OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT Kamikaze on TP-link tl-wa501g?

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Aug 2014 and 5 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

As i said before i have plenty of space.
Mode 1: everything is bridge. one tagged vlan and one untagged have 320KB free space
Mode 2: bridge/iptables/dhcp .... router mode with WAN i have 120KB free space

I do not need space ! I need speed smile

Mode 2 is useless because we can make 1-2MB maximum with lan cable. Normally we should make 8-9MB.
The problem comes from iptables and software routing. I did all tests with torrents. On single connection you can make 2.5MB. Torrents are the best test. You have hundreds of connections or more.

According to marvell specs:

"2.2 Routing with the Marvell® Header
The detailed information regarding this feature requires an NDA with Marvell Semiconductor. Please contact your
local Marvell Sales Representative for more information."

May be there is something inside the chip which can help but will need reverse engeneering or lot's of driver fixes.

Conclusion: TPlink 340GD with nat/router is too slow comparing to the original software. At least 4-5 times more slower. No sense to use router mode with openwrt for now.

(Last edited by sanitariu on 6 Oct 2011, 09:47)

dude could u upload or email me your current  rootfs and kernel as i  want to try my setup with client mode wifi with dhcp server

thanks in advance
ps :  how much ram is free in the current build with dhcp and iptables maybe with more ram we can accept more speed's....!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you think doing sd card modd and assigning space as swap would improve perfomance of the router...........   or  a ram mod  i have several compliant 16 mb rams i haven't checked this out yet  redboot has to be recompiled to support 16mb ram modd    ..

let me know what you think i am very interested  in sd card modd but am unable to find gpio pins in router i am only (17) so don't have required tools (multimeter) so once we find gpio pins an sd card modd can be attached...... i think the slower data rate over lan is related to not enough ram

free ram is between 500-1000KB. Have ram. Have space too. As I said with TP-Link340 you will never do speed with iptables except if you use some special features in marvell 80e6060 chip. CPU is 183Mhz and is doing ksoft...
I already abandoned router project and now testing bridge mode with vlans.

to sanitaru

could you email me your rootfs and kernel of the current build
email ajay.acer@gmail.com

thank's a lot in advance

(Last edited by drekthar on 7 Oct 2011, 14:42)

I will do when ready.
Still swconfig is not working !!!!
I dunno the reason but manually setting the phy registers of marvell chip in the code is working.
Now trying some patches from dd-wrt.
If someone has more information about swconfig please share.
Dark... i will put config and images online for free when it is ready. Now we need only swconfig working.
If you plan to use 340GD for something except bridge mode all better take another router. That one will not be enough fast compared with original firmware.

okay thankyou.........

will keep in touch

hi guys,
i wanted to buy this router yesterday but on the box said - v4.0
will it support openwrt?
on tp-link site said there is also a v5 available

v4.0 is AR8236+AR2317
v5.0 is 88E6060+AR2317
switcher may fails for wrong version

Hi there guys,

I used the xssa mode to flash my TPWR340GD...

All works fine: OpenWrt SSID shows in my networks list... but when I tried to connect I can't ... the router does not give me an IP.

Also this ocurrs if I use via ethernet.... and obviously I does not have Internet connection (WAN IP not recognized)

Thanks!

I come back, I used a someone's config:

/etc/config/wireless
config 'wifi-device' 'wifi0'
        option 'type' 'atheros'
        option 'channel' '5'
        option 'disabled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'wifi0'
        option 'network' 'wan'
        option 'mode' 'sta'
        option 'key' '*********'
        option 'txpower' '19'
        option 'ssid' '**********'
        option 'encryption' 'psk'

/etc/config/network

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'dns' '192.168.1.100'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.1.100'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.55'

config 'interface' 'wan'
       option 'ifname' 'eth1'
       option 'proto' 'dhcp'

Now I have INTERNET BRIDGE VIA LAN1 ... Wan Network is not displayed....

jochy2525 wrote:

All works fine: OpenWrt SSID shows in my networks list... but when I tried to connect I can't ... the router does not give me an IP.

