OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: support for DLINK DIR-615 Hw:D1

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Feb 2015 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi, I have a DIR-615 B2  This has not been verified to work or not work, correct?

DIR-615 B2
a) has different hardware
b) has different firmware format
c) is marked as unsupportable by DD-WRT

The recent updates/patches to hostapd and compat-wireless have finally enabled use of encryption without the router freezing (psk, psk2 and psk-mixed tested).

There's still not fully implemented 802.11n mode meaning only max 54mbps wireless, but I think it's better than nothing.

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?buar7bh2ud0qjo2

Hi all, firstly thanks to all for your hard work in getting openwrt to work with the dir-615. I'm having trouble with the latest image posted by omgwtfbbq. I'm getting the following errors in dmesg on a dir-615 D4:
phy0 -> rt2800_init_eeprom: Error - Invalid RF chipset detected.
phy0 -> rt2x00lib_probe_dev: Error - Failed to allocate device.

Can I ask what patches you included, if any, or whether it was just a build of the latest trunk code? The last build I built had working wireless but without the encryption being available.

Thanks

Hi Datty, check my post on the bottom of the previous page.
Compat-wireless report RF chip ID 0x0c on my DIR-615 D3.
Chip with that ID is not supported by the driver but it seems to be compatible with RF3022 which is supported (ID 0x08).

I don't know if rev D4 has the same RF chip, you will have to identify it first.
Try to enable debugging in rt2x00 drivers config before compiling and also make sure your build supports dmesg.
After you upload your new firmware, call dmesg and look for ID of your RF chip.

EDIT: The ID has magically changed from 0x0c to 0x00 with the latest updates to trunk.
Which means my tutorial on the previous page needs minor modification:

13. Open ./build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x/compat-wireless-2010-09-14/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800.h in yout favourite text editor, find '#define RF3022' (line 57) and change its value from '0x0008' to '0x0000'. Save the file.

(Last edited by omgwtfbbq on 22 Sep 2010, 01:48)

Thanks for getting back to me. I've rebuilt the latest trunk with the change you suggested and it works perfectly(WPA2). Only the final hurdle of wifi-n to get through now but I guess thats down to the guys writing the driver. Hopefully won't be too long but at least its working to some extent!

Thanks again

Another step in wireless driver development.

The driver can now be compiled without any modifications to chip IDs, RF3022 is recognised automatically.

802.11n is almost working (both channel widths 20/40MHz).
Client can successfully connect to the AP and recieve DHCP info, even correct speeds (144/300mbps) are reported.
Then the connection hangs.

We will have fully functional N mode very soon.
For now, use G mode, it works just fine.

Hi Guys,

I'm also very interested in this project. I have some OEM boxes from China with the RT3050, 4MB of Flash, and 16MB of RAM. I'll be downloading from the trunk and following your instructions. Hopefully I can be of some help moving forward. At a minimum, I'm a test engineer, so when everything comes together with the 802.11n support, I can put it through it's paces and report back.

Good work everyone, thanks!

Shawn

omgwtfbbq,
How did you find out the signature info for v2image? I am just curious. It would be nice to added to the wiki page.

@cheche

I read the help message of v2image, opened original firmware in hex editor, found "suspicious" strings and after few tries got what I wanted.
A cleaner way would be to download D-Link SDK and look for a script responsible for signing the image.

I think I read about v2image on DD-WRT forums first but I can't remember link to that page nor can I find it.

@omgwtfbbq Thanks!.
Follow the notes but I am unable to upgrade from dd-wrt. Do I need to sign the image to install it using tftp method? Or do I need to go back to original firmware?

@cheche

DD-WRT uses different image signature.
Sign the image using v2image and then upload it through Emergency room.

Hi

I have bought Dir-615, my revision is D1.

I have attached  a serial cable to board .

Is possible to install openwrt?? How do it?

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1904/img2357.th.jpg http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1456/img2358o.th.jpg http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8435/img2355a.th.jpg

(Last edited by dk_giuse89 on 6 Nov 2010, 20:41)

@dk_giuse89 please follow the instructions https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 01#p115801

I have test it and it works for me. I had the dd-wrt firmware installed first so to upgrade just hld the reset button for 30 sec. and ifconfig 192.168.0.5 and http://192.168.1.1 to the firmware upgrade page.

