OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Making a dependent service restart after change in LuCI

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Morning,

I'm trying to make a service (privoxy) restart when a user changes the Dnsmasq settings in LuCI.

I understand from previous posts and from reading the code that /etc/config/ucitrack is used to determine dependent services and what should be restarted. So I made the following changes:

config dhcp
        option init dnsmasq
        list affects privoxy

config privoxy
        option init privoxy

I also made sure that /etc/init.d/privoxy existed, was executable, and the service was enabled (I see entries for privoxy in /etc/rc.d/). I also have /etc/config/privoxy with some minimal configuration inside.

This, as I understand it, should be all that is required to have dnsmasq and privoxy restart when a user changes DHCP settings in LuCI.

However, I see that dnsmasq restarts when pressing 'Save & Apply', but privoxy does not. I've added logger statements into the privoxy init script and see that it is not called. I also added logger statements into /sbin/luci-reload and see that it is only called with one argument: "dhcp". This suggests to me that it is not finding privoxy as a dependent service for some reason.

Any suggestions? I see there have been posts on this before, and I will write up a Wiki article on this to answer it definitively once this is solved.

Thanks,

Sam

(Last edited by samcrawford on 23 Aug 2011, 12:09)

Okay, to answer my own thread:

If you have a CBI page in LuCI with a Map that affects a service (say "dhcp" in my case), then LuCI will *not* restart 'affected' services listed in /etc/config/ucitrack. It will only restart the service listed in the first argument to Map(...)

This is managed by an Ajax callback to /cgi-bin/luci/;stok=XXXXXX/servicectl/restart/<service>, which in turn invokes action_restart() in /usr/lib/lua/luci/controller/admin/servicectl.lua. Neither action_restart() nor the function that generate the HTML printing the Ajax callback make a lookup to the affected services list.

This seems odd to me, as a lot of the required functionality for looking up affected services is in _affected() in /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/uci.lua.

Quick solution: If you want to restart an affected service then you can create a dummy Map relating to the appropriate service in your CBI, and then return that along with the primary one. This will then force LuCI to generate the Ajax callback with a link pointing at /cgi-bin/luci/;stok=XXXXXX/servicectl/restart/dhcp,privoxy.

For example:

m = Map("dhcp","DHCP")
-- Lots of sections etc relating to "m" here
m2 = Map("privoxy", "")
return m, m2

Note to LuCI developers if they're reading: I'd be happy to work up a patch to LuCI to support reading the 'affects' config from /etc/config/ucitrack. Of course, if I'm missing something please do say.

Thanks,

Sam

No problem. I'd be interested in hearing from the community & LuCI developers if this is considered a bug, or if I'm simply doing something wrong. I post it to the LuCI list this evening if I don't hear anything back.

Thanks,

Sam

Yeah, I noticed.

That is because all the developers (that all booze gourmets) are meeting in secret, to conjure the recipe for a new tasty beverage. If you read news about a bunch of drunken hackers anywhere in this world, it's probably gonna be the secret location.

Consider using other communications channels:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/meta/communication
Try IRC first.

Orca wrote:

That is because all the developers (that all booze gourmets) are meeting in secret, to conjure the recipe for a new tasty beverage. If you read news about a bunch of drunken hackers anywhere in this world, it's probably gonna be the secret location.

Sounds like my kind of development!

Quick bump for any LuCI developers lurking around...

You have good detailed info there, so you might create a ticket in the LuCI bugtracker, so that the LuCI developers (mainly 'jow' for the back-end stuff) will notice it.

http://luci.subsignal.org/trac/timeline

The discussion might have continued from here.