Topic: Adding Seagate Dockstar to Kirkwood
There is an increasing focus on using OpenWRT on the Seagate Dockstar.
Ecc and Mazilo provided a HOWTO describing installation but the desire is to make Dockstar builds simpler, ie out of the box.
I volunteered :-( but have some questions as the gory details are not described anywhere that I can find other than in the plethora of .mk files involved in buildroot or gleaning hints from others solutions in target/linux.
My approach is to make this a template to simplify adding the other popular kirkwood based systems such as Guruplug, Pogoplug, etc.
All this takes place in target/linux/kirkwood except adding dockstar-setup.c
0. replace Default with Sheevaplug to emphasize that there is no Default, only specific targets/profiles
1. Add profile directory, add profile-Dockstar
2. Add bases-files/etc/config/system.Dockstar this is to set the led functionality, e.g blink on eth0 traffic
3. Add CONFIG_MACH_DOCKSTAR=y
4. Add arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/dockstar-setup.c, clone of sheevaplug-setup.c with ecc's patches. Add to Makefile
5. Modify image/Makefile to include $(PROFILE) in the image output names
6. Add Image/Prepare to cp system.Dockstar to system in $(TARGET_DIR)/etc.....
7. Add config directory with config-sheevaplug and config-dockstar with their specific KConfig settings
1. For #7 I plan to go back to the original mods from 2009 to get the base KConfig, then set config-sheevaplug accordingly. This should provide a base kirkwood for other boards to work with
2. For #4 how do I update the kernel/arch ? It is a package of course. Or do I fake it through the patches directory in target/.../kirkwood
3. In image/Makefile, Image/Build/squashfs doesn't get called even though I have squashfs set in menuconfig. Squashfs is built instead using image.mk's Image/mkfs/squashfs. How can I change this so that I can add PROFILE to the output name?
4. dumpinfo in TOPDIR/include/target.mk is a nice looking Make target to help during work such as this. How do I use this?
Any guidance is appreciated.