OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT610N

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

What is the current working order of this?

I have a WRT610Nv1 and I'm looking for IPv6 support, and I noticed a 610nv1 build in the downloads directory but this thread seems to suggest that it's half baked?

I didn't try to flash my unit for some time now. Maybe tomorrow, if so I'll let you know if these images works or not.

There is still no any WRT610Nv2 support?

So no one has any experience with the build for V1?

I've just bought a generic router (from dealextreme) to replace my WRT610Nv1 as I play with it trying to make the build for the v1 work. As soon as it gets here I'll test it and let you know the results.

I've also found some interesting information regarding unbricking the WRT610Nv1 from the dd-wrt's page: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksy … ricking.29

Can anyone confirm the existence of this "management firmware update" screen?

Thanks!

My WRT600NV11 works using WRT610NV1 profile, so it's possible that WRT610NV1 also works. But you probably don't want to try the pre-compiled trx/bin for reasons mentioned in the link below.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 94#p138794

Unfortunately it's not. Still same issue as I reported last time. When you load wl_mimo driver:

root@OpenWrt:/# insmod wl_mimo
Warning: loading wl_mimo will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary
  See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
insmod: init_module: wl_mimo: No such device
insmod: can't insert 'wl_mimo': Operation not permitted

I'll try to play with it later, maybe I can figure something out...

How did you build the image? I included most modules including wl_mimo in the firmware in menuconfig. The system loads the wifi module itself, so I don't have to insmod. You might want to try the default WRT610N profile with modules included in the firmware rather than as separate packages.

Obv that's what I did. It doesn't make a difference tho. I really doubt if this hw will be ever supported by OpenWRT smile.

Guys, did you notice that the WRT610N v1 is now listed as "supported" by Backfire 10.03.1 (r22840)?

Link:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt610n

WRT610N v2 is still listed as WiP.

Hi all.
I'm a little bit scared because of "that weird 30/30/30" procedure for reset from DD-WRT.
Is that "needed" also for OpenWRT?
TIA

(Last edited by uqbar on 8 Mar 2012, 17:10)

Is the wrt610n v1 now supported in backfire?  Looks like from the wiki it is but no one has commented on full support, both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz wireless channels.  From the dd-wrt wiki looks like all the issues have been resolved.  http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT610N

(Last edited by Gfunk117 on 9 Mar 2012, 03:18)

johnisaacson wrote:

uqbar
Perhaps this may help.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=33005
Check out #4.

~john

OK. This is confirming my "feelings".
I was mainly puzzled by holding the reset button during the power off, but had too few knowledge about the other two half minutes.
Clearly DD-WRT on Broadcom (at least) has a few instability issues: I tested them on my skin with this very 610Nv1.
The "30/30/30 ritual" is likely to just be a way to "force" users to do a few extra reboots!
And they are needed indeed: simply uploading the new firmware is likely to give you a semi-brick or a number of other issues.
DD-WRT is instead working just fine with Atheros (WR1043ND) just after the one and only needed reboot.

Now, the real new questions.
Is the TFTP installation actually possible with WRT610Nv1?
Has anyone successfully tried it?

I don't want to open the box to install the serial console and am going to stick with DD-WRT if TFTP doesn't work.
Or is it possible to install OpenWRT as a firmware upgrade from DD-WRT?
Any info will be highly appreciated.

"Now, the real new questions.
Is the TFTP installation actually possible with WRT610Nv1?
Has anyone successfully tried it?

I don't want to open the box to install the serial console and am going to stick with DD-WRT if TFTP doesn't work.
Or is it possible to install OpenWRT as a firmware upgrade from DD-WRT?
Any info will be highly appreciated."

Great questions!  I anxiously await an answer from some who has tftp'd a wrt610n v1.

