OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: support for DLINK DIR-615 Hw:D1

The content of this topic has been archived between 24 Feb 2015 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi yeow,

I opened my dir-615 to verify pin header.
I just have at hand a receive only adapter so I could only confirm the GND and TX pins, however, measuring voltage of two other let me assume VCC and RX also.

Here is the pin arrangement:
JP1
1  TX
2  GND
3  VCC (3,3V)
x  unconnected
5  RX

This assume that pin1 is on the side of JP1 label
the serial settings are 57600,N,8,1

Pascal

How did you guys open the DIR-615 D1?

There are no screws under the rubber pads.

Thanks.

Hi,
How do you flash dir-300b1 with the .img file?
I tried to flash first time with dd-wrt v24SP2, then add trx header to openwrt-dir300b1-squashfs.img and went through adm interface. It says flash successful (so my trx header is OK) but then after reboot the on led keeps blinking in orange and the box i bricked. Of course, reflashing through "emergency room" works.
Is there any way to flash it with the .img, without JTAG?

Hi,
but is this model use RT2880 or rt305x ?

I tried to upload the image that olecam provided and it said:
"Failed to upload image"

You may want to check this ready to upload via web interface (at least through "emergency room") images:
OpenWRT based: http://files.abram.org.ua/openwrt-dir30 … bflash.bin - it is with x-wrt preinstalled
WiveNG-rtnl: http://slil.ru/29294434
At least on dir-300b1(same hardware as dir-615d1?) they flash and boot OK.
To produce compatible image, get from dlink ftp the appropriate SDK and look for v2image binary only tool to add the headers needed.
If I have more time, I'll reverse the tool and build it from scratch.

Hi,
yes is on the first link, uncompressing the file and I found a v2image under tools/buildimg. But there is a couple of parameters that I do not know what to put there:
Usage: v2image {OPTIONS}
   -d {device name}        : device name that the image will write to.
   -s {signature}          : signature string to put in image header.

Just check what's written in the beginning of stock image.
Maybe some experiments won't hurt:)

I did a check with a hexeditor. On the end of the firmware i found: MVL-5181-8361-0000000-01

Then maybe you should use another tool, not v2image, which puts header in the beginning. Give a closer look on SDK and what tool is executed after the image is built.

I was able to build firmware for DIR-615 D3 (should be the same as D1 and D2) from trunk.
Everything works fine except WiFi, I bet there are no RT2860 drivers yet.

1. Get v2image (see RealEnder's post), place it somewhere in your PATH.
2. $ svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
3. $ cd trunk
4. $ make menuconfig
5. Target System - Ralink RT288x/RT305x
6. Subtarget - RT305x based boards
7. Select packages of your choice and exit saving changes.
8. $ make
9. $ cd bin/ramips/
10. $ v2image -s "wrgn22_dlwbr_dir615" -d "/dev/mtdblock/2" -i "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" -o "openwrt.dir615d.bin"
11. Flash the new firmware (openwrt.dir615d.bin) using web interface or Emergency Room.

Before you flash the firmware, make sure it is not bigger than 3.8 MiB.

(Last edited by omgwtfbbq on 26 Jul 2010, 03:34)

Great job!
I have a DIR-600 B1. Since it's known to be a clone of DIR-300 B1, I guess I can have some hope for the compatibility. smile

So many affordable Ralink routers around these days.

(Last edited by test011 on 31 Jul 2010, 10:06)

Procedure is the same for DIR-600 B1 except last two steps.
10. $ v2image -s "wrgn23_dlwbr_dir600b" -d "/dev/mtdblock/2" -i "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" -o "openwrt.dir600b.bin"
11. Flash the new firmware (openwrt.dir600b.bin) using web interface or Emergency Room.

I can't test it because I don't have DIR-600 B1, but it should work fine.

I've been doing some research about rt2860v2_ap drivers and it seems there is no support for newer kernel versions.
The only kernel version I've been able to compile them for was [s]2.6.23.17[/s] 2.6.21 and even it was pain in the... you-know-where...
If somebody made [s]2.6.23.17[/s] 2.6.21 patches for ramips rt305x, we would have 100% working OpenWRT firmware for DIR-300B1, DIR-600B1, DIR-615B and DIR-615D.