(Last edited by cheche on 7 Nov 2010, 02:27)

Hi,

For atheros revision, is possible add usb support, but on this revision, mabye on pcb missing of d+ and d-.

Thanks

omgwtfbbq wrote:

Compat-wireless + hostapd = working AP mode.
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/ind … mode_Howto

How to make DIR-615D firmware with AP support (limited, see my previous post):
1. Get v2image (see RealEnder's post), place it somewhere in your PATH.
2. $ svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
3. $ cd trunk
4. $ ./scripts/feeds update -a
5. $ ./scripts/feeds install -a
6. $ make menuconfig
7. Target System - Ralink RT288x/RT305x
8. Subtarget - RT305x based boards
9. Select Kernel modules - Wireless drivers - kmod-rt2800-pci
10. Network - hostapd[-mini]
11. Exit saving changes.
[s]12. $ make package/mac80211-prepare[/s]
[s]13. Open ./build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x/compat-wireless-2010-07-29/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800.h in yout favourite text editor, find '#define RF3022' (line 57) and change its value from '0x0008' to '0x000c'. Save the file.[/s]
14. $ make
15. $ cd bin/ramips/
16. $ v2image -s "wrgn22_dlwbr_dir615" -d "/dev/mtdblock/2" -i "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" -o "openwrt-dir615d-3022.bin"
17. Flash the new firmware (openwrt-dir615d-3022.bin) using web interface or Emergency Room.

-----

Yep, fonosfera has the rt2860v2_ap driver and olecam made DIR-300B1 target package for it, but it doesn't seem to be working on DIR-615D.

I gave up compiling the driver some time ago...
The problem is, it calls several deprecated functions that are not present in higher versions anymore, also the code is pretty messy itself.

I have a question regarding this post. After first try of making firmware for my DIR-615D3 using these instruction it was OK. Then I tried to play with packages and other things and try again to make firmware. This (second and third) time, I have less files in bin/ramips folder. For example, there is no "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" which is used in making final file.

Can somebody demystify this for me.

Thank you.

L.

@liquid.o

There's a limit on firmware size (around 3.5-3.7MiB), if over this limit, the image is not created.
Try to remove several packages.

Yes, that was it.

Thank you.

Hello All!
Sorry my English, i come from Ukraine.

So i have DIR-615 D4. I successfully flashed firmware OpenWRT from trunk. I see maximum speed 54Mbit. Need speed 802.11n - 300Mbit. Its posible on dd-wrt, but i wont OpenWRT. If you have any information about this please post here.

With Love from Ukraine smile

Actually I have similar question. Does anyone managed to run Ralink based device in ieee802.11n mode?

@a.a.okhrimenko: I have such router, but currently it is in my brothers flat. If nobody answer soon I'll visit him and try by myself.

Opensource drivers used in OpenWRT do not fully support n mode yet.
You will have to stick with the original firmware or try DD-WRT or Wive-RTNL.

Guys at DD-WRT have access to Ralink svn meaning they always use the latest Wi-Fi driver available.
However, there've been a bug regarding n mode speeds limiting it to somewhat around 144mbps even on 40MHz band.
Older kernel, quite good administration panel, no IPv6 and you have to stick with their builds, custom ones are not possible (or very hard to make).

Wive-RTNL is a Russian custom firmware for Ralink RT305x devices.
They also use the official driver from Ralink but not having access to their svn, they have to get it from other manufacturers' GPL drivers (mainly ASUS).
Even older heavily hacked kernel, not-so-cool admin panel, IPv6 possible (after few hacks) in custom builds (freezes my router however - not working?).
40MHz 300mbps works fine.

I'd rather stick to OpenWRT without 802.11n support. Thanks for reply omgwtfbbq!

It's quite optimistic tho, we have more and more drivers for mac802.11, including Broadcom (sic!).

omgwtfbbq wrote:

Opensource drivers used in OpenWRT do not fully support n mode yet.
You will have to stick with the original firmware or try DD-WRT or Wive-RTNL.

