Topic: Ideas for Backfire and wl500g?

Hi!

I know it's only listed for kamikaze in supported hardware but I was to curious to not try.
So I flashed it (backfire/10.03/brcm-2.4) but it did not boot. So before I try betas and so forth, I just wanted to know if anyone got it working and how.

And it's just 500g not deluxe, premium or others.

Thank you.

Re: Ideas for Backfire and wl500g?

Also just tried backfire/10.03.1-rc3/brcm-2.4 but fails to boot.

You can find this information useful:
Asus WL-500xx series routers

I have ASUS WL-500G Premium v1. It is flashed with DD-Wrt v24 sp2 (build 13064)

Using DD-wrt seems very complicated compared to openwrt. Just read the "peacock" thread the other day and there's som many ifs and buts. Had xwrt working well on it before trying backfire. Then went back to kamikaze (no problem) and now just tried the rc3 of 10.03.1.

@vplessky

Got around to flash with DD-Wrt v24 sp2 (build 13064) and it works flawlessly!
Highly recomended for wl500g users. Thanks again!

@boboz
The 13064 is BAD dd-wrt build, you should update it at least to this or this build.
Link to information source.

OpenWRT trunk r27772 @ SX763
OpenWRT backfire 10.03 @ DSL-G684T

I have an Asus WL-500g (one with LPT port) and I have got the following to boot:
Backfire 47xx (2.6), but I can't get USB to work
Kamikaze 47xx (2.6), but I can't get USB to work (and also this does not have wireless support)
Kamikaze Brcm 2.4, and everything works - USB & Wireless.

I have a HID remote control and I would like to get this to work, but hid drivers are only in 2.6 kernel, which is why I have tried 2.6 kernels.
If anyone has USB working on 2.6 kernel, or HID drivers working on 2.4 kernel for WL-500g, then let me know.

In Backfire 2.6, after adding kmod-usb-core, kmod-usb-ohci, kmod-scsi-core & kmod-usb-storage, I don't see scsi directory in /dev and if I plug in a USB stick, then dmesg says absolutely nothing, but if I add the same packages in Kamikaze 2.4, I get /dev/scsi and if I plug in a USB stick, then I get messages in dmesg.

For Kamikaze 2.4, if I run  "insmod usbcore" then I get:
insmod: a module named usbcore already exists

But in Backfire 2.6 I get:
insmod: can't insert 'usbcore': File exists

I don't know if there is a change in the messages diplayed between 2.4 and 2.6 or whether this slightly different messages indicates an issue.

Mike

I have a WL-500G running 10.03.1-rc3 (brcm47xx target). Runs just fine. I am planning to upgrade my WL-500G Deluxe to it as well, but since I don't use that one anymore, I haven't gotten to that yet.

OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 on Asus WL-500G :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09.1 (r40432) on Asus WL-500G Deluxe / Netgear WNDR3700 v1 / TP-Link TL-WR1043ND :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09 on WNDR3700 v2 & TP-Link TL-WR841N :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09+ (r35342) on TL-WR841N & Asus WL-500W (Linux 3.2, b43)

Do you have usb working?  I have loaded 10.03 (brcm47xx target) and it boots and works ok, but can't get USB working, but haven't tried rc3 yet.

Thanks

Mike

Borromini wrote:

I have a WL-500G running 10.03.1-rc3 (brcm47xx target). Runs just fine. I am planning to upgrade my WL-500G Deluxe to it as well, but since I don't use that one anymore, I haven't gotten to that yet.

Would be nice if you make short How-To or Wiki page on it.
And describe what is working and what is not working.

My ASUS WL-500G Premium v1 is flashed with DD-Wrt. But as it is 11g only, and processor is not very fast by today's levels, I am thinking to assign just one simple task for it.  So OpenWrt with minimal set of packages would be perfect for such solution.

vpritiskovic wrote:

@boboz
The 13064 is BAD dd-wrt build, you should update it at least to this or this build.
Link to information source.

