Topic: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

23 November 2010

The OpenWrt Release Team would like to announce a fourth release candidate (RC4) for Backfire Interim Release 1 (10.03.1).  Testing of this release candidate will allow further refinement of 10.03.1

Binaries can be downloaded at http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1-rc4/

Highlights since Backfire 10.03.1 RC3:

* resolved race conditions/crashes for ar7
* add nanostation-m detection signature
* use ar7240 switch driver on dir-600-a1
* 2.6.32 targets updated from 2.6.32.16 to 2.6.32.25
* rtl8366 switch driver fixes
* add support for 4k VLANs on rtl8366 switch
* fix r6040 NIC multicast operation on rdc
* enable PCI-express support on x86
* add 6to4 package for automatic ip6 to ipv4 setup with optional configuration in /etc/config/network
* increased number of config files preserved by sysupgrade and overall sysupgrade support
* changed default wifi channel to 11 from 5
* modify extroot support to allow functioning when installed as a package, not built into the image
* add exception for 127.0.0.1 in dnsmasq for dns rebind protection
* add SNAT firewall support
* add support for NAT reflection (commonly called NAT loopback)
* add helper to deal with firewall portranges
* add support for multiple protocols in firewall rules and redirects
* fix hostapd crash when used with madwifi
* updated hostapd version from 20100418 to 20100705
* numerous ath9k fixes
* updated mac80211 (compat-wireless) version from 2010-07-29 to 2010-10-19
* update openssl version from 0.9.8m to 0.9.8p
* numerous uhttpd fixes


Detailed report at https://dev.openwrt.org/milestone/Backfire%2010.03.1

Detailed Core ChangeLog at https://dev.openwrt.org/log/branches/backfire?revs=22798-24045
Detailed Packages ChangeLog at https://dev.openwrt.org/log/packages?revs=22798-24045

Yours truly,
--
The OpenWrt release management team
Andy Boyett & Nicolas Thill

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

The WR841ND v7 is well enough supported to include in the 10.03.01 release, IMHO.

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Bartman007 wrote:

23 November 2010
The OpenWrt Release Team would like to announce a fourth release candidate (RC4) for Backfire Interim Release 1 (10.03.1).

W00t!

Congrats and thanks to all involved for making this such a reliable and flexible system.

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Good work. But I am confused with the release policy of OpenWrt. Why you guys release -rc versions all the times if these versions contain so many fixes and new features? Isn't it be better to release it as 10.03.02 or whatever?

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Works pretty great compared with 10.03 by my opinion. Everything is as it should.

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

No go on DG834Gv2
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7836

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Bartman007 wrote:

23 November 2010
The OpenWrt Release Team would like to announce a fourth release candidate (RC4) for Backfire Interim Release 1 (10.03.1).  Testing of this release candidate will allow further refinement of 10.03.1

Thanks for the rc!
As noted before, however, an issue I reported against rc3 and earlier versions is still present:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=116185#p116185

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Some people might not agree, but I think this should be added to the Known Issues section of all future releases until a workaround can be found:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6819

9 (edited by durval 2010-12-05 08:42:18)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Hello,

Just upgraded my D-Link DIR-825 (HW B1) to image openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-jffs2-sysupgrade.bin

Upgrade went well using the LuCi web interface via System / Flash Firmware; all system configuration preserved as requested via the "Keep configuration files" option;

Had to reinstall additional package mii-tool, as well as redoing my customizations on /etc/rc.local.

WiFi clients reconnected after the upgrade with no issues.

In brief, everything seems just fine on my setup; any troubles, will let you know.

Kudos for the great work!

Cheers,
--
  Durval Menezes

In the 30+ years I've been messing with them, I have never met a computer that didn't like me.

10 (edited by x_redentor 2010-12-09 22:15:08)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

good excuse but I am Spanish use google translator

RouterStation ubuquiti I have a pro, riding 3 MiniPCI ubuquiti super range SR71-12, with the only firmware that work well with openwrt Blackfire is 10.03, but I encountered a problem when using NoDogSplash, blocking the traffic behind me authentificar.

thanks for your work

I hope more updates more continuous, hire posting my problems for correction by

11 (edited by najs 2010-12-27 10:50:59)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

I need the hso driver for my 3G modem. In the kamikaze release it was available as a kernel module in the kmod-usb-net-hso package.
But this package is not available in the backfire release.

Is the hso driver build into the kernel in this release?

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

ar7/cpmac has been broken for over 2 months, is there any chance it will be fixed before we see 10.03.1_RC5?
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/99

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Any schedule for the next release candidate - rc5 ?
Or finally the actual 10.03.1 ?

Backfire has been switched to use Luci 0.10, so a new rc is most likely needed.

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

hnyman wrote:

Any schedule for the next release candidate - rc5 ?
Or finally the actual 10.03.1 ?

It's done, when it's done...

15 (edited by dromero 2011-02-24 15:16:35)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

there´s any way to get RC4 code from svn? is exactly r24045 or is a mix?

Regards,


EDIT: added the mix thing...

