OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: VDSL with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I buyed the new router because i upgraded the Telekom VDSL25 to VDSL50 and my old router is only capable up to 30mbit.
My VDSL-Modem is  Speedlink 1113
I get it not working, i still get
Mar 14 21:27:34 OpenWrt daemon.warn pppd[578]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Mar 14 21:27:34 OpenWrt daemon.err pppd[578]: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery

have anyone get it work?

my network config:

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.1'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.0.123'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0.7'
        option 'proto' 'pppoe'
        option 'username' '0012372886#550223492145#0001@t-online.de'
        option 'password' 'geheim'
        option 'keepalive' '10'

config 'switch'
        option 'name' 'rtl8366rb'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'device' 'rtl8366rb'
        option 'vlan' '1'
        option 'ports' '1 2 3 4 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5'

(Last edited by chiaki on 14 Mar 2011, 22:02)

It seems that no one has got it working?
So can anyone tell me a n-WLAN router which support VDSL?

(Last edited by chiaki on 16 Mar 2011, 15:11)

Why do you name it eth0.7? Stop bothering.

Orca wrote:

Because he needs them tagged with VID 7 for VDSL?

chiaki wrote:
config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5'

Try setting the cpu port to tagged, too:

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'
KanjiMonster wrote:
Orca wrote:

And why should somebody [b[need[/b] this? What if you have 2PHY and use no VLAN at all?

Now I am confused:  Is this posting a hint, that VDSL does not work with OpenWrt on the WR1043ND and the [b]standard settings[b]? Or did he just fuck up the configuration? Without any need or benefit... My mistake, I should have ignored it.

Orca wrote:
KanjiMonster wrote:

And why should somebody [b[need[/b] this?

Because Telekom chose to use VLAN tagged PPPoE packets for VDSL, instead of untagged packets like most ADSL lines (this is done to discriminate between VDSL internet and IPTV traffic).

What if you have 2PHY and use no VLAN at all?

You mean if there's no switch behind either? Then you don't need to configure any switch, but you still need to use ethX.7 for the wan interface.

Orca wrote:

Now I am confused:  Is this posting a hint, that VDSL does not work with OpenWrt on the WR1043ND and the [b]standard settings[b]?

Yes, and this affects OpenWrt in general, not just the WR1043ND, because the wan interface is normally always untagged. Blame Telekom for using non standard stuff (actually that's rather common when using multiple services over a xDSL line, like internet, VoIP, and IPTV - but there's no standard for the VIDs, every ISP uses different ones).

Orca wrote:

My mistake, I should have ignored it.

I'm quite tempted to quote Nuhr ;-p

KanjiMonster wrote:

I'm quite tempted to quote Nuhr ;-p

Nah, don't bother, this actually will save me A LOT of trouble! I had no idea. So, well, THX for the info!

While you're at it, you don't happen to know how they manage the QoS/DiffServ/etc on the Double/Tripple use, do you?

Edit:  Do we put this unimportant little side information to get Internet working in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/internetconnection or in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network ?

(Last edited by Orca on 16 Mar 2011, 17:40)

Orca wrote:

Nah, don't bother, this actually will save me A LOT of trouble! I had no idea. So, well, THX for the info!

You're welcome. Since I don't have a VDSL connection myself, take this information with a grain of salt; but I'm pretty confident that it's correct.

Orca wrote:

While you're at it, you don't happen to know how they manage the QoS/DiffServ/etc on the Double/Tripple use, do you?

I can only guess, but the fact that the IPTV uses a different VID than the normal internet traffic makes putting them into different QoS classes based on their VID quite easy.

Orca wrote:

Edit:  Do we put this unimportant little side information to get Internet working in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/internetconnection or in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network ?

I would wait for a confirmation that this actually fixed it. Then ugh, I don't know. Perhaps adding it as an example to http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network would be be best. Adding the correct VLAN tagging depends on wether the WAN port has its own physical ethernet interface (like on the WNDR3700) or is just a vlan tagged virtual interface (like on most broadcom devices, or this TP-Link).

KanjiMonster wrote:
Orca wrote:

chiaki wrote:
config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5'

Try setting the cpu port to tagged, too:

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'

Thanks smile
That works!

Glad to hear. Is this a VDSL issue after all, but a Double-/Triple-/Quadruple-Play issue? If you have VDSL+ISDN and without IPTV this should not be necessary.

And this necessity is configured into the Modem, right?

chiaki wrote:

Thanks smile
That works!

hi Chiaki and all others,

i was wondering if you have VDSL with or without Entertain?
when Telekom changed me to VDSL without Entertain, my old D-Link router didnt work anymore so i got the TL-WR1043ND and it worked, even with original firmware (shame on me). I actually didnt try OpenWRT then, but a few weeks later i ordered Entertain/IPTV and that got me obviously changed to VLAN 7 and 8, so i dont get any connection with the TL-WR1043ND since that day.
I tried OpenWRT with your configuration from this thread and set the cpu port to tagged too but as far i understood its only about the VLAN 7 right? Am not a guru at all this unfortunately sad

Does anyone have a hint if this router model can support VLAN 7 and 8 on the WAN Port and how this is done using OpenWRT?

