626 (edited by sblanco 2011-03-09 13:05:12)

Re: New Broadcom BCM63xx codebase with GPL'd Ethernet and USB support

Orca wrote:
sblanco wrote:
Orca wrote:

@sblanco: why isn't there some form of documentation for xDSL (current is VDSL) like there is for the wireless drivers:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/wireless.essentials#notes
http://wireless.kernel.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers

The same could be useful for builtin DOCSIS or LTE (4G) support.

Don't ask me why! Ask the ones who are involved!

Bye!

Hehe, lol, funny. And here I was, thinking that ANYBODY employing OpenWrt was involved... Isn't that the idea? To learn and help each other out in the process? Share some ideas or insights? Maybe I am to naive...

Simply using the software and expecting (prompt and competent) support, is not the kind of "involvement" that helps this project exceed. The idea here was to PREVENT people, who would like to employ OpenWrt, from buying unsupported hardware. I'm trying to achieve this with the http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide (no more advertising, please) but it is somehow incomplete. A little bla,bla a link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers#Linux and it's a beginning.

I haven't found such an overview for drivers other than wireless and sound. I hope you agree, that it would be nice to have something like that for DSL, DOCSIS and maybe even LTE. I think on this years CeBit AVM introduced Routers with built-in 4G stuff. So there is a development in integrating more and more functionality into the SoC or first onto the PCB. The fewer the DSL-ICs with FOSS driver, the more important to present them. Put them in plain sight. Achieve functionality and avoid unsupportable closed source blobs.

I don't plan to list all ICs/Chips with DSL-functionality and then what kernel their blobs need, but go the other way around. List the driver, and name the SoCs that are supported. I should be a short list.

Sorry, somehow I'm involved like everyone that use this software and give some kind of feedback, what I meant was I don't contribute that much to the project to say I'm really involved. Even I sent once or twice simple patches for supporting some hardware!

You are right, it would be great to have that kind of information on the wiki, it would push manufacturers to collaborate with open source community, otherwise their hardware is not in the list and people won't buy it.

Bye!

sblanco wrote:

You are right, it would be great to have that kind of information on the wiki, it would push manufacturers to collaborate with open source community, otherwise their hardware is not in the list and people won't buy it.

You are quite right but this is quite a niche in a very small market, so they do not really care, I believe ( which is wrong ).

Hi,
can anyone build image for 96358VW2, and upload it to ftp, please.

How is this different from the DG834GT ?

I need it for DSL-2650U/BRU/D2 on 96358VW2 (BCM6358)
But DG834GT is build on BCM6348 !

Well then maybe look up the official Broadcom ( if this exists ) documentation outlining the differences and maybe work something out with the developers ???

632 (edited by vitaliy_86 2011-03-26 11:18:48)

kolobok Should be supplemented this page (rev D1 & D2) http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dsl-2650u
DSL-2650U/BRU/D
DSL-2650U/BRU/D2
MTS DSL-2650U    
DSL-2650BU

It will create the firmware and successfully installed.

TP-1043ND
ASUS RT-N15
TP-703N
Dlink DIR-615 E4

Good job vitality_86 !

Want that one of the developers added support trank, schzut wrt works great on dsl-2650u!

TP-1043ND
ASUS RT-N15
TP-703N
Dlink DIR-615 E4

vitaliy_86 wrote:

Want that one of the developers added support trank, schzut wrt works great on dsl-2650u!

I am fairly calm...  So far we distinguish 4 Categories:
  * Supported Hardware
  * Work In Progress
  * Possible but not being worked on
  * Unsupportable

Unless the hardware is FULLY supported, these broadcom devices will remain either "WiP" or "Possible but not being worked on". Is somebody working on FOSS dsl-drivers? With which Kernel Version does the binary driver work? Is is the Kernel (heavily) modified in addition to that? Vitaly, you push this matter so hard, care to inform us?

Alternatively we could add a 5th category: "Partially Supported" So there are NO misunderstandings.

But is this worth the effort? Who the fuck buys a DSL-Router and then doesn't want to use the DSL-functionality? Please, you bought the stuff, now best use with the supplied firmware, WITH DSL-functionality.

