OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Is this router based on the infineon danube?

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Maybe the best place to take a look is:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/t … ?rev=25042

from blogic commit (it is not last commit, but the interesting one)

Changeset 24526
Timestamp:    12/12/10 23:57:16 (5 weeks ago)
Author:    blogic
Message:     [lantiq] adds new lantiq kernel. once the codebase is fully tested and know to be working on all the devices previously supported by ifxmips, we will drop ifxmips support.
see https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/24526

But no news on USB or owsip ... :-(

(Last edited by vpablos on 18 Jan 2011, 16:49)

Anyone knows who is mirko?
He committed a changeset to move irq.c to its own file instead of in a patch. I hope he does the same for all the other files so I can understand the code and port my 7518 changes from ifxmips to lantiq.

Hello, is there a working OpenWrt for Wippies Homebox Black and how would I install it? Also, has the "ISP" completely locked this since I can't boot to any different state holding Reset it just does a factory reset?

Great work here, if it's going to the way where this box is supported smile

Hi!

I just registered to participate in this thread, which I'm following since november or december 2010, when I searchead for OpenWRT support on my adsl router, the infamous smc7908a-isp I received about a couple of years ago from my then adsl provider, ya.com and now I have collecting dust at home. I was happy to see finally some progress was being done, so first of all I want to thank all the people involved on this, namely ngp, pippolippi, blogic, vpablos and my apologies if I've forgotten anyone!

My progress on this... so far I've flashed my device with ngp's experimental firmware which I got from http://personales.ya.com/_ngp_/firmware … rt_bin.bz2. It works well, I can ssh to it and access the filesystem (I was exepcting to get the HTTP interface for dummies but noticed it's not there tongue), but that's all. As far as I know it lacks wifi support so it's of not much use for me. I'm not in any way a Linux hacker, so now I'm kinda lost and I don't know how to continue. Went to http://backfire.openwrt.org/10.03.1-rc4/ifxmips/ and downloaded every file from there, but
a) I don't know really how to flash my router with them, nor what file(s) should I use from there,
b) as the timestamps of those files are from November 2010, I don't think the progress discussed on this thread is applied there, am I wrong?

If someone could enlight me and put some instructions from really newbies on how to get all the features you have been able to get working, or even more (I already know it is much to ask tongue) put an updated firmware image to upload with the router web interface, it would make my day.

By the way, I have a kind of miscellaneous question maybe someone could also answer. Could this router potentially recognize (and take advantatge of) any kind of usb device attached to it which already have support for it in the linux kernel, not only storage devices? I mean, an usb 3G modem, a DVB-T stick, a printer or a soundcard?

Thanks all in advance and I will be glad to help on this as far as my knowledge allow me wink

(Last edited by Pere on 28 Jan 2011, 13:23)

Pere wrote:

My progress on this... so far I've flashed my device with ngp's experimental firmware which I got from http://personales.ya.com/_ngp_/firmware … rt_bin.bz2. It works well, I can ssh to it and access the filesystem (I was exepcting to get the HTTP interface for dummies but noticed it's not there tongue), but that's all. As far as I know it lacks wifi support so it's of not much use for me. I'm not in any way a Linux hacker, so now I'm kinda lost and I don't know how to continue. Went to http://backfire.openwrt.org/10.03.1-rc4/ifxmips/ and downloaded every file from there, but
a) I don't know really how to flash my router with them, nor what file(s) should I use from there,
b) as the timestamps of those files are from November 2010, I don't think the progress discussed on this thread is applied there, am I wrong?

Yes, that's quite old, you'll have to get a copy from svn, and now development has switched from the ifxmips target to the lantiq one

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/t … nux/lantiq

Pere wrote:

If someone could enlight me and put some instructions from really newbies on how to get all the features you have been able to get working, or even more (I already know it is much to ask tongue) put an updated firmware image to upload with the router web interface, it would make my day.

Follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

I cannot be more specific, since I didn't try the lantiq branch myself and it's been a while since I configured my build, sorry.

Pere wrote:

By the way, I have a kind of miscellaneous question maybe someone could also answer. Could this router potentially recognize (and take advantatge of) any kind of usb device attached to it which already have support for it in the linux kernel, not only storage devices? I mean, an usb 3G modem, a DVB-T stick, a printer or a soundcard?

in theory it should be possible, yes.

Thanks pippolippi! So, in theory, is it "as easy" as downloading the sources from the SVN address you provide and compiling them, then installing the image (which I don't know in what format will be)? I suppose I can do the last from my current "testing" OpenWRT version in the router itself, or I could try the tftp method.

I don't understand the change in the target. Aren't them different architectures? Why it was ifxmips then and lantiq now?? I wouldn't have figured that ever by myself. And in theory, all the enhancements archieved in this thread sould be applied in the SVN copy, that is, a working, full OpenWRT for the smc7908a?

Maybe I'll give it a try tonight, but I'm not very confident I will be able to get anything. Moreover, I'm on a Windows 7 computer, what makes this even more difficult. Maybe with MinGW I can compile it? hmm

I'll post here my results whatever I get...

I don't really think mingw is suitable, you'll need linux.
Or just wait/ping ngp for a newer image.

It should work but I hadn't time to test it yet (besides, I don't know the GPIO to activate usb in my router).
@ngp, do you know if I can activate the GPIO after booting (e.g., by creating a set of fake leds and turn them on one by one), or it has to be activated before loading the driver?

Hi again!

I just sent a PM to ngp asking his help for a new image for the SMC-7908-ISP. Hope not to bother him and maybe we get a chance he will hep us integrating the new archievements for this platform!

