried to build for VR9/FritzBox 3370. I didn't expect it to compile. and it did not. After checking failures I saw that the ltq-dsl-app is missing required headers. After checking Config.in files and Makefiles of the project I also found out, that the VR9 kernel module is disabled. I tried to enable it which also results in compiling failures of the kernel module (because of missing headres). This must be the reason why it is disabled. I do have some basic programming knowledge. I was googling around to find some documentation/example code for the VR9. I didn't realy find something.  Where does the code in ltq-dls come from? Copyright says from LANTIQ, but I can't find it on their website. Does anybody have specification for the chip? Should the ltq-dsl stuff work with that chip, or is it only from AR9 and should be ported to VR9? Are you trying to support VR9 targets and you are not finished or are you about to remove the VR9 stuff? If you are trying to support the VR9 ist there anything I can do to help (even with my basic programming skills)?

I had a look at the netgear opensource code. To me that looks good. I am not yet brave enough to put openwrt to my box (I didn't understand yet how to get it on the box). But maybe I can try the VDSL stuff on my box running freetz before I switch to openwrt. I think the following packages are needed for VDSL stuff:
* drv_mei_cpe_1.2.0
* drv_dsl_cpe_api_4.11.4_VRX
* dsl_cpe_control_4.11.4_VRX
I managed it to compile these packages for my box (using freetz). Unfortunately I do not understand how it works together. Why do I have two kernel modules and what is the dsl_cpe_control package doing? AVM uses three modules for VDSL support (mei_vr9, dsl_vr9 and kdsldmod). According to the symbols in the modules mei_vr9 ist something like drv_mei_cpe and dsl_vr9 ist doing something like drv_dsl_cpe_api. The module kdsldmod must be something that creates a AVM interface common to other boxes. I Think I need  dsl_cpe_control as replacement. But what else do I need? Who is doing the PPPOE thing? If  drv_mei_cpe is the modem driver what is drv_dsl_cpe_api? Googeling around didn't really help to get the information I need. Is there some documentation about how the things are working together (I mean drv_mei_cpe, drv_dsl_cpe_api,  dsl_cpe_control and PPPOE stuff)?

Thanks Stefan

(Last edited by speedy734 on 2 Sep 2012, 08:42)

AVM manufactures and sells their pretty cool products since years now. To not make ti too easy for possible concurence products to profit from their efforts, they keep/kept much of their work closed source inside their dsld. It's a 1MB binary ;-)

AFAIK the dsld contains the driver or parts of the driver for the DSL. dsld does much more, it's also a very fast NAT/Firewall entity. See http://freetz.org/wiki/packages/iptables for some insight on dsld. It also contains a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069 daemon.

In other words, I don't think you can utilize freetz to obtain VDSL2 functionality in OpenWrt.