OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: router + 2 usb modems

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Ive got ASUS WL-500gpv2.
I`ve installed openwrt on my asus router (by openwrt wiki).
added Huawei 3G modem E220 for using internet through modem (this manual: http://josefsson.org/openwrt/dongle.html)

it`s working good, but I live in country side, so here is poor connectivity and the worst is in evenings, when i got  some GPRS speed - about 1-5kB/s, so internet is awful. on morning and at day i can get 500-800kBit/s.

so i`ve got an idea -
connecting two E220 modems to router,
setting up two GPRS 3G connection (each of them to seperate mobile operators),
then i could use some script or just simply use ses,reset button to change between them.

so main thing i should make is switching between them, but that is just only changing route or somthng else?

any ideas is this really posibble with openwrt/linux scripting?

or maybe some ideas how to use both connections at time - some load balancing or smthn?

You can try installing  the multiwan package.  You may have to modify /lib/network/ppp.sh to make sure both pppd connections can coexist. It's a very simple modification.
I haven't tried multiwan with dual modems i myself but  you can search for multiwan or multi-wan on this forum and see if anyone else has tried two 3G modems.

1. configure an internet gateway.

2. configure the router.

And the rest is easy.

1. Set up the internet machine to SHARE AN INTERNET CONNECTION (you can use the wizard if you want, or just enable Internet Connection Sharing), which will turn the 98 into an internet gateway. that gateway needs an IP address designated, however. In essence, the 98 machine will be the internet server, so the IP of the 98 machine is the IP of the gateway. Assign an address, for example: 192.168.1.1 to the 98 machine. the "192.168" is important, and the last strings you can stretch on, but for the sake of ease lets keep it small. *TIP* the subnet mask will always be 255.255.255.0. okay that takes care of the host machine.

2. after you have an internet gateway, connect the wireless router, and console (or IP) in to the settings, usually by going into internet explorer and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, and look for a slot for Internet Gateway. Type the address assigned in step 1. thats that for the router. (there may be other settings necessary for your specific network, and if there are, be sure to configure those.)

Lastly a few housekeeping tasks. make sure the workgroup for both machines is identical. I usually use MSHOME as the workgroup. Also make sure that on the XP machine, your IP address is set to "Automatically Obtain IP address", also known as DHCP.

Aubree:
I don't think you understand what malvism wants to do. He wants to set up 2 modems on the openwrt router.
It's not a Windows issue at all

snowyowlster

Try to improve the signal first. Get a usb stand and place Huawei E220 near the window.

http://www.belkin.com/images/product/F5D8055/STD1_F5D8055.jpg

malvism wrote:

so i`ve got an idea -
connecting two E220 modems to router,
setting up two GPRS 3G connection (each of them to seperate mobile operators),
then i could use some script or just simply use ses,reset button to change between them.

You may want to consider the following scenario:

1. Get yourself an inexpensive Seagate DockStar.
2. Flash it with an self-built OpenWRT firmware with a MultiWAN package.
3. Connect your Huawei E220 USB modem dongles to the available USB2 ports and configure them accordingly.
4. Configure the DockStar as a bridge, and connect its RJ45 port to the WAN port of your Asus WL-500GP v2 router.

The discussion might have continued from here.