DD-Wrt forums are very confusing.
It's almost impossible to understand what build you should use and why
I prefer software with Roadmap and releases attached to Milestones. smile

In particular - from link above:

The Database may recommend bad builds and you should look here for recommended builds that have proven to be stable from actual user testing.

For ASUS WL-500G Premium that database was listing build 13064  until recently. Which is about 1 year old (10/10/09)
Recommended version - as of today, 2.12.10 - Build 14896
Would give it a try. It's interesting what improvements DD-Wrt had for 1 year timeframe

To make clear: I am fine to test, and even run, Beta (Experimental) software.
But I expect at least one stable release once per year.
So, OpenWrt development and release model much more appealing, IMHO.

12 (edited by vpritiskovic 2010-12-02 21:12:28)

vplessky wrote:

I agree with you - dd-wrt forum and hw-database recommendations can be confusing at the first look.
As I posted above for broadcom based routers/ap this announcement topic from forum is the bible.

OpenWRT trunk r27772 @ SX763
OpenWRT backfire 10.03 @ DSL-G684T

vpritiskovic wrote:
vplessky wrote:

I agree with you - dd-wrt forum and hw-database recommendations can be confusing at the first look.
As I posted above for broadcom based routers/ap this announcement topic from forum is the bible.

I agree with you.
My point is that DD-Wrt should make release at least once per year.
Situation when you don't have stable release for two years is not normal.

Front page of DD-Wrt says: Latest stable release v24 SP1 (Build10020)
And according to the page you refer this build/version is not recommended. Weird...

vplessky wrote:
Borromini wrote:

My ASUS WL-500G Premium v1 is flashed with DD-Wrt. But as it is 11g only, and processor is not very fast by today's levels, I am thinking to assign just one simple task for it.  So OpenWrt with minimal set of packages would be perfect for such solution.

There's nothing that you'd need a howto for, this kind of routers can be flashed by using mtd to write the new firmware, or by tftp'ing it, or by using Asus' firmware restoration tool. Easy as that. That's abundantly documented already smile.

As for USB ports, you need to install extra drivers for that, you can get those through opkg.

OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 on Asus WL-500G :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09.1 (r40432) on Asus WL-500G Deluxe / Netgear WNDR3700 v1 / TP-Link TL-WR1043ND :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09 on WNDR3700 v2 & TP-Link TL-WR841N :: Attitude Adjustment 12.09+ (r35342) on TL-WR841N & Asus WL-500W (Linux 3.2, b43)

Borromini wrote:
vplessky wrote:
Borromini wrote:

There's nothing that you'd need a howto for, this kind of routers can be flashed by using mtd to write the new firmware, or by tftp'ing it, or by using Asus' firmware restoration tool. Easy as that. That's abundantly documented already smile.

As for USB ports, you need to install extra drivers for that, you can get those through opkg.

I now have OpenWrt 10.03.1-RC4 on TP-Link WR1043ND and WR841ND.
It seems for different USB usage scenarios (file sharing via FTP, Samba, NFS) you really need fast CPU.
I have nfs, ftp, samba installed on router (via opkg).
If I start downloading large file (like 700MB ISO) from USB flash drive connected to USB port on router, CPU usage is close to 100% ( 0% idle).  So ASUS WL-500G is somewhat aged for such tasks.
Probably it would be a good candidate for Print Server role - but I need to buy good new printer first! smile

I have now got USB to work on the WL-500g using Backfire 47xx (2.6).  The WL-500g only has USB 1.1, and for Kamikaze Brcm 2.4 build, if I follow http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/usbstoragehowto and install kmod-usb-ohci, then this works - I don't install kmod-usb2 as USB is 1.1, and this works fine, but this procedure does not work for Backfire 47xx (2.6).  For 2.6, you have to install kmod-usb2 as well as kmod-usb-ohci.  The usbstoragehowto says you need kmod-usb2 for USB 2.0,and the description of package is "Kernel support for USB2 (EHCI) controllers", but it appears you need this for USB 1.1, for 2.6 kernel, but don't understand why.

Mike