(Last edited by omgwtfbbq on 10 Aug 2010, 21:53)

Hi, like cheche I am also using ddwrt right now on my two DIR615s, but one is my "experimental" router.
My goal is to have both wireless and IPv6 (using aiccu&radvd) on the second router, and because of the wireless drivers I'm kind of stuck with ddwrt...
Right now I am modifying brainslayers ddwrt builds to get IPv6, but I just can't seem to get a image capable of booting [I just enter infinite reboot loop] sad

So my question is: How is your initial openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin in step 10 composed?

The SDK creates the input file for v2image out of a stripped/compressed/header-added kernel image and the rootsquashfs, but for me that does not work with custom ddwrt kernel and modified ddwrt rootfs (I unpacked the one cheche linked and added IPv6 modules and removed some daemons I do not need to get below 3.8Mb).

I created a build script based on the SDK build scripts, but I think the OpenWRT tools are way better (and most important: working) big_smile
But if you wan't to see: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77040

Maybe I will try to focus on OpenWRT, as I don't need a nice GUI for the second router (only primary one has that requirement as it has to be used by some of my flatmates as well), but I'm afraid I'm not a big help in porting old kernel drivers...

Cheers,
Sebastian

The image is built automatically.
trunk/target/linux/ramips/image/Makefile seems to be what you are looking for.

I've been testing new builds of DD-WRT since I bought DIR-615D3 and I've been pretty happy with it until I connected my laptop over WiFi.
I had to revert back to original firmware because of totally unstable and slow TCP connection to the Internet (UDP was okay I think).
And also lack of IPv6 support...

I managed to get WiFi working by forcing compat-wireless use rt3022 drivers.

As long as no encryption is used, the WiFi works perfectly.
But if it is, router hangs up and not even restarting it helps, only flashing new firmware through Emergency Room.
Maybe if someone with serial console access could say what's going on (I don't want to loose my 2-year warrranty)...

+unprotected WiFi works
-WPA PSK(2), WEP (other methods not tested but expect the same result) will hang up the router and only flashing new firmare will help
-max 54mbps - that's actually driver problem, see http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800pci

Here's the firmware:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c692cuut0uc0dlv

omgwtfbbq wrote:

I managed to get WiFi working by forcing compat-wireless use rt3022 drivers.

As long as no encryption is used, the WiFi works perfectly.
But if it is, router hangs up and not even restarting it helps, only flashing new firmware through Emergency Room.
Maybe if someone with serial console access could say what's going on (I don't want to loose my 2-year warrranty)...

+unprotected WiFi works
-WPA PSK(2), WEP (other methods not tested but expect the same result) will hang up the router and only flashing new firmare will help
-max 54mbps - that's actually driver problem, see http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rt2800pci

Here's the firmware:
http://www.mediafire.com/?c692cuut0uc0dlv

Whoa, AP mode is working for rt305x devices?

omgwtfbbq wrote:

I've been doing some research about rt2860v2_ap drivers and it seems there is no support for newer kernel versions.
The only kernel version I've been able to compile them for was [s]2.6.23.17[/s] 2.6.21 and even it was pain in the... you-know-where...
If somebody made [s]2.6.23.17[/s] 2.6.21 patches for ramips rt305x, we would have 100% working OpenWRT firmware for DIR-300B1, DIR-600B1, DIR-615B and DIR-615D.

The fonosfera project from Fon (blogic) has openwrt for the RT3052 using 2.6.21.

The problem I found with using this target in say, vanilla backfire or trunk, is that you need to modify a lot of the Makefiles for iptables/conntrack since the modules are in different locations or have different names in 2.6.21 compared to 2.6.32.

I had a lot of difficulty compiling rt2860v2_ap driver on anything higher than 2.6.21 as well. It would be great to see AP support in compat-wireless for those devices so we could use a newer kernel.

(Last edited by aport on 23 Aug 2010, 22:53)

Compat-wireless + hostapd = working AP mode.
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/ind … mode_Howto

How to make DIR-615D firmware with AP support (limited, see my previous post):
1. Get v2image (see RealEnder's post), place it somewhere in your PATH.
2. $ svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
3. $ cd trunk
4. $ ./scripts/feeds update -a
5. $ ./scripts/feeds install -a
6. $ make menuconfig
7. Target System - Ralink RT288x/RT305x
8. Subtarget - RT305x based boards
9. Select Kernel modules - Wireless drivers - kmod-rt2800-pