OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What Atheros-based router(s) would you recommend

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would appreciate your advise on selecting good model of Atheros-based router for running OpenWrt.
Preferably - 802.11n, having external detachable antenna is a plus.

I volunteered recently to install Wi-Fi network in my child's school.
I found in the school that room where they have Ethernet cable with Internet connection has enormously thick concrete walls - about 80cm!
Signal from my ASUS-WL500G (standard antenna) which I used for testing degrades significantly after that wall, and 10m after it comes almost to zero.
Notebook which I used has built-in Ralink (RT2500) adapter, with driver dated year 2004, so part of weakness can be this adapter itself.

Ok, I would install antenna with extra gain on central router (my guess is Linksys WRT-160NL so far) which would be connected to wired Ethernet.

There are some sticks which have 4dBi antenna.
I just bought TP-Link TL-WN722N (150Mbit, 11n) Wireless USB stick with External 4dBi antenna
http://www.tp-link.com/products/product … =TL-WN722N

Test at home (via not very thick 2 concrete walls, from hall to kitchen) confirmed that wireless signal significantly improved, if I compare this USB stick to built-in Ralink RT2500.

Than I installed on ASUS WL-500G (54Mbit 11g) external antenna - TP-Link TL-ANT2406A 6dBi
http://www.tp-link.com/products/product … L-ANT2406A
Built-in Ralink adapter on notebook is now capable to work from kitchen at 48Mbps-54Mbps (via 2 concrete walls).
And of course connection via TL-WN722N just flies.
So far, client-side solution seems to work fine.
Now I plan to re-test and see if it works in the school.

In addition to central router I would probably need 2-3 more which should not cost a lot.
As signal still can be too weak in some remote classes, possibility to change antenna to more powerful is certainly a plus.
Those routers would work as "range extenders" (wireless client) or in WDS, and with computer(s) connected to LAN ports.

Your suggestions?..

tp-link router definitely.
the model depends on your budget.
I would recommend in the following order:
1)tl-wn1043nd
2)tl-wn941nd
3)tl-wn841nd
4)tl-wn741nd
maybe that budget will allow you to change the stock antennas with 5 or 8dBi antennas - TL-ANT2405CL or TL-ANT2408CL
be sure to check if the hw rev you buy is compatible with openwrt (or dd-wrt if you preffer)

(Last edited by maurer on 20 Sep 2010, 10:31)

Thank you, maurer!

I indeed became interested in TP-Link routers, after the purchase of Wi-Fi USB stick and 6dBi antenna TL-ANT2406A.
As it was just yesterday, I have to get used to this brand, absolutely new to me.

When I was asking question "which router to buy" about 3 years ago
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=12609
selection was just between Linksys and ASUS
I am very happy that we have better choice today, with more vendors/models available.

Which model from your list do you own?
How stable it is?
I have seem info in forums that USB doesn't not work.
Another function which I need is WDS.
I have as of today Linksys WRT-54GL and ASUS WL-500G.  For some reason WDS works on one unit (tested with 3Com routers/Access Points) and doesn't work on another.

In terms of budget, Linksys WRT160NL costs here about $110.
Most expensive of TP-Link routers, TL-WN1043ND, has lower price.

Netgear's WNDR3700 would be a great choice as well, but the antennas aren't detachable.

Bought TP-Link WR841ND v5 Router and WA801ND v1 Access Point few days ago.
They are working together very well - tested AP, Client, Repeater modes. WDS also works.
So far I am running both units with native firmware.

Successfully flashed TP-Link WR-841ND v5 with OpenWrt Backfire

# uname -a
Linux OpenWrt-WR841ND 2.6.32.16 #1 Wed Aug 25 15:20:15 PDT 2010 mips GNU/Linux

Looking forward to do more testing.

I'm really happy with the DIR-825 rev 2.  I've now got four of them running OpenWRT 10.3.

It can do simultaneous dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz, or you can use both radios in the 2.4GHz band.

Do you use them in WDS setup, or separately?
Have you tried 802.11 mesh?

The discussion might have continued from here.