OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: CAN-bus / DeviceNet on WRT54G??

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anyone try adding CAN/DeviceNet support to their router?  My goal is to grab data from my boat's NMEA-2000 network bus.

(Last edited by muttnik on 24 Aug 2010, 17:41)

How do you propose to do this? One way would be to use a rs232 to can bus gateway and connect via a max3232 to the wrt serial port. Failing that, use a router with USB (tplink wr1043) and use a USB to can gateway.

Kartman wrote:

How do you propose to do this? One way would be to use a rs232 to can bus gateway and connect via a max3232 to the wrt serial port. Failing that, use a router with USB (tplink wr1043) and use a USB to can gateway.

My current plan is the CAN-RS232 via max3232 to wrt like you mentioned above.  I was hoping someone had put this together already and had an inexpensive hardware list I could draw upon.  Most devicenet to USB/RS232 gateways are over $300. 

I may look into using an el cheapo (read under-$30) USB to CAN vehicle diagnostics connector.  After all the NMEA2000 network is based on the SAE J1939 bus standard that is used in most newer cars.

The discussion might have continued from here.