OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 exploration

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I upgraded to 10.03.1-rc1 today and had the same problem SDNick484 had, losing my wired connections. I updated /etc/config/network to vlan1 as mentioned by aport and the wired connections came back. Thanks!

After upgrading to 10.03.1-rc1 I found the switch LED not longer configurable anymore. There is already a ticked (including patch) at: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7713

(Last edited by sbued on 14 Aug 2010, 10:53)

hi

what performance are you guys getting with

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/banner 
  _______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 Backfire (10.03, r22684) --------------------------
  * 1/3 shot Kahlua    In a shot glass, layer Kahlua 
  * 1/3 shot Bailey's  on the bottom, then Bailey's, 
  * 1/3 shot Vodka     then Vodka.
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~#

or later...

I am more interested in

LAN<-> LAN;
LAN<->Wireless 2.4 "ng"
LAN<->Wirelsss 5G "na"

G

So... what kind of cables are you guys using for serial access?

I have one of these: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc … cts_id=718
which has worked fine on all my other boards, but on the WNDR I can receive but not transmit.

I also have a belkin USB-Serial adapter and connected a female DB9 to pins 2, 3, and 5 as explained in the wiki, but I just get garbage in.

I have a Nokia CA-42 on the way because it's been verified to work, but it's a bit frustrating to have two USB-serial boards and have neither work on this board. What's the deal?

edit: Actually I think I'm all right now. Turns out two of my sparkfun breakout boards were FUBAR. I tried a third and I was able to transmit. Nice.

(Last edited by aport on 30 Aug 2010, 20:32)

Just a quick few questions from a complete newbie at this. I just compiled an image from trunk, and everything seems to be working great (though lUCi is missing from trunk?)

1. How do I get the wireless LEDs to blink on activity? I assume its something I need to add to swconfig in network?
2. Which command shows current wireless txpower?
3. What is the proper format for port range forwaring in UCI? Is somethink like "option 'src_dport' '20-21' " valid?

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie!

antsh wrote:

Just a quick few questions from a complete newbie at this. I just compiled an image from trunk, and everything seems to be working great (though lUCi is missing from trunk?)

1. How do I get the wireless LEDs to blink on activity? I assume its something I need to add to swconfig in network?
2. Which command shows current wireless txpower?
3. What is the proper format for port range forwaring in UCI? Is somethink like "option 'src_dport' '20-21' " valid?

Thank you in advance for helping a newbie!

1. Add this to your /etc/config/system:

config 'led' 'wan_led'
    option 'sysfs' 'wndr3700:green:wan'
    option 'name' 'WAN LED (green)'
    option 'default' '0'

config 'led' 'wan_led_2ghz'
    option 'sysfs'    'ath9k-phy0::radio'
    option 'name'    '2.4 GHZ WLAN LED'
    option 'dev'    'wlan0'
    option 'trigger'    'netdev'
    option 'mode'    'link tx rx'

config 'led' 'wan_led_5ghz'
    option 'sysfs'    'ath9k-phy1::radio'
    option 'name'    '5 GHZ WLAN LED'
    option 'dev'    'wlan1'
    option 'trigger'    'netdev'
    option 'mode'    'link tx rx'

2. iwconfig wlan(0/1) should display the configured max transmit power.

3. I'll let someone else take this.

Thanks essdz, that answers all my questions. For anybody that is starting out like me and stumbles upon my questions, the syntax I used for port range forwarding is indeed valid.

Hi!

I will most probably purchase a WNDR 3700 next week.

Is there anything I should know before that?

Is the latest OpenWRT release OK for this hardware?
Or maybe the current RC?

Are there different hardware versions? (I will buy it in Austria)

The wiki page* says 5GHz is not yet fully working?

* - http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

xerces8 wrote:

The wiki page* says 5GHz is not yet fully working?

* - http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

I don't know if somebody broke something in Backfire, which I suppose is possible, but 5 GHz has been working perfectly for me for the last four months with a pre-Backfire (r20254) build.

The "not fully working" refers to regdomain issues. For some the channels are so restricted that not a single one can be used for AP mode. One has to compile a custom image with CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD in order to be able to override that.

Due to legal reasons the official release images do not allow that, therfore the release note.

Will that change in version 10.03.01 ?

No.

Any estimate/plan/idea when it will?

Hey jow, great to see developers reading these threads and responding. I have a quick question. I have been going back and forth between the lastest trunk release of OpenWRT and Netgear's stock firmware for some quick comparisons. I have to say, OpenWRT has come a far way on this router, but the 2.4GHz range still seems to be a bit better with the stock firmware.

I know that displayed signal quality doesn't necessarily mean anything, but this is not the case here. At the edge of OpenWRT's usable range (where it's struggling to push ~500Kb/s-1Mb iperf), the Netgear firmware with the same client, in the same area manages to get around 4-5Mb/s. My settigns are as follows:

2.4Ghz radio, HT20, Channel 1 on both OpenWRT and the Netgear firmware.

Both firmwares are reporting 20dBm txpower at these settings. My client is a laptop with an R52N. Similar results can be obtained with other less reliable clients (such as mobile phones).

Do you guys have any idea what the discrepancy might be due to? I understand that Netgear uses proprietary binary drivers, that might also include code for antenna selection that might not be completely understood yet?

All in all, great work with OpenWRT, ath9k, and this router in general. I am very thankful, as I'm sure the rest of the community is. I was just wondering if you might have any insight on this. Thank you.

The ath9k driver still has optimization potential. Right now the focus is still on stability, improvements on rate selection and speed will follow once the driver is solid.

