OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Going back to original TP-Link mr3420 firmware.

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Apr 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,
I have a TP-LInk mr 3420 router and recently I've upgraded the firmware from the original TP-Link to clean version OpenWRT. The reason I did that was that I've got a huawei e353u-2 modem which didn't want work properly with the router. I have to admit that I'm new to OpenWRT so probably I am confused about how it works.
Anyway, now I can't download drivers or firmware into the router because it doesn't recognize the modem. (I do not have any other connection with internet than 3g network).
My question is: can I go back to the TP-Link firmware by installing it from my computer drive using a LAN connection? What program do you recommend I use? (I have been using Putty)
Thank you in advance for any help.

(Last edited by boolek on 13 Aug 2011, 09:35)

Hello, i have the TP-Link mr 3420 router and recently I've upgraded the firmware from the OpenWRT r24475, and the router  works fine but has no web interface. My question is: can i go back to the TP-Link firmware or activate the web service in router??
Thank you in advance for any help

hi hongocrnejo,
yes you can go back to the original TP-Link firmware, I did it using WinSCP (http://winscp.net), (I had to use this method because I did not have internet access through WAN).
What you need to do is:
connect your computer and router by LAN,
run WinSCP, in Host Name type root@192.168.1.1, as File Protocol choose SCP and Login
it will ask you for the password which is the same as you have setup during the first login to telnet
now you will have access to the router directories.
copy the original firmware file to tmp diretory. I changed the file name to code.bin
run Putty
type:
cd /tmp
mtd -r write /tmp/code.bin firmware
now it should install the new firmawre, you just need to wait untill it reboots.
hope it helps

(Last edited by boolek on 16 Aug 2011, 20:10)

hi boolek i have the same problem as hongocornejo was anxious to install openwrt on my mr3420 and i choose the firmware without a web interface because it was newer now i`m stuck i don't know what to do when tiring to log in with winscp or putty  it logs me in as root and then it requires a password witch i do not know  and didn't set up during installation please help:)

done that got the password set logged on with winscp to pot  the good firmware in tmp dir it said it didnt have space tried to erase something now cant login at all even with putty and my sis led keeps blinking what can i do?:((

it seems i created a new stupid situation that cannot be undone thanks open wrt...

please someone help me i`ve readed all the tutorials to get in a state that i can`t understand anything!

if i explained exactly my problem why can`t i get a fail safe solution?

try to connect it via telnet when sysled blinking maybe it works... i had some luck with the reset button on my old tp-mr 3220 till i brick it and no led is showing up

ok so the reset button worked form mee too got telnet connected running like this  root@(none) but any command eds up like this
root@(none):/# mount_root
switching to jffs2
/bin/busybox: can't load library 'libc.so.0'
/bin/busybox: can't load library 'libc.so.0'
root@(none):/# passwd
passwd: can't load library 'libc.so.0'
root@(none):/# uci get network.lan.ipaddr
uci: can't load library 'libc.so.0'
any ideeas?:)

anyone please i know it`s still fixable via Ethernet cable but i don`t know what method to use please come with a viable solution.

is the there the same error with mtd ? i see you have jffs2 installed maybe you can copy the missing files ? like creating this libc.so.0 file and paste the conent in ? i am not an expert, but maybe it helps

no idea i`m just a unlucky rookie who no one want`s to help...

sorry guy, same thing happened to me.. I bricked my first router,but I sent it back to amazon and two days later I got a new one... back to your problem you need to get the firmware file onto the router into the /tmp directory and write it with >> mtd write /tmp/firmware.bin firmware

Ok maybe amazon has a different  guarantee policy... are u saying if i send it back from where i bought it they will replace it without checking the software?:)

Amazon says if I send it back within 14 days they will send me a new one... so I filled up the return form and after two days I got the new router and I brought my old one back to the post office (amazon paid the post costs) .. I live in Austria..

ok cool now i`m wondering if i send mine that is totally frozen only the sis led flashes can they spot that i messed up the software?the company that i bought it from has a service center i wonder if they are smart enough to realize the fault because the device cannot be accessed at all only by serial...

mine was totally dead so no led was blinking tongue ...
but try it you can't loose, if they realize it you must buy a new one if not you get a new one for free big_smile

This may shed some light:  debrick OpenWrt

if someone need image mr3420/MR3220 with include interface
here
it can easy back to original firmware

(Last edited by mang on 28 Aug 2011, 00:12)

ok got it replaced:) now i`m flashing the good firmware stand by for updates:)