Re: running OpenWrt on a TP-Link WR841N V7.1

@ Boter: I haven't tried WDS mode on this router. It should be possible. I'll look into it.
I have noticed the slower clock speed. The WR841ND v5 had heat problems, and my assumption is that TP-Link has underclocked the processor in the v7 to make it run cooler. That might not be the case, but That's my suspicion.

Not even single bridging doesen't work. Which is now the most stable openwrt version for 841nd? i tried the latest rc4, but there is no wifi

78 (edited by sharkys 2011-02-12 11:17:30)

Is there any way how to make QOS work ?
I followed http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos, followed "Quick start guide", got segfaults - after I changed  in /etc/config/qos interface to eth1, after I run "/etc/init.d/qos start" - connection is lost completely and I have to restart AP manually. Not sure whether it's device related, however could you please help me ?  Using "OpenWrt | Kamikaze (r25042)" on TPLINK WR841ND V7.1. Probably there is no way how to configure it via LUCI ?
Thank you.

Btw - is it save to install trunk version from http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin ? I mean is it still broken or it's usable.

Yeah qos works. Install it through Luci (enter qos for search). it will install qos-scripts. Than you have to reboot router. If i correctly remember QOS is in "network". So yeah it can be configured through webinterface. And it works flawlesly.

oneru wrote:

@ Boter: I haven't tried WDS mode on this router. It should be possible. I'll look into it.
I have noticed the slower clock speed. The WR841ND v5 had heat problems, and my assumption is that TP-Link has underclocked the processor in the v7 to make it run cooler. That might not be the case, but That's my suspicion.

I tried with lastest trunk firmware. It works. But still a bit buggy.

Boter wrote:

Yeah qos works. Install it through Luci (enter qos for search). it will install qos-scripts. Than you have to reboot router. If i correctly remember QOS is in "network". So yeah it can be configured through webinterface. And it works flawlesly.

OK, I removed previous package, installed new one via Webinterface - qos-scripts 1.2.1-4, rebooted - there is nothing new in Network, but when I look into INITSCRIPTS I see QOS stopped - after I press START, router loose connection and I have to shut it down. Any help highly appreciated.

What do you mean it's buggy? For me it works pretty much perfect!

83 (edited by sharkys 2011-02-14 23:30:01)

@Boter, could you tell us if you are using all functions - eg. LUCI, Firewall, QOS,WIFI 40+ etc.? Did you applied directly http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin ?

*update* I will answer myself - installed directly that one, keeping previous configuration, then connect via SSH, installed LUCI as stated here - https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=117933#p117933. I'm going to test QOS on this revision (OpenWrt | Kamikaze (r25513) )

I already found why I don't see QOS on Network - it's necessary to install luci-app-qos. However still I don't know why I loose connection while starting QOS... any idea?

OK, so OpenWrt | Kamikaze (r25513) is not working as it should - DHCP together with dnsmasq after simple upgrade is not working, even not starting.  I think it was complaining about the range (I think kind of "bad command line options: bad dhcp-range" - not at the router at the moment) . Could you please give me advice what to change and where ? ...simply going back to the previous version solved it, so is there any "UPDATING" (eg. kind of UPDATING instructions for PORTS on FreeBSD) file with recent changes I should take care of when going to newest version ? I'm using mainly LUCI for configuration.
Reason why I would like to use most recent version : I got problems already with DHCP (only reboot solved it,it happened suddenly without any interaction or changes), so maybe there is some bug in r25042 and - my problems with QOS described above.

@Sharkys: If you try flashing back to the updated version, try unchecking the "keep configuration files" option. It could be that changes in trunk have broken your old configuration. You could back up your config before you flash, in case you still need to revert.

OKi, finally I found reason for this, removing config file didn't help - problem was here - https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/25528. After I edit that file manually (that trunk is r25513), it's working again.

did anyone tried to use vpn tunnels on binaries from http://oneru.dyndns.org/openwrt/ ????
tap/tun driver doesn't work - i really raise the virtual tunnel interface tun0:

root@OpenWrt:~# ifconfig tun0
tun0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet addr:192.168.3.4 P-t-P:192.168.3.4 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

the code is the v-tun based, it really works under any linux, including embedded. The k-mod-tun component is really installed, node /dev/net/tun exists.
The problem is that any attempt to send data using file descriptor of tunnel interface crashes the program. The event of incoming data receive is generated in any case. Trying to read data, we enter the 'forewer' loop! So, k-mod-tun works only for creation and removing interface, no any working I/O procedures available!

is anyone here? Hey, people ))))

Is there any hope to get USB support via GUI in future rc's for this device? Or at least integrated patch?
Because as I see through different forums, many users (me too) buy this low-cost device in order to have 300mbit n-wifi + USB support, but get in panic with patching & compiling kernels.

90 (edited by sharkys 2011-02-19 00:53:09)

I'm trying to build customer firmware using firmware build - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firmware.build#cleanup - simple question, where can I get ImageBuilder for 32bit system ? There is apparently only 64bit (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … 64.tar.bz2). Thank you.

