OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: running OpenWrt on a TP-Link WR841N V7.1

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

vplessky wrote:

Gargoyle requires about 2MB of flash, and WR841ND has just 450KB or so after flashing with Backfire 10.03.1
So I need to reflash it completely with Gargoyle firmware.

Use ImageBuilder (from trunk) to remove LuCI and add Gargoyle, squashfs LZMA compressed. Should be working by now.

vplessky wrote:

Have you tried X-Wrt user interface for OpenWrt?

I did. Binaries downloaded from X-Wrt snapshot or X-Wrt Backfire 10.03

Nilfred wrote:

Use ImageBuilder (from trunk) to remove LuCI and add Gargoyle, squashfs LZMA compressed. Should be working by now.

vplessky wrote:

Have you tried X-Wrt user interface for OpenWrt?

I did. Binaries downloaded from X-Wrt snapshot or X-Wrt Backfire 10.03

So which of user interfaces - LuCI, Gargoyle, X-Wrt - you like more? And which is the best for you? :-)

As I see from your signature, you have TL-WR741ND V1.9.
TP-Link nows sells TL-WR741ND V2, which is "not tested" according to OpenWrt WR741ND Wiki

Do you know by chance, if OpenWrt would (should) work on WR741ND v2?

Buying one router is not a problem - and I am quite happy with WR841ND v5 so far.
But as OpenWrt seems to work fine on TP-Link hardware, I think to buy 3-4 units and use them in a mesh (802.11s)
Using for such purpose WR1043ND is a overkill, WR841ND or 941ND are ok, but for such rather simplified/streamlined usage probably WR741ND would be enough.
But of course OpenWrt should be supported, it's a must! :-)

I couldn't test Gargoyle the easy way, because is based on Backfire r23529, and Backfire didn't merge r23058 from trunk, which in turn is required for my router to work. Will open a dupe ticket now to get attention on this little need.
X-Wrt is .sh based, which I understand and easily modify to do "smart" things.
Anyway liked Gargoyle screenshots.

I wrote that in the Wiki based on no one say a word on V2 on the forum.
As is all-Atheros hardware should develop faster if not already supported.

I get another V1.9, if you buy one now will likely get a V1.9 too, because V2 appears on the site a few weeks ago.

EDIT: Ticket opened

(Last edited by Nilfred on 29 Oct 2010, 20:12)

I have tried TL-WR840N with this firmware using TFTP install . It works well. Openwrt now supports this router too.

(Last edited by sunoldman on 2 Nov 2010, 13:34)

Vplessky, write how your WR841N v.5 has worked with the new GUI, which you have chosen, please.

bogmarcin wrote:

Vplessky, write how your WR841N v.5 has worked with the new GUI, which you have chosen, please.

You mean Gargoyle UI?

I have concern now that Bandwidth Monitoring (which is high priority for me) would not work in Gargoyle as I expected.
See bandwidth usage thread.

Quoting Eric:

Only bandwidth between hosts on your local network and hosts outside your network (bandwidth that passes through the WAN interface) is logged. Bandwidth between two hosts that are both on your LAN is not logged.

Bandwidth monitoring in Gargoyle is implemented in a completely different manner from how it is done in LuCI, so the bug you reference does not apply to Gargoyle.

So I am thinking now if I should move from LuCI to Gargoyle or not.
May be Bandwidth Monitoring in Tomato would be a better option.
I need to check of course if WR841ND v5 is supported or would be supported in TomatoUSB.

(Last edited by vplessky on 2 Nov 2010, 14:21)

WR841ND is not supported by Tomato at all.

Something additional on the topic concerning Gargoyle bandwidth monitoring:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok … interfaces.

Anyway, every function inaccessible on Gargoyle can be reached via manual configuration (sometimes after loading additional packets).

(Last edited by bogmarcin on 2 Nov 2010, 15:07)

bogmarcin wrote:

WR841ND is not supported by Tomato at all.

Something additional on the topic concerning Gargoyle bandwidth monitoring:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok … interfaces.

Anyway, every function inaccessible on Gargoyle can be reached via manual configuration (sometimes after loading additional packets).

I understand your reference is to this part of Gargoyle FAQ:

Why do you only report bandwidth usage on the WAN interface? All the other firmwares allow me to monitor ALL the interfaces!

This was a well thought-out decision, and there are several reasons for this. Basically, bandwidth between local hosts on a LAN is almost always plentiful and cheap. Typically one person/organization owns all of the hardware and networking cable involved. Bandwidth to remote hosts, however tends to be slow and expensive. You have to pay a monthly fee for your internet connection and many ISPs are now implementing bandwidth caps. It is therefore almost always more useful to know how much bandwidth is being used on the WAN interface rather than on the local network or the combined bandwidth.

Of course, if there wasn't a trade-off involved there would be no reason not to include all interfaces. However, the bandwidth monitor takes up memory and disk space proportional to the number of different things it is monitoring. In order to be able to monitor static ips, upload qos classes and download qos classes a lot of memory is necessary and will strain the limits of some systems. The reason other interfaces are not monitored is because I think it is usually more useful to have more complete data on the WAN interface than significantly less data on all the interfaces.

