Re: Asus WL-330gE Works -- Small and Cheap Broadcom Router

I was able to get the wireless working with a 2.6 kernel (brcm47xx trunk r18042) on my WL-330gE by hacking the compat-wireless-2009-10-09/config.mk and setting CONFIG_B43_PHY_LP=y.  No problems so far.

sking -- great news. I'm'a give that a try now. I only wish there was a way to wire up USB -- the BCM5354 chip's got support for it. This thing could have been the Fonera killer. tongue

rafmannne wrote:

Anyone else notice J1 in upper right side of photo?

It looks like the WL-330gE has 2 internal [as advertised]  microstrip antennas [Diversity Reception] but J1 is for an external cable connection.

Can anyone else confirm that connect is on the gE model & if so, what type of connector is it? Hopefully something like an MMCX!

The FCC Docs contain a photo of the board (page 5 of this pdf). It appears that the connection labeled J1 in WL 330 G photo is also present on the WL 330GE but now labeled CON1. It would be neat to mod this device to use an external antenna.

I'm thinking about getting one of these to use as a repeater or "hotspot" gateway. The original firmware "hotspot" mode allows the router to join one wifi network and share it over a network that it creates. In order to do this, I imagine that the two antennas operate on separate radios. Does anyone know if this is actually the case - and if so, is the two radio mode supported under OpenWRT?

Hi
Sorry to open an oldish thread but I am having problems trying to get my wl-330ge working. I have installed openwrt-WL-330gE-8.09-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx which I understood to have all the required patches.

Since install the option to hold reset at power on to be able to tftp no longer works. Power flashes but box is unpingable.

You can get in by pressing reset *after* it starts booting. What I really want to do is have it work in STAtion mode but I can't find any docs. The "WPA client mode" link leads to a 404 :-(

In messing about I have managed to b****r it in that a normal boot brings up all the lights but you can't talk to the box. I would like to get back to the initial install configuration but don't know how. In terms of the vlan port numbers do you know how things are numbered on this box?

My original problem was that my wl-330g will not do WPA correclty so I bought this - but *it* can't do MAC address cloning when in adapter mode. The clone feature mentioned in the WRT docs suggest it only works on the WAN interface.

Thinking about it overnight I thought a possible solution would be to set the wireless as the wan port and have the lan running a second network such that anything going lan -> wifi would get NATed and solve the MAC address mismatch I see with the stock firmware. ie the end system sees a wifi connection from MAC 1 and then IP requests from MAC 2 that it knows nothing about. This results in either not getting a DHCP address in the first place, usually with hotel systems, or some things not working. With the stock firmware for example most TCP stuff works, ping, telnet etc. but HTTP just sits there doing nothing. This is either Firefox or wget.

Any help/pointers *much* appreciated.

Check https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient for setup instructions.

Thank you *so* much. At least I had figured out what I needed to do - I just did not know what the docs called it :-)

Thanks again.

OK got it working, but can anyone suggest why I get such bad performance? Pings, even on my local LAN, over the wifi connection are way too high:

64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=0. time=1610. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=1. time=640. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=2. time=870. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=3. time=1030. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=4. time=1940. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=5. time=920. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=6. time=720. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=7. time=1240. ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.2: icmp_seq=8. time=210. ms

Has anyone successfully loaded backfire onto the Asus WL-330gE?

I am able to get Kamikaze v8.09.2 working out of the box using openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx from the downloads section of the website.  It works after a reboot, and I am able to telnet to 192.168.1.1

When I try backfire rc4, I am able to tftp the firmware onto the device, but I am unable to telnet to 192.168.1.1 after rebooting it.

languagegame wrote:

When I try backfire rc4, I am able to tftp the firmware onto the device, but I am unable to telnet to 192.168.1.1 after rebooting it.

Can you ping the router at 192.168.1.1?  Can you access it via the web interface?

After flashing backfire rc4 to 192.168.1.220, I am unable to ping, telnet, or access the web interface after rebooting.  I've tried to access these services on both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.220.

I am connected via the ethernet cable, and on my laptop I've set a static IP address of 192.168.1.100.  (DHCP on laptop does not pick up from the router on backfire).

The power light on the router is on, and the ethernet light blinks.

If I reflash 8.02.9, everything works again.

Not sure why backfire doesn't work.  The device only has a single ethernet port.  Perhaps backfire configures it as WAN instead of LAN?

Access Failsafe mode.

Thanks.  Failsafe mode works.  I can telnet in on 192.168.1.1.  I was then able to enable wireless.

After a reboot, I can now get to Luci over wireless.  However, still unable to access it over ethernet.

languagegame wrote:

Thanks.  Failsafe mode works.  I can telnet in on 192.168.1.1.  I was then able to enable wireless.

It means the default network configuration is good.

Access FailSafe mode and compare default /etc/config/network with what you modified.

39 (edited by languagegame 2011-01-16 17:47:37)

When I boot in failsafe mode, there is no /etc/config/network or /etc/config/wireless.  Where does failsafe pull its network configuration from?  When I mount_root, the files show up, but these are the same that I use when booting normally.

The only line I modified was to # the option disabled 1 line in the wireless file so I could enable wifi.

Now when I boot normally, I can connect wirelessly to the access point, get a DHCP IP address, and telnet to the router.
When I connect via an ethernet cable, I don't get an IP address.  Even if I set one manually, such as 192.168.1.100, it is unable to ping, telnet, or http the router.  Both eth0 and wl0 are connected in a bridge, so it is odd that I can only connect via one of them.  I thought it might be the firewall, so I tried executing '/etc/init.d/firewall stop' but still unable to connect to eth0.

Here's the /etc/config/network
config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname' 'lo'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'type' 'bridge'
        option 'ifname' 'eth0'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.1.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'defaultroute' '0'
        option 'peerdns' '0'

Here's the /etc/config/wireless
config wifi-device  wl0
        option type     broadcom
        option channel  11

# REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
#       option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   wl0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option encryption none

Look at /rom/etc/config.
Please refer to dmesg under FailSafe mode and change "eth0" to "eth0.0" or "eth0.1". If it doesn't work, then try to configure the switch.

/etc/config/network: (refer to WL-520gU)

config 'switch' 'eth0'
    option 'reset' '1'
    option 'enable_vlan' '1'

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_1'
    option 'device' 'eth0'
    option 'vlan' '1'    #eth0.1
    option 'ports' '0 1 2 3 4 5t'

41 (edited by languagegame 2011-01-17 07:35:47)

Thanks.  Enabling the switch in the /etc/config/network worked!  Now I can access the router via both wl0 and eth0.

Added the following to /etc/config/network

config 'switch' 'eth0'

config 'switch_vlan' 'eth0_0'
        option 'device' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan' '0'
        option 'ports' '4 5u'

I encounter the same problem, so is this worthy a regression ticket?

Yes

Hello,

I have a shiny new WL-330gE which I'd like to use with OpenWRT, but I can't find the correct image or procedure.
I tried with Backfire image openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx via the vendor web upgrade interface with no luck.
Could anyone point me to the right Backfire image?

Thank you.

Even tried with tftp and with both the image mentioned above an this one http://backfire.openwrt.org/10.03/brcm47xx/openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx2 with no results at all.
The web interface says the file format is not valid and it simply reboots again in the default Asus firmware.
Via tftp I tried both with atftp and tftp but the upload doesn't even start.

What am I missing? How did you manage to let it work?
Thank you.

Flashing Asus routers
openwrt-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx