OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear WNDR3700 external antenna mod?

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

Has anyone any idea how to apply an external antenna to this router,or boost up tx power just a little bit?As I read a lot of forums,I'm not the only one who isn't pleased with the router's wireless coverage/range.It has some connectors on PCB,that is similar to U.FL.I'm ready to solder,if I must,but it would be good to know where to connect wires.
I can't change tx power above 20dBm,even if I set regulatory domain to CA/US by recompiling firmware.Is it a general ath9k problem,or just related to this hardware?
Any idea would be helpful,I'm slowly going crazy about this f..ing internal antenna thing....It would be a perfect hardware otherwise.

I'd also be interested in this, I noticed those too. Not even sure what they're connected to really. There are two (if I remember correctly) and there are more internal antennas than that. I hope that I have the pigtails for this, because I'm ready to ream some holes to put RP-TNC connectors on this puppy.

There are four of these connectors,I think 2 for each chip and 4-4 internal antennas.In openwrt WNDR3700 wiki there's a picture of the device,I'm now testing the following : soldered a pigtail to the connector closest to usb port,connected an 8 dBi TP-Link ant to the pigtail,applied a patch to mac80211,with that I can control antenna configuration through /proc.Signal is increased a bit,but it's still not what I expected.
Here is the link to the ticket,where I found the patch(999-ath9k-wndr3700-antennas.patch):
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6533
The other patch seems to be applied already.
Ticket is already open,so there's hope the someone who is smarter than me - It's not hard smile - will solve this.
With echoing different values to antctl2g,signal strength is changing,I'm trying to find the best config.Until now that's all I've found out,no better solution.
I'm sure the best solution would be one or more external antenna,we should find out where to connect these.

(Last edited by kj0 on 28 Sep 2010, 07:02)

The discussion might have continued from here.