No luck yet sad

An interesting patch has been sent by Luca Olivetti to openwrt-devel. It says:

The following patch improves the support for the arv7518pw:

- it defines the gpio to activate the usb (it was in a previous patch, still
  unapplied)
- adds support for the wifi chip (ath9k)
- defines a specific profile for the arv7518
- doesn't trash the command line parameters set in uboot

I could only test wifi in station mode and in the g band, and, while it
works, the performance is atrocious, however nobody helped so I cannot do
better.
Oh, and it needs the patch to mac80211 that I posted previously.

More at  https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope … 09733.html

ngp wrote:

I am thinking of ditching tapi-sip and try to make a zaptel or freedtm driver to use vmmc with asterisk/freeswitch.

If you're still here (it doesn't seem so), what's your progress with that?

Did anybody try to compile the Lantiq target for any kind of arv model? I have arv4518 board (SMC 7908ISP-A from Yacom) and would like to give it a try.

Are the different boards set up already in the lantiq target?

Greetings!

I'm working on the arv7518pw, and I have it mostly working (bad wifi performance, everything else is working). The 4518 is defined and should work, but I cannot test it (is my primary router and cannot risk to brick it).

pippolippi wrote:

I'm working on the arv7518pw, and I have it mostly working (bad wifi performance, everything else is working). The 4518 is defined and should work, but I cannot test it (is my primary router and cannot risk to brick it).

It is my primary router too, so I don't want to brick it either.

Which brand delivers the arv7518pw board?

sblanco wrote:

The same shitty one that delivered the 7908a  wink
Luckily I use another provider now, but I bought an arv7518pw on ebay to tinker with openwrt.

pippolippi wrote:
sblanco wrote:

The same shitty one that delivered the 7908a  wink
Luckily I use another provider now, but I bought an arv7518pw on ebay to tinker with openwrt.

So DSL, FXS ports, USB ans switch are working properly? Did you compile it yourself or did you flash it with nightly builds? I guess arv7518pw has WiFi n protocol instead of b-g, doesn't it?

I can't manage to find a arv7518pw router on eBay, what term did you use for the search? IAD 3, arv 7518?

Bye!

sblanco wrote:

So DSL, FXS ports, USB ans switch are working properly?

Yes, but the FXS ports don't do much (there's no full featured sip client yet).

sblanco wrote:

Did you compile it yourself or did you flash it with nightly builds?

Myself, my patches aren't yet in openwrt. Also, I had to replace the brn bootloader with u-boot (see few pages back).

sblanco wrote:

I guess arv7518pw has WiFi n protocol instead of b-g, doesn't it?

Yes, but it's only in the 2.4GHz band (not 5GHz) and performance is atrocious with ath9k (I tested only as station and I get 10% of the speed I get with my laptop).

sblanco wrote:

I can't manage to find a arv7518pw router on eBay, what term did you use for the search? IAD 3, arv 7518?

There aren't many, I think they were sent in error to a handful of customers, though I think that's the model they're sending now, anyway my search string is (I was looking for either a 7908a or a 7518pw):

(7908a, arv4518pw, smc7908, arv4518, arv7518, arv7518pw, astoria networks)

I have compiled succesfully lantiq-xway target for arv4518, but I don't know at the moment how to flash it without a serial cable and without the risk of bricking it. I guess the way is to flash it keeping the brn loader, as explained before, so brn loader calls a second loader (uboot) and it starts OpenWrt. Anyway, instructions are not clear enough. I don't know the way to get RAM image needed (is it uImage file?) and the special config for uboot to get loaded from brn loader.

The other way would be to flash the boot loader with uboot, but as far as I could understand, it doesn't have an "emergency" way of flashing the router without a serial cable, does it?

Any help around? I don't understand why there is so few documentation for flashing, as it could help much to give feedback to developers.

Greetings!

I'm in no way an expert, and I already replaced brn boot with u-boot, but the bootloader is in package/uboot-lantiq.
I think you should select the package "uboot-lantiq-arv4518PW_brnboot" so that it will produce a second stage bootloader, combine this bootloader with the kernel and the rootfs using the tool posted by ngp a while ago, and it should produce a file flashable with the standard web interface.
See here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 19#p119919
and here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 86#p119986

If it doesn't work you can always go back to the original firmware using the emergency firmware upload page.

I suggest you get a serial cable and try without flashing anything: generate an "uboot-lantiq-arv4518PW_ramboot" uboot, load with zmodem using brn, then load openwrt via tftpboot (if you generated the image with the ramdisk option). It's not easy but it surely won't brick your device.

Yes, I have a serial cable, I flashed already brcm63xx platform router several times, but since I did brick it after playing around by mistake and is unrecoverable without JTAG, I don't want to take that risk.

I will try anyway if I find some time!

Greetings!

I have flashed arv4518 with an image made with the C code that paste together the files needed:
1st and 2nd files: uboot extracted with SP700ex from testing image sent by ngp (unscrambled but not lzma uncompressed)
3rd file: openwrt-lantiq-xway-ARV4518PW-uImage (the only image compiled when OpenWRT is compiled with ramimage option enabled in make menuconfig settings). I didn't choose to lzma the file, should I?
4th and 5th files: 0 bytes files created with touch command

It seems that uboot manages to start, but OpenWRT fails because I get a "Failsafe UI", different than default one from brn bootloader.

I did this way because flashing from failsafe interface from brn loader the test image uploaded by ngp doesn't work for me. I tried to reach the router at several IP's and I didn't get any answer.

Does anyone have a hint to go further with OpenWRT?

Bye!
Santi

Maybe the uboot you used isn't suitable for your board and cannot find the kernel. Uboot has a failsafe ui too, so maybe that's what you're seeing.
The only way to know for sure what happens during boot is with a serial console.