Another question.  Should one compile the trx/bin from source or use this:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … uashfs.bin

TFTP by itself does not work on this router.  You need to have a serial console in order to recover from a bad flash.  This may  just be my experience, but the binary distributed with 10.03.1 "bricked" my router.  LAN nor WLAN worked and I had to TFTP the original factory firmware on it (with the help of the serial console)

CheBuzz wrote:

TFTP by itself does not work on this router.  You need to have a serial console in order to recover from a bad flash.  This may  just be my experience, but the binary distributed with 10.03.1 "bricked" my router.  LAN nor WLAN worked and I had to TFTP the original factory firmware on it (with the help of the serial console)

How can then DD-WRT work out of the bix on this machine?
I already tried it and it works, indeed.

CheBuzz wrote:

I second this.  I had to console into my WRT610Nv1 via serial and then "pull" an image onto it via tftp.  The recovery method where you "push" the image via TFTP did not work.  I had the same experience though where neither the LAN or WLAN worked, however OpenWRT did boot but an ifconfig -a yielded no interfaces other than a loopback.

I posted some more information about my discoveries in another thread.  IMO, it looks like the hardware is not being detected properly or a driver is missing in the build.  DD-WRT runs OK on this unit, however it would be really nice to get OpenWRT onto it.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35375

It just so happens I broke the TX serial landing on the 610n's board so it would be a real PITA to go back and get a console dump.  CheBuzz, did you also see something like this?

diag: Detected 'Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL'                                                                             
roboswitch: Probing device eth0: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth1: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth2: No such device                                                                   
roboswitch: Probing device eth3: No such device

(Last edited by bdwyer on 10 May 2012, 18:59)

Yes, that is what I was seeing as well.

*edit - but just saw that hauke updated this ticket 3 weeks ago and claims it should be working now: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/3857

(Last edited by CheBuzz on 2 Jun 2012, 11:48)

CheBuzz wrote:

Yes, that is what I was seeing as well.

*edit - but just saw that hauke updated this ticket 3 weeks ago and claims it should be working now: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/3857

Does this mean that someone dared to test it?

Well... I got the WRT610N (V1) working... But i had to compile the kernel myself...

root@OpenWrt:/etc# cat /etc/openwrt_release
DISTRIB_ID="OpenWrt"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="Bleeding Edge"
DISTRIB_REVISION="r34859"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="barrier_breaker"
DISTRIB_TARGET="brcm47xx/generic"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r34859"

root@OpenWrt:/# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 3.6.11 #1 Sun Dec 23 03:55:43 EST 2012 mips GNU/Linux

root@OpenWrt:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Broadcom BCM47XX
processor               : 0
cpu model               : Broadcom BMIPS3300 V1.10
BogoMIPS                : 297.98
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
ASEs implemented        : mips16
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

root@OpenWrt:/# ifconfig
br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:6B:4F:EB:3A 
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:33144 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:6025703 (5.7 MiB)  TX bytes:402 (402.0 B)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:6B:4F:EB:3A 
          TX packets:33296 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:6754871 (6.4 MiB)  TX bytes:13351705 (12.7 MiB)
          Interrupt:4

eth0.0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:6B:4F:EB:3A 
          TX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:6025703 (5.7 MiB)  TX bytes:402 (402.0 B)

eth0.1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:22:6B:4F:EB:3A 
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:33295 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:13084935 (12.4 MiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:795408 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:795408 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:54087744 (51.5 MiB)  TX bytes:54087744 (51.5 MiB)

Do you have wireless too?

I tried about 1 month ago too to get a proper image and was nearly throwing the thing to trash can as useless..

(Last edited by jake1981 on 24 Dec 2012, 20:34)

b43 supports the wireless to some limited extent, but only up to 54 MBit/s and 2.4 GHz only (the 5 GHz radio acts as another 2.4 GHz one with bad signal strength).

jake1981 wrote:

Do you have wireless too?

I tried about 1 month ago too to get a proper image and was nearly throwing the thing to trash can as useless..

I have wireless, but like slh said, only on 2.4ghz. Not sure about the speed and range, and if i can go N or not. Didn't test it, still compiling modules to go with it...