OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: which type of routers can run AODV, ad hoc , mesh network /protocols ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 9 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi , I'm a junior student from China !

I want to buy several routers that can run openwrt and can support AODV(Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing?AODV),ad hoc,mesh network or

protocols. I can find the devices that support openwrt from the site  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start .

But I don't know how to tell whether the devices can support AODV, ad hoc ,mesh network/protocols.  Could you tell me ?

If the devices can support these network/protocols modes, how could I do to setup them ?

Thank you !

(Last edited by openwrt_learner on 21 Apr 2011, 17:16)

The key is to have at least 8MB of flash or USB support.

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Linksys WRT160NL
Linksys WRT54GS

I think you can start it from "OLSR Mesh - OpenWrt Wiki" and "B.A.T.M.A.N - OpenWrt Wiki".

fyi wrote:

The key is to have at least 8MB of flash or USB support.

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Linksys WRT160NL
Linksys WRT54GS

I think you can start it from "OLSR Mesh - OpenWrt Wiki" and "B.A.T.M.A.N - OpenWrt Wiki".

Thank you for your quick reply ! If a router has a 8MB of flash and support openwrt , can it run aodv,mesh? Does this mean aodv,mesh etc network modes don't rely on the hardware platform ,but just rely on  openwrt ? Thank you !

any suggestion will be really appreciated !

openwrt_learner wrote:

Does this mean aodv,mesh etc network modes don't rely on the hardware platform ,but just rely on  openwrt ?!

Actually they rely on an open platform with ad-hoc/ahdemo/802.11s capable wireless drivers - it could be a Debian or even FreeBSD as well.
OpenWrt is a popular choice for meshing as it is an open Linux distribution that happens to run on many commodity routers which are cheaper and often easier to deploy than "bigger" hardware you'd need for a full Linux distribution like Debian or an OS like *BSD.

Hi, I have TP-Link WA701ND hardware version 2. Hardware version 2 is not supported for this device but I achieved to boot it by firmware of WR741ND. And I achieved to run 802.11s and BATMAN-adv routing protocols on this device. When I looked at the ToH, it is stated that this device has 4 MB Flash memory on it for hardware version 1. So I checked the memory on this version, it is also 4 MB. Is the information that device should have 8 MB on it, an old information or do we need it for other protocols?

The discussion might have continued from here.