Long night marathon is over. Finally I have latest trunk build without non-sense (for me) USB and PPP modules (on Ubuntu 64bit running under VirtualBox running on 32bit Windows ;-) ), that allowed me to install also luci-app-qos and still I have 184kB free including LUCI (wasn't possible before on my WR841ND V7.1).
Build (http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firmware.build#cleanup) with parameter "make image PROFILE=TLWR841NDV7 PACKAGES="-ppp -ppp-mod-pppoe crda kmod-ath kmod-cfg80211 wireless-tools luci" (not sure if crda, kmod-ath, kmod-cfg80211 are really required or are added automatically trough dependences, but I was trying not to brick my router).
resulted in packages "base-files busybox crda dnsmasq dropbear firewall hotplug2 iptables kernel kmod-ath kmod-ath9k kmod-button-hotplug kmod-cfg80211 kmod-input-core kmod-input-gpio-buttons kmod-input-polldev kmod-ipt-nathelper kmod-leds-gpio libc libgcc luci mtd opkg swconfig uci udevtrigger wireless-tools wpad-mini".

While running QOS I'm using in /etc/config/qos following (in some configurations there is "wan" instead of "eth1"), 6MBIT up and down.

config 'interface' 'eth1'
        option 'classgroup' 'Default'
        option 'enabled' '1'
        option 'overhead' '1'
        option 'download' '6000'
        option 'upload' '6000'
+ rules.

Finally after starting QOS I do not loose connectivity, so it allows me to enable startup script, but was working till reboot - then QOS was not activated fully despite of "ENABLED" startup settings in INITSCRIPTS section of LUCI (or "/etc/init.d/qos enable" as described here - http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/qos).  I modded startup script /etc/init.d/qos in the following way (added qos-start in boot section) and now even after reboot it's fine and enabled by default :

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/init.d/qos
#!/bin/sh /etc/rc.common
# Copyright (C) 2006 OpenWrt.org

START=50

boot() {
        /usr/lib/qos/generate.sh firewall | sh
        qos-start
}

start() {
        qos-start
}

stop() {
        qos-stop
}

And finally - while downloading something, HTTP and others connections are running fine (eg. while heavy download ping to some server went to 900ms!!, and now to 80ms from original 4ms)

Could someone with better experience confirm whether this is a bug or not ? Why at boot it's launched " /usr/lib/qos/generate.sh firewall | sh" however "qos-start" starts "/usr/lib/qos/generate.sh all | sh" ???

Hi Guys!
I have a 841NDv7.1 with fw DD-WRT. I would change to OpenWRt, because I cannot use QSS button to toggle WIFI on/off.
It is not clear for me what version is the right one for me.
I am newbie in Linux so the best would be if it is not so complicated to install... smile
I don't need many extras such as HotSpot, VPN, Samba etc. which only fill my 4MB flash. I need only the base functions for a router, but the only extra is to toggle WIFI with QSS button!!!!

Could somebody advice me what to do?

Thanks in advance!

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - WR841N(D) V7 USB 2.0 Mod

What do you mean it?
Do you re-route to DD-WRT? I said that DD-WRT couldn't handle QSS button, so it doesn't suit me.
I try to solve my problem with OpenWRT which seems to be more flexible.

Does It mean that openwrt has no fw to my router (841NDv7.1 (not v7 or v5))?

Thanks!

sharkys wrote:

@Boter, could you tell us if you are using all functions - eg. LUCI, Firewall, QOS,WIFI 40+ etc.? Did you applied directly http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin ?

*update* I will answer myself - installed directly that one, keeping previous configuration, then connect via SSH, installed LUCI as stated here - https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=117933#p117933. I'm going to test QOS on this revision (OpenWrt | Kamikaze (r25513) )

I already found why I don't see QOS on Network - it's necessary to install luci-app-qos. However still I don't know why I loose connection while starting QOS... any idea?

I also built image for myself svn 25513 because I needed TTL target manipulation with iptables. I had the same problem and the solution is very simple.
Just go to https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/package/base-files/files/usr/lib/common.awk?rev=6501 download the file in original format (the link is on bottom of the page) and then put it in /usr/lib in the router (I've red somewhere that it is an iptalbes bug but not sure). Then everything works perfect. Have not tested QOS. Hope that will help someone ...

Hi all!
How can I install kernel modules if I have my router flashed with trunk kernel v2.6.32.27 and latest trunk packages are already v2.6.37.1 incompatible with my kernel?

P.S. It is not possible for me to upgrade firmware because of integrated USB-patch which is still not implemented in official releases.

DrStein wrote:

P.S. It is not possible for me to upgrade firmware because of integrated USB-patch which is still not implemented in official releases

Then the answer is you can't.

Is there any chance that this minor kernel patch will be implemented in next official backfire release? I hope OpenWRT developers read this thread.

DrStein wrote:

Hi all!
How can I install kernel modules if I have my router flashed with trunk kernel v2.6.32.27 and latest trunk packages are already v2.6.37.1 incompatible with my kernel?

I can provide you a (official) trunk package mirror. Which revision we are talking about?
In stock: r24915 r25002 r25047 r25060 r25094 r25223 r25258 r25302 r25398

Netgear WNR854T (ARM Marvell Orion CPU 500MHz, Marvell 88W8361P mini-PCI STA only, 8/32MB) - trunk r17427 since 09/09/09 to 06-06-12 GLOD
TP-LINK TL-WR741ND v1.9 (Atheros AR7240 CPU 350MHz, Atheros AR9285 Chipset, 4/32MB) - trunk r23281 since 10/10/10
TP-LINK TL-MR3420 v1.1, TL-MR3220 v1.2 - trunk r25302 since 11/11/11
TP-LINK TL-WR842ND v1.0, TL-WR1043ND v1.8 - 12.09-rc1 since 12/12/12

Nilfred wrote:

Which revision we are talking about?
In stock: r24915 r25002 r25047 r25060 r25094 r25223 r25258 r25302 r25398

I have Kamikaze build r25488