1       x D-Link     DIR-825     OpenWRT r27015
1       x NETGEAR DR3700     OpenWRT r27015
2       x Linksys    E2100L      OpenWRT r27114
100+ x Linksys    WRT160NL OpenWRT r26267

16 (edited by Floh1111 2011-02-23 21:33:30)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

You can checkout the core source with:
svn checkout --revision=24045 svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire/ ./build_dir

For the packages copy feeds.conf.default in ./build_dir to feeds.conf and add "@24045" at the end of the line that checks out the package feed:
src-svn packages svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/packages@24045

//EDIT: I used the false revision numbers. The exact revision should be 24045

Regards
Floh1111

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

written_direcon wrote:
hnyman wrote:

Any schedule for the next release candidate - rc5 ?
Or finally the actual 10.03.1 ?

It's done, when it's done...

I know, but I see no evidende of it "being done". Almost all check-ins go to trunk, and there is very small trickle towards Backfire every now and then. Changes to common package threaten to break Backfire... I see no active work effort to crush the remaining bugs. (I have been building Backfire daily, so I have been following the SVN changes pretty closely.)

Even Mozilla/Firefox is now moving to a 3-month release cycle, where they will be releasing Firefox 4 now in Q1, then FF5 in Q2, FF6 in Q3 etc. They are scrapping the plan-two-years-ahead-fo-a-major-release development style and moving towards Google-style rapid releases and then follow-up bugfixes.

We have now been in the rc-phase of 10.03.1 for 6 months, and it is over 3 months since the last rc version, rc4 in November 2010. Trunk is going so far ahead of Backfire, that releasing 10.03.1 will be meaningless sooner or later.

Maybe it would be time also for OpenWrt developers to re-think the release strategy and release 10.03.1 as it is now in Backfire branch, and then move on to stabilize the release of the next branch, current trunk, this year...

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

I totally agree

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Hello,

will/ would you update the php package and add simplexml feature? It needed for FusionPBX (freeswitch gui). Any plans?


Best regards

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

hnyman wrote:
written_direcon wrote:
hnyman wrote:

Any schedule for the next release candidate - rc5 ?
Or finally the actual 10.03.1 ?

It's done, when it's done...

I know, but I see no evidende of it "being done". Almost all check-ins go to trunk, and there is very small trickle towards Backfire every now and then. Changes to common package threaten to break Backfire... I see no active work effort to crush the remaining bugs. (I have been building Backfire daily, so I have been following the SVN changes pretty closely.)

Even Mozilla/Firefox is now moving to a 3-month release cycle, where they will be releasing Firefox 4 now in Q1, then FF5 in Q2, FF6 in Q3 etc. They are scrapping the plan-two-years-ahead-fo-a-major-release development style and moving towards Google-style rapid releases and then follow-up bugfixes.

We have now been in the rc-phase of 10.03.1 for 6 months, and it is over 3 months since the last rc version, rc4 in November 2010. Trunk is going so far ahead of Backfire, that releasing 10.03.1 will be meaningless sooner or later.

Maybe it would be time also for OpenWrt developers to re-think the release strategy and release 10.03.1 as it is now in Backfire branch, and then move on to stabilize the release of the next branch, current trunk, this year...

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to OpenWRT.  You folks have made this one of the most stable and usable pieces of software on the planet (right up there with Linux, etc).  Like hnyman, I too would like to request at least two or three stable/final releases of software per year. It would go a long way towards making the software a lot more appealing to the end user that is waiting for a non-beta version.  Please consider the request as many folks have asked for a similar release schedule.  Thanks again everyone for your effort in making this a great piece of software!

21 (edited by yoduh 2011-03-16 21:45:02)

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Bartman007 wrote:

23 November 2010

The OpenWrt Release Team would like to announce a fourth release candidate (RC4) for Backfire Interim Release 1 (10.03.1).  Testing of this release candidate will allow further refinement of 10.03.1

* 2.6.32 targets updated from 2.6.32.16 to 2.6.32.25

heres the upstream tree
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.32.y.git;a=summary

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

There are recent fixes to ath9k which I would like to test. I simply do not have time to learn how to build my own image and unfortunately trunk snapshot builds are not built the same way as release builds, so I can't use them as well. I also would like to see an -rc5 build soon.

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

I recently downloaded r26290 because I am too lazy to compile the stuff myself and I am very happy with it.

If nobody has the time to release rc5, that's sad, but who really cares? For my taste there is development going on in trunk and also bugfixes.

I already complained about some bugs, that imo could/should have been avoided, but I still use OpenWrt and I still obtain trunk release on a fairly regular bases.

When, one day, rc5 or stable are released, I shall continue to use trunk :-P

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Orca wrote:

If nobody has the time to release rc5, that's sad, but who really cares?

Quit yer bitchin'! It's almost here:
https://dev.openwrt.org/log/branches/backfire/

Re: Backfire 10.03.1-rc4

Slowmo wrote:

There are recent fixes to ath9k which I would like to test. I simply do not have time to learn how to build my own image and unfortunately trunk snapshot builds are not built the same way as release builds, so I can't use them as well. I also would like to see an -rc5 build soon.

How are they built differently?  I followed the same instructions for both.  It's really quite easy to roll your own image.