As far as I am informed, no developer wastes time on this closed source broadcom shit. People want to learn and progress (new kernels... new ideas...) and not do broadcoms work (without specs!). If somebody does work on this, please keep us informed!

Maybe here:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/soc/soc.broadcom.bcm63xx or wherever you want.

Orca wrote:

Is somebody working on FOSS dsl-drivers?

http://bcm63xx.sipsolutions.net/

Link pulled from the following thread:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24271

I fully support your position Orca ! Damn the idiots over at Broadcom and their cursed closed source !

@bulanula:
Well, to be perfectly honest, I do not mind Broadcom and their software policy! They can do whatever they wanna do with their stuff. Customer's choice. The patents are a different matter, corporates get patents on a regular basis for old solutions! But, ah, this a complete different matter.

I mind the people who come here, do not inform themselves, and want broadcom support. At the moment, I don't have ANY broadcom device anyway, so I don't really care!

I already proposed to document EXACTLY this matter better, so hopefully people would stop bugging with this shit. Some may even abstain from buying ANY hardware without good and stable driver support. Customer's choice. What is the point in paying for such hardware??? This is not a broadcom only matter! If I am informed correctly the madwifi-project had to (painsstakingly) reverse-engineer their stuff, before Atheros started to provide the FOSS support.

I already tried to explain here:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/drivers#buying.hardware  (no, this is not really for developers) that it is not as easy and straight forward as often claimed to exhaustively inform oneself about the driver status. Also there is a difference between "fully supported" and "works quite stable".

Example: Many sound cards do work with linux, but compare the functionality of the Linux drivers with that of the windows drivers. It's a PITA! And you do not want such mini-functionality in wireless, ethernet or DSL-drivers. At least, I don't.

KillaB wrote:
Orca wrote:

Is somebody working on FOSS dsl-drivers?

http://bcm63xx.sipsolutions.net/

Kernel 2.6.8.1., instead of Kernel 2.4. Impressive. Well, customer's choice!

KillaB wrote:

Link pulled from the following thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24271

I see, odicha registered 2008 and posted 4times until 2010 ... he no longer around?

However, as I already mentioned, I do not own a broadcom device, so ... If somebody of the people who do have such devices want to do it, I will certainly not stand in their way. Obviously it's not very efficient to find information in the Forum, so you maybe should use the wiki to coordinate your efforts better. You know, do whatever you are able to do.

@Vitaly  Instead of wasting time writing this: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dsl-2520u  (2MiB Flash) Maybe you should have informed yourself about the DSL-Drivers. Seems, there is at least some info in the forum, maybe there is even more. Maybe gather your findings in the wiki.

What was the hardware, for which there are fully supported FOSS DSL-drivers once again? Ralink?

639 (edited by vitaliy_86 2011-03-22 18:43:15)

I can not find anything except this:

http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-B … 358_intr.h

TP-1043ND
ASUS RT-N15
TP-703N
Dlink DIR-615 E4

Orca wrote:

@bulanula:
Well, to be perfectly honest, I do not mind Broadcom and their software policy! They can do whatever they wanna do with their stuff. Customer's choice. The patents are a different matter, corporates get patents on a regular basis for old solutions! But, ah, this a complete different matter.

I mind the people who come here, do not inform themselves, and want broadcom support. At the moment, I don't have ANY broadcom device anyway, so I don't really care!

I already proposed to document EXACTLY this matter better, so hopefully people would stop bugging with this shit. Some may even abstain from buying ANY hardware without good and stable driver support. Customer's choice. What is the point in paying for such hardware??? This is not a broadcom only matter! If I am informed correctly the madwifi-project had to (painsstakingly) reverse-engineer their stuff, before Atheros started to provide the FOSS support.

I already tried to explain here:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/devel/drivers#buying.hardware  (no, this is not really for developers) that it is not as easy and straight forward as often claimed to exhaustively inform oneself about the driver status. Also there is a difference between "fully supported" and "works quite stable".

