OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: 64 bit counter support in SNMP (TL-WR1043ND)

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm setting up SNMP monitoring to monitor my OpenWRT box. But to my surprise i cannot get ifHCInOctets etc. There seems to be no support for Counter64 at all sad

I'm running Backfire (10.03, r20728) with package snmpd-static (5.4.2.1-2).

Is this a hardware limitation or should I file a bug for the snmpd-static package maintainer?

Thank you for your help,
Ralf.

You need to edit feeds/packages/net/net-snmp/Makefile according to the patch I posted here https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/8818

For me it wasn't enough to rebuild and opkg install the new snmp package, I had to build and install the whole kernel/system. But it was worth it (:

Changed the Wiki a bit. But I'm not all into this building of own firmwarez. Isn't this just something the package maintainer should take care of in his package?

Well.... thank you, but what I meant was a more complete howto. You know, like in the
http://wiki.openwrt.org/meta/templates

Most (new) users probably have one PC with some GNU/Linux distribution on it, if any. A router with OpenWrt would be their first "second device" which runs 24/7. I would never run a PC 24/7 just for fun. It wastes energy (and money). My OpenWrt-Router (and my new Dockstar ;-)) are my very first devices I run 24/7.

So there is no experience with snmp, because until now there was no possibility or reason for such. The same is true for a dhcpd, a timeserver, DNS-stuff, webserver, etc.
It would be already helpful to provide one or two links to an already existing HowTo. I mean, even if you read the related wikipedia article, I often do bother to link to it, you don't gain much knowledge, as most articles are, IMHO, shit. You don't get a good understanding, and you still need a howto anyway. There should already be a dozen good howtos, I just don't find them using google. And why waste time searching?

But well, if you see no point in writing a howto,  there is no point in bothering with it. I didn't mean to recruit you, I just thought to mention the wiki. There is one, it is active, and I suggested some articles to be written. Contributors welcome.

Orca, I understand. But I just edited the Wiki to link to this thread. If I find the time to patch and build my own solution I'll update the wiki with a Howto. Still, I hope duvi can copy-paste some of his knowledge so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. My time is not in abundance a.t.m…

The discussion might have continued from here.