OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Good 5GHz router for openwrt

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm currently running TP-Link 1043ND, with 8dBi antennas. I have 2.4GHz band very crowded (I usually see about 20 networks when scanning), but 5Ghz band is entirely unused, I don't see any stations in this band.

I want to change my router to some 5ghz router, I considering D-Link DIR-825, it has 8 MB flash, fast CPU, but only two antennas. And as far as I understand there are no high gain antennas sold by D-Link for 5ghz (there are high gain 2.4 GHz antennas, but no 5ghz).

So I doubt would it be better? The band is unused, but, probably range would be worse because of 2x2 MIMO (vs 3x3) and stock antennas (vs high gain).

Is there any supported 5ghz router with 3x3 MIMO? Maybe there are some routers which are crafted specially for 5ghz band, having high gain antennas optimized for 5ghz band.

How much budget?

DIR825 revB is around 110$ CDN at staples. i have two (sadly ones a revA) and like them very much. very openWRT friendly and with 8GB flash stick in usb port has lots of room. only problem i have with it currently is that although its listed as having 2 identical wireless cards they dont have same capabilities. only one supports 5GHz and one is 2.. so with one is b/g/n i think and other is a/n capable. or maybe im just a nub and cant figure it out. IMHO though by far the best feature is the recovery mode which if you are like me and lay a lot of bricks, comes in VERY handy.

as a side note im also running on a DIR615 which is a piece of junk unless you fold up the antennas (cause you can't remove them) and strip it down to be a border firewall.

to give to a good home i have a WRT55AG which i dont even have the expertise to brick yet, if anyone wants it for dev work its yours, but speak soon because my son could use it even if its stock. i've contacted linksys/cisco about getting software for it but they say due to GPL limitation they cannot. #RANT_START# which really seems wrong to me, i thought that was the point of GPL.... my guess is they used some open and some not-so-open sources together and got caught (and hopefully paid a fine) but still cant release anything. who knows.#RANT_END# but its useless to me.

The discussion might have continued from here.