1) bandwidth between local hosts on a LAN is almost always plentiful and cheap
That's correct. BUT:  I need to monitor traffic between LAN ports (and Wi-Fi interfaces) in order to test several variants of deployment scenarios.
If you have Windows PC, it's rather difficult to understand what is real transfer rate to/out of Windows PC, either via Wired or Wireless connection.
And I can't avoid using Windows PCs for some networks, as some people are sticked to their Windows XP.
(like teachers in my kid's school)
It would take some time to move them to Linux, and this would not happen in one day

2) Bandwidth to remote hosts, however tends to be slow and expensive. You have to pay a monthly fee for your internet connection and many ISPs are now implementing bandwidth caps

I moved to Unlimited tariff with my ISP.  I have symmetric 15Mbit/sec. to Internet, and 100Mbit to provider's local network
This allows to upload on average 60GB per day via Torrent. I don't need that much for downloading.

3) bandwidth monitor takes up memory and disk space proportional to the number of different things it is monitoring.
Typical router has 32MB of RAM. And  at least 4MB of flash - if you are ready to spend at least $40 for your new router.
So in my opinion RAM or Flash is not a limitation at all.

P.S. I raised question on Gargoyle forum
  Feel free to join and comment :-)

Hi all,

I installed the latest snapshot ( i.e. http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin ) on my WR841N 7.1.

However, the wifi is not working. I can't find wlan0 with "iwconfig".
Besides,  I can login with telnet / SSH , but Luci was not installed by default. Even I installed Luci manually, the uhttpd is not working.

Can someone help ?

Thank you a lot.

I just tried Firmware Upgrade in the web GUI on my TP-Link TL-WR841N v5 but I got
Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

This is the image I tried to upgrade to  http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … actory.bin

Any hints?

@ WilsonY Luci wasn't packaged in that firmware. It's a bug of sorts. Is uhttpd installed? what does "/etc/init.d/uhttpd start" return?
Concerning the wireless, it might be that the wireless driver wasn't included, either. what does "wifi setup" return?

@ jonelf: Is the router still running stock firmware, or are you running Openwrt and trying to update to the newest version?

oneru wrote:

@ jonelf: Is the router still running stock firmware, or are you running Openwrt and trying to update to the newest version?

Still running stock firmware. 3.11.3 Build 100408 Rel.42303n

That is the correct firmware for a WR841N v5. I'd say that it's either a corrupted download, or not really a v5. Try grabbing the download again. If it still won't flash, turn the router over, look at the label, and make sure that it is indeed the hardware that you think it is. (Not to insult your intelligence, but it's an easy mistake to make.)

@ WilsonY Bleeding edge, you now know why: Trunk broken (ar71xx)
luci IS NOT installed by default.

opkg update
opkg install luci-medium

uhttpd IS NOT automatically started by default.

/etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Help yourself searching and reading more.

(Last edited by Nilfred on 24 Nov 2010, 01:02)

jonelf wrote:

Still running stock firmware. 3.xx

Download V3 instead.

oneru wrote:

That is the correct firmware for a WR841N v5. I'd say that it's either a corrupted download, or not really a v5. Try grabbing the download again. If it still won't flash, turn the router over, look at the label, and make sure that it is indeed the hardware that you think it is. (Not to insult your intelligence, but it's an easy mistake to make.)

It says 5.2 on the label and Hardware Version: WR841N v5 00000000 in the UI.

I will run a md5 check on the image tomorrow.

Thanks!

I will run a md5 check on the image tomorrow.

I just ran md5 sum on the two downloads I did yesterday and it was E2CE606DC2E7B260AE78EA2EEB341C3B for both of them. Then I downloaded the image again and for that one it was the correct 5B12F44C2174F33388419FBA8EBC5838

I am running OpenWrt right now. So far everything works great.

Talking about graphs and monitoring I installed the latest trunk (24535) on my WR841ND v5 and LuCI Trunk (v0.10+svn6643) today. I was pleasantly suprised by the fact it has graphs and so on.
Realtime Load
Realtime Connections
Realtime Traffic

Nice charts!

I installed OpenWrt 10.03.1-RC4 on WR1043ND, and added luci-apps-statistics
That package provides useful charts for interfaces, wireless (strength), and processor (via extra plugin)
Data is collected using collectd.  Periods are: 10 min, 1 hour, 1 day, etc.

BTW: you have Freifunk words on top, and colors are different from OpenWrt "standard"
Have you customized interface yourself, or used some package from repo?

(Last edited by vplessky on 14 Dec 2010, 09:28)

luci-theme-freifunk-generic

Updated to trunk 25042.

oneru wrote:

Updated to trunk 25042.

Any changes, comparing to previous versions?

The biggest change is the new LuCI interface. It's a lot easier to work with, IMHO. There are a few bug fixes for various things. In this build, I've noticed some minor issues with running in N mode. My cell phone drops off the wifi on occasion, but when running the router in G only mode, it's more stable. YMMV.

When making changes to the network settings, everything comes back up correctly, now. In the old build, you had to manually reset the WAN, IIRC.

Bridging two same routers doesen't work (bridge/WDS) with the firmware on the first page. And please anyone ho has v7.1 please paste /etc/cpuinfo I think something is completely wrong with all the builds. WN841N(D) has 400 mhz cpu, with this firmware i get only 266 (dd-wrt works correct.

Sorry, posts 76 to 75 are missing from our archive.