OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Medion MD86097 wireless hub hacking.

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I recently purchased a Medion MD86097 wireless hub from Aldi UK. These went for 40UKP.

It has an ethernet port, wireless N/B/G, 4 USB ports and an audio output. There is a manual on www.medion.co.uk . No sign of GPL sources so a query has been sent to them.

It is possible to telnet into the device (using admin instead of root as the username) without any hacking at all and from that some info can be gathered, though the busybox is lacking any usable file transfer tools, no normal USB drivers at all so you can't just copy files to a memory stick.

It runs linux kernel 2.6.21. CPU is described as "Ralink SoC". RAM is 32MB, Flash is 4MB. Looks like it has a serial console too but nothing connected to the outside.

There is what looks like a proprietary webserver. Firmware upgrades go through that. The actual main network USB functionality of the device looks like it comes through a proprietary protocol. The kernel contains various things called "netusb" but Google search comes up empty.

I managed to get binaries across to the device using an mipsel toolchain. This allowed me to dump the contents of the internal flash.

Bootloader looks like it is U-BOOT.

There is a combined kernel+ramdisk image.

At this point I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. Is there some way to probe what U-BOOT can do (e.g. tftp)? Is there some way to extract the ramdisk from the combined image?

I think this little device has a lot of potential if it could be reflashed with something more standard.

Steve.

Well they've now uploaded GPL sources to the support section of the website. These also include a new firmware image. Not dared to flash it yet though.

Well mine was working great but started to be a bit flaky, so crossed my fingers, downloaded update file from medion, extracted files and then attempted to update firmware. After 30 secs page unavailable appeared on my screen and suddenly little or no connectivity on the ethernet side. Unpluged power after 2 mins plugged back in, tried reset, tried to access it via 192.168.2.1 page unavailable. Its Bricked, so I would not recommend updating firmware. Telephoned Medion, they said they would get one of the technicians to ring me, still waiting. GOOD PIECE OF KIT WHEN IT WAS WORKING OK.

The discussion might have continued from here.