Broadcom are losing out to Atheros which does cooperate with the open source community but now that Atheros is owned by Qualcomm we might lack Atheros support too ! What manufacturer do you buy from ?
I understand your viewpoint "don't buy the unsupported hardware in the first place" but I bought this hardware even before I knew about OpenWRT and it is doing just fine anyway on stock firmware but hey if OpenWRT support is possible I say let's try do it !

bulanula wrote:
Orca wrote:

@bulanula:

Broadcom are losing out to Atheros which does cooperate with the open source community but now that Atheros is owned by Qualcomm we might lack Atheros support too ! What manufacturer do you buy from ?
I understand your viewpoint "don't buy the unsupported hardware in the first place" but I bought this hardware even before I knew about OpenWRT and it is doing just fine anyway on stock firmware but hey if OpenWRT support is possible I say let's try do it !

Broadcom is not only loosing out to the endusers but also to companies, since it is way simpler to construct a firmware with mainstreamed drivers then with their closed source stuff. But that is their decision and their problem, not mine. Maybe they have something to hide, who knows. I read, the implementation of DSL functionality into IC was not that trivial, but I understand to little to really judge this statement.

I am not opposed to gaining broacom or whatever support, I simply doubt there is enough manpower OR competence OR interest in gaining this support without specs! It seems like the people here do lack the intelligence to cooperate with each other:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/davolink/dv-201amr#bootloader.mods

So user linuxinsdide did some good thing, but I don't know whether he left the patch, the source code of his modifications. Definitely there is no documentation, who need docu, right? So, if somebody else now want's to do this for an other device, he will have to start from scratch again. Cool, he?

So we have people with knolwdge who are to arrogant to share it, and we have people who want things get done, but lack the knowledge to do them themselves. The Forum and the Wiki and bla, should make this as easy as possible, but I does not.

And also, you don't put pressure on a company by buying theirs shit. You put pressure on it, by NOT BUYING their stuff. But instead of badmouthing broadcom, we should simply point out, WHICH HARDWARE DOES HAVE FOSS drivers, and which does not. So far, nobody has bothered to do that.

I planed to do that, but I doubt I still am going to.

[x] I vote for obtaining support for broadcom closed source shit
[x] I am not going to involve myself in obtaining this (others should do it...)
[x] without drivers I'm not going to buy any broadcom based hardware
[x] if I should get broadcom hardware "for free", I may help in gathering information, so the people with the necessary skills to write kernel stuff, don't have to.
[x] if I should get other hardware "for free", I would bother with that of course, because I would probably want OpenWrt on it

A lot of telcos give broadcom based hardware "for free", why isn't there more going on here? Why doesn't it state more clearly in the wiki, that we don't have DSL_support? I rest my case.

I like the fact that you have strong opinions about this, Orca.

Anyway, if we can get the ADSL working then great but if not then fine as I do not need the modem functionality now.

What's with this file? Here is some source code for ADSL (bcm6348): ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/DG834GBv4_V5.01.01_src.zip

Well I sure hope it is the right source code. If this proves to be true then it really would be a miracle etc. !
Somebody more senior here needs to investigate but I really doubt that this is the source code.

I've got a couple of BCM96328 devices here that I'm keen to get OpenWRT on. I don't need the DSL support - just Ethernet and WiFi.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm happy to provide a test device for someone to experiment with if required.

timc wrote:

I've got a couple of BCM96328 devices here that I'm keen to get OpenWRT on. I don't need the DSL support - just Ethernet and WiFi.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I'm happy to provide a test device for someone to experiment with if required.

I think that developers are unwilling to continue work on this closed source nightmare-of-a-platform. You might be lucky though etc. !

timc wrote:

Support for the BCM6368 should come soonish; I plan to work on BCM6328 support as as soon as it's there (as the BCM6328 is much more similar to the BCM6368 than the earlier devices). I do have a device at home waiting to get worked on wink.

KanjiMonster wrote:
timc wrote:

Support for the BCM6368 should come soonish; I plan to work on BCM6328 support as as soon as it's there (as the BCM6328 is much more similar to the BCM6368 than the earlier devices). I do have a device at home waiting to get worked on wink.

What are the main differences between the different platform versions ???

649 (edited by s12191 2011-05-28 10:15:40)

Tell whether openwrt bcm963xx support SPI flash S25FL032A?

s12191 wrote:

Tell whether openwrt bcm963xx support SPI flash S25FL032A?

That is a pretty detailed question but you need to ask the developers. Likely any flash will work etc. I think but not sure.