Also this ocurrs if I use via ethernet.... and obviously I does not have Internet connection (WAN IP not recognized)

dude ... read the wiki first... the image you flashed the router is a minimal image it does not have a dhcp server and you can only run the router in ap with wep encryption...  as hostapd is not included in current build ...you have to assign static ip to the router to get connected .......the switch in the router is not recognised properly sanitaru is trying to fix i don't know whether he finished email him... to find out

ps read the wiki on wr340g

pss
the image you flashed to the router is meant to do  routed client mode wds client with wpa-psk encryption
if you want  to do something else you have to compile your own image for the router for your own setup......

you need to compile images based on you custom need as there is limitation in available space in the router only 2mb

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Oct 2011, 04:01)

It is useless in router mode, because you are limited to speeds like 2MB !
The only practical way is using it like a bridge. The image in the wiki is enough for that.
We also miss switch interface and looking at the code I did not see any swconfig or /proc/switch stuff.
I abandoned router mode and now using only bridge mode. I just added vlan support. That's all.

sanitariu

i need dnsmasq in the image could you provide your rootfs and kernel and with dnsmasq support

thanks a lot in advance

could you email me ajay.acer@gmail.com

thanks a lot in advance

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Oct 2011, 12:02)

drekthar wrote:

dude ... read the wiki first... the image you flashed the router is a minimal image it does not have a dhcp server and you can only run the router in ap with wep encryption...  as hostapd is not included in current build ...you have to assign static ip to the router to get connected .......the switch in the router is not recognised properly sanitaru is trying to fix i don't know whether he finished email him... to find out

thanks drekthar! Today I start using the router ... now that I know that it's has not got DHCP, I start using the WiFI that provides me... it bridges the WAN connection with WLAN... and now I have in my notebook my ISP's IP.

I want to secure the network with psk or wep, I followed the WR340G Wiki with Wpa Supplicant... I modify the config ... but stills Open Ap ...

only wep encryption will work in order for wep specify syntax for wep correctly in /etc/config/wireless

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Oct 2011, 15:36)

Now WEP works... but I think is insecure.... does anybody knows how to use WPA or WPA2?

drekthar wrote:

only wep encryption will work in order for wep specify syntax for wep correctly in /etc/config/wireless

thanks man! do you know if i can modify the leds config?

sanitariu

as you are not doing any more test could you provide your rootfs and kernel with dhcp

i need dnsmasq in the image

thanks a lot in advance

could you email me ajay.acer@gmail.com

thanks a lot in advance

Hi there,

My ISP gives me two IPs, usually, I use one for desktop, and the other one for notebook.

The problem is that now I connect the desktop, and Wan does not give an IP...

Could anybody help?

Thanks

Hello for all. Great'n hot discussion.

winword wrote:

v4.0 is AR8236+AR2317
v5.0 is 88E6060+AR2317
switcher may fails for wrong version

Men, you are wrong.

TL-WR340GD v2.x is AR2317+88E6060 (In 2010 i did a kernel and rootfs patch to support VLANs but enabling VLANs and SWCONFIG will significantly increase CPU load and gives significant loss of speed even on simple LAN ports bridging so I don't include mvsvitch driver in working image.)

TL-WR340GD v3.0 is ar2317+ar8236 (I disasmed tplink vxWorks core to find constants to enable CPU port in the switch and wrote simple driver for kernel. Eth is working but no VLANs. BUT!!! There still no support for ethernet in uRedBoot. There is updated uRedBoot in newer images with XYmodem support. You must solder serial console to flash it.)

TL-WR340GD v4.0 is AR9331 SoC with 2Mb/16Mb Flash/RAM. Board looks the same as board for TL-WR741 v4.x (can look here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd) Untill now nothing is done to port Linux on it.

TL-WR340GD v5.0 has not seen in wild so no info about it.

Guys, do you have some space to upload?
@sanitariu  i didn't receive any messages from you.

why don't you use 4shared or mediafire free account?
toastman from tomatousb project is using it with great success
www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html
and googlecode.com as you svn.
...just an idea...

xssa wrote:

Hello for all. Great'n hot discussion.

TL-WR340GD v2.x is AR2317+88E6060 (In 2010 i did a kernel and rootfs patch to support VLANs but enabling VLANs and SWCONFIG will significantly increase CPU load and gives significant loss of speed even on simple LAN ports bridging so I don't include mvsvitch driver in working image.)

yes tplink put a stupid switch that are not are not 802.11q VLAN compatible.so such ugly hack required which have drastic effect on perfomance on low processor

xssa wrote:

Guys, do you have some space to upload?
@sanitariu  i didn't receive any messages from you.

xssa i dont have private server but i know certain sites like (4shared,mediafire) that allow hosting file for free
the wiki of wr340g is hosted by 4shared......

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Dec 2011, 15:45)

XSSA

WR542G V7
The WR542g i found has 16MB SDRAM EtronTech EM639165TS-6G.The vxkiller made by xssa work's very good but only problem is that redboot only detects 8MB ram..... so new redboot is required for 2mb flash and 16mb ram
can someone help in making microredboot for this device as microredboot source from ddwrt svn fails to compile giving error....

thanks in advance

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Dec 2011, 16:04)