Any help would be so much appreciated

Yogi

(Last edited by Yogi285 on 1 Apr 2011, 21:52)

Yogi285 wrote:
chiaki wrote:

Thanks smile
That works!

when Telekom changed me to VDSL without Entertain, my old D-Link router didnt work anymore so i got the TL-WR1043ND and it worked, even with original firmware (shame on me). I actually didnt try OpenWRT then, but a few weeks later i ordered Entertain/IPTV and that got me obviously changed to VLAN 7 and 8, so i dont get any connection with the TL-WR1043ND since that day.
I tried OpenWRT with your configuration from this thread and set the cpu port to tagged too but as far i understood its only about the VLAN 7 right? Am not a guru at all this unfortunately sad

Does anyone have a hint if this router model can support VLAN 7 and 8 on the WAN Port and how this is done using OpenWRT?

Yogi

Yes, you can - it's called Vlan trunking - a switch port configured tagged ethernet frames, as in your case it should be configured to handle several Vlans at the same port, at the same time. To accomplish this you should create another Vlan statement for Vlan 8 and include port 0 as trunk (0t) once again like the statement for Vlan 7.

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '8'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'

It's also possible to use the switch_port statement in which to configure all the ports on the switch in the corresponding Vlans, but this is not needed at all.

(Last edited by dir2cas on 2 Apr 2011, 03:29)

dir2cas, is it possible to get that also working via WLAN? I also have an TL-WR1043ND now and would like to use it as main device and use the old WRT54G as Wireless-device i could connect the TV-Box to.

Lubomir wrote:

dir2cas, is it possible to get that also working via WLAN? I also have an TL-WR1043ND now and would like to use it as main device and use the old WRT54G as Wireless-device i could connect the TV-Box to.

Unfortunately this is not supported by the official 802.11 standart. There is no way to handle multiple Vlans on the same Wlan link - you should use a workaround like using a kind of higher layer encapsulation like IPoverIP or something similar, but not a generic L2.

You may also bridge 1 or more Vlans with the Wlan iface to achieve a communication between Vlans connected via Wlan etc.
In openwrt you also may have a separate wireless interface (logical, NOT physical wireless radio) that you may bridge with a particular Vlan and in this way to accomplish something similar.

(Last edited by dir2cas on 11 May 2011, 22:07)

dir2cas wrote:

You may also bridge 1 or more Vlans with the Wlan iface to achieve a communication between Vlans connected via Wlan etc.
In openwrt you also may have a separate wireless interface (logical, NOT physical wireless radio) that you may bridge with a particular Vlan and in this way to accomplish something similar.

That won't work, because the TL-WR1043ND uses an rtl8366rb-switch.
Unfortunately OpenWRT's rtl8366rb-drivers have a bug that prevent VLAN bridging, confirmed on at least four different devices using the Realtek-chip:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/8701

So unless that bug gets fixed, you won't be able to bridge two VLANs.

Hm, so it is impossible now to get that somehow working...

Lubomir wrote:

Hm, so it is impossible now to get that somehow working...

Well, the only useful manner in order to achieve generic L2 tunneling over WLAN, will be to bridge a single Vlan with the wireless interface and in this way to transport that particular Vlan over the wireless channel.

As sborilla said, it comes out that would be impossible for now to bridge Vlans, in fact bridging Vlans may cause a severe L2 loops if you are not careful enough.

However there is another workaround - with Linux/openWrt wireless drivers, you may create multiple wireless interfaces, t.e. you may bridge a single Vlan per wireless interface and in this way to transport them over the wireless - however you should be careful again about the corresponding wifi - Vlan on the both ends, because causing a loop is easy.

In fact Vlan bridging may be achieved in another way - setting two physical ports on the RTL switch to be access ports in two different Vlans, lets say : port 1 -> Vlan 10; port 2 -> Vlan 20. Then you may place a patch cable, looping the two ports together. BE VERY CAREFUL to set the ports correctly.

I just made that "bit" more easy and everything work fine now WITHOUT any complicated work: Just bough some dLAN adapter, connect everything, turn power on -> working.

I just want to mention, that the SPEEDPORT 221 VDSL-Modem (by Deutsche Telekom, manufactured by Sphairon) detects untagged PPPoE packets and automatically adds the required VLAN ID7 as a fall-back solution. But take care, as this does not work with IPTV which needs VLAN ID8.
I did not test it yet - my vdsl line will be connecte in 6 weeks :-(

How does the modem know which 802.1Q-tag to add to which packet?

How can i configure this on a device where WAN is an other interface and not a VLAN in the LAN? I tried enable switching and vlan, but it cant enable switch(i dont think thats needed). I tried renaming the interface from eth1 to eth1.8 just to get that for test working but it dont worked. The internet connection just worked and the iptv doesnt (normal internet cant work here on this isp with vlan8).

The device is an Butffalo ag300

dir2cas wrote:
Yogi285 wrote:
chiaki wrote:

Thanks smile
That works!

Yogi

Yes, you can - it's called Vlan trunking - a switch port configured tagged ethernet frames, as in your case it should be configured to handle several Vlans at the same port, at the same time. To accomplish this you should create another Vlan statement for Vlan 8 and include port 0 as trunk (0t) once again like the statement for Vlan 7.

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '7'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'

config 'switch_vlan'
        option 'vlan' '8'
        option 'ports' '0t 5t'

It's also possible to use the switch_port statement in which to configure all the ports on the switch in the corresponding Vlans, but this is not needed at all.

With this trick it is possible to use this router with the new vdsl + entertain (vlan7 = internet traffic, vlan8=iptv traffic), right?

Rght.
But you can use nearly every router running openwrt with this. He just should be vlan capable.

Hi,

Someone might find useful go over the UI under Interfaces and chose PPPoE option ...

https://s24.postimg.org/d9lf3gez9/Screenshot+-+13-04-2016+-+12:05:58.png

The discussion might have continued from here.