Guys at DD-WRT have access to Ralink svn meaning they always use the latest Wi-Fi driver available.
However, there've been a bug regarding n mode speeds limiting it to somewhat around 144mbps even on 40MHz band.
Older kernel, quite good administration panel, no IPv6 and you have to stick with their builds, custom ones are not possible (or very hard to make).

Wive-RTNL is a Russian custom firmware for Ralink RT305x devices.
They also use the official driver from Ralink but not having access to their svn, they have to get it from other manufacturers' GPL drivers (mainly ASUS).
Even older heavily hacked kernel, not-so-cool admin panel, IPv6 possible (after few hacks) in custom builds (freezes my router however - not working?).
40MHz 300mbps works fine.

I'm not sure you're right here. I think you must have your settings mixed up or something or just a bad revision, but 802.11n *is* working with Openwrt on this device.

I've got N mode working fine with a recent trunk build (r24805) with up to 144mbs, even with your old build from August (r22733) I had working N mode - though it was running poorly and without encryption but certainly working at above 54mbps speeds. Interestingly your "54mbps working" build (r23074) doesn't detect the wireless at all on my device.

As for the 144mbps on DD-WRT - some say that's a feature not a bug. 300mbps works, but turns itself off when it detects interference, which WiFi spec says it should do, but it might be doing so a bit too sensitively. It only applies to builds >15xxx, build 14xxx and below have 300mbps working fine even under heavy interference conditions. I think the updated driver just meets wifi spec when the old one didn't.

Now I believe revisions D1/D2/D3/D4 are all the same - at least I use the same firmware on D2 and D4, but the only other thing I can think of is a revision issue. Either way, N mode definitely works on a DIR-615 D2 and you can get >54mbps speed with working encryption using latest trunk builds.

Mind you I'm having some trouble with the Ethernet on r24805, will either only connect at 10mbps or run 100mbps with lots of packet loss but only when connected directly to my desktop, via a switch it works fine - yet this didn't happen with older builds.

For those of you who can or cannot get N working please post the following information:
1) Router revision (i.e. D1, D2, D3 or D4)
2) Wireless mode (e.g. g+n, n-only, etc.)
3) HT mode
4) Security mode (on router)
5) Client device (e.g. Laptop with Intel 5100 card)
6) Security *and* encryption mode on client (e.g. WPA2-Personal, AES)
7) Highest reported rate on client

For me, the following *does* work:
1) Rev D2
2) g+n
3) 20Mhz
4) WPA2-PSK
5) Win7 Laptop w/ Intel 5100
6) WPA2-Personal, AES
7) 144mbps

I can get an actual data transfer rate of >95mbps with these settings, limited mainly by the 100mbps Ethernet ports on the router.

[Edit/Update]

I've got 40Mhz/300mbps mode working on Openwrt too. It works if I start up my router in the kitchen, but not my bedroom. There's less neighbouring APs detectable in the kitchen, so it must also be an interference-mitigation "feature", not a bug. When there's lots of overlapping neighbours, it'll only run in 20Mhz/144mbps mode, if I start it up where there's few neighbours (or in a microwave) it'll run in 40Mhz/300mbps. It doesn't seem to switch between the two while operating - if it starts in 40Mhz and detects interference that would have caused it to start in 20Mhz, instead of switching from 40 to 20 the wireless seems to turn off completely...

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 5 Jan 2011, 03:32)

The latest revision (r24915) doesn't seem to detect RF chipset in my DIR-615 D3 anymore, I had to select it manually before compiling.

It's funny but max reported speed, even on N mode, is again 54mbps.
With older revisions, I was able to connect at N speeds (144mbps) but the connection was extremely unstable.

Interesting. Other than our build numbers, the only other difference I can see between my router and yours is mine's a D2 and yours is a D3. Perhaps the wireless chip revision is different between the two? How would I find out what the RF chip ID is on mine?

When I get a moment I'll compile r24915 and see how it works on my D2 and D4 revisions.