OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: bricked? tl-mr3220

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was flashing my router and lost power at the beginning. The router is now inaccessible using failsafe because (I think) the bootloader is non-existent . I don't have experience with serial console would this be recoverable with a serial port connection? There is no jtag on this board.

--
Thanks

most likely yes. read article port.serial in the wiki.

Ok thank you.
I will try it, but I am still doubtful it will work. as the wiki says (port.serial):

"So in contrast to the JTAG-Port, the Serial Ports needs some software running on the CPU so we can use it! In case the bootloader is damaged, or does not offer such a feature, the port is useless."

and I think the bootloader is gone. (or the failsafe should work?) I really don't know tho.

--
Thanks.

-edit: I reread generic.debrick it seems that ehis should work. Waiting for my CA-42 to arrive and will try that.

(Last edited by firesam on 23 Sep 2011, 14:25)

It should work, since you normally don't overwrite the bootloader. Failsafe instead seems to be a regular openwrt where the partition holding any changes is not mounted (so it is a default config).

Ok thanks. I was worried that I did overwrite the bootloader. I was'nt sure if I understood how  sysupgrade works correctly. Anyhow, I ordered a serial ttl adapter (nokia cable hack...) and we'll see if I can still solder.

Just for curiosity can I use the serial terminal of one router as the console for the other? and wire them direct rx -> tx and tx -> rx.

(Last edited by firesam on 26 Sep 2011, 00:21)

That should work, as long as voltage levels fit (normally they do). But you better disable kernel logging and failsafe console on that host router, so it will not send any garbage in a critical moment. Should be an entry in /etc/inittab containing something about ttyS0, which need to be commented out. https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 302#p66302

The discussion might have continued from here.