Thanks for the quick response jow. ath9k has definitely come a long way. Keep up the great work.

(Last edited by antsh on 25 Sep 2010, 11:30)

I have great idea...

really?

hello!

i'd like to flash the original netgear firmware (from dd-wrt) and i have a problem.
i have flashed this firmware version (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244) to my wndr3700 with tftp. this worked fine i think because after flashing the router wants me to type in user and password. (accessing over www.routerlogin.net)
now my problem: user "admin" and password "password" is not working. same with "admin" and "1234" (1234 was the pwd on older devices.)
i have tried several hard resets, but no success.
anyone knows what to do? thanks!

got it to work:
image file from the resource cd and a long enough reset (till the power led is blinking orange) after the flash with the TFTP method.
Solved! smile

(Last edited by Anubilu on 25 Sep 2010, 22:51)

Just out of curiosity, since there is still problems with the wireless driver, has anyone gone through the source from the stock firmware and look at the driver they included in that from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649

kodiak wrote:

Just out of curiosity, since there is still problems with the wireless driver, has anyone gone through the source from the stock firmware and look at the driver they included in that from http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649

Unfortunately, at least as of the last time I looked (months ago), the stock wifi driver is closed-source and is provided only in binary form.

So I have been experimenting with the latest trunk releases and comparing them to the stock Netgear firmware. Specifically I've been looking at wireless performance, because Netgear doesn't hold a candle to OpenWRT in any other respect.

Ath9k sure has come a long way since I first tested OpenWRT at first with this router. In strong signal areas, it just about matches, and in some cases beats the wireless throughput of the stock Netgear firmware. The only remaining issue I notice is range. It seems as both radios show a ~5-6db decrease in signal strength at every distance, with all my different clients. I use Channel 1 HT20 for the 2.4GHz and Channel 153 HT40- on the 5GHz radio just for reference. This is my setup with the stock firmware as well.

The reduced range seems strange to me. The stock Netgear firmware reports the 2.4 radio at 20dbm and the 5 radio at 18dbm. Maybe the Netgear firmware has an offset that it's not reporting? Either way, I was just wondering if anyone else is seeing similar behavior, and if so, hopefully call it to the developers attention to see if they might have any other tricks up their sleeves to bring the range up to stock firmware levels.

**Edit**
After looking at the fcc documentation https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplic … id=1150511 it seems as though there really is a 5-6 dbm offset between what Netgear reports, and the actual output. Again, Netgear reports 20 and 18 dbm respectively for 2.4GHz and high channels of 5GHz, but the documents show a max output of 26 and ~23 dbm in those channels respectively. Hopefully that is something meaningful?

Thanks as always.

(Last edited by antsh on 29 Sep 2010, 06:10)

*** Bump ***
Any idea please ?

Hello,

As a new owner of a wndr3700 router (to replace my old WRT54GS), I'm also new to this forum so please be indulgent if I post in the wrong place or my question is badly asked (english is not my native language).

I've put backfire 10.03.1 for wndr3700 release in my router (http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-wndr3700-jffs2-factory.img ) and all is ok except one of my devices, a belkin iCam200g, can't connect wirelessly with the 2.4GHz link, using WPA2 encryption (well, is doesn't work with other encryptions scheme either...). However, the connection works perfectly with the netgear stock firmware.

In the system log, I get a bunch of messages like this :
Deauthenticated due to local deauth request
I found that there was an opened ticket #7413 (https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7413) for a similar related problem, but I can't figure why my cam is the only device which has this (smartphone, game console and other devices connect without any problem).

Note that I also tried with the last (beta) dd-wrt release and got the same behaviour so I suppose it is 2.6 branch wireless driver related. In the auto-refresh status page, I can see the cam is constantly appearing/disappearing in the connected devices list and the displayed link rate is 104MB or 154MB (????), which is really strange because the cam is supposed to only support IEEE802.11b/g, so a maximum 54MB rate.

Would you have some idea about this ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

(Last edited by fazer666 on 25 Oct 2010, 11:17)

I am running Backfire 10.03.1 (build 20728) on my WNDR3700 for quite a while now...

What I noticed is, that establishing a wifi connection takes much longer as with my OpenWRT-device before (Linksys). Obtaining an IP address by DHCP takes also longer. The wifi connection (2.4 GHz) also seems to be a little unstable. (Connection cannot be used anymore after a while like it is described here: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7363 ) I am experiencing those problems on a Netbook (HP mini 5102, broadcom wifi), a Laptop (Lenovo T61p with Intel AGN), another Laptop (FSC Amilo running Windows, Intel BG) and an Internet Tablet (Nokia N800).

Can anyone confirm this problem? Does anyone know more about it?

How can I find out more details in order to provide them to the developers?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!

Hi!

Is anyone using netatalk/afpd/avahi on router with mac?I'm trying to setup,but i'm stuck now.Searched for a howto,but nothing openwrt related.I found some for ubuntu,tried to use them,but still no success.My mac can see the afp service,avahi seems to work too.When i'm trying to connect with user guest,a window pops up to choose the share i want to mount(shares are defined in AppleVolumes.default).I choose one,and i get an error "connection failed there was an error connecting to the server".When i try with registered user,the "choose volume" window doesn't pop up,just the same error.The user is existing in router side.
If anyone has a working config,it would be a great help for me.
thanks in advance.
edit: Jake1981,you seem to be my man,i read back in the topic and noticed that you are using netatalk.Please help me out smile
thans

(Last edited by kj0 on 14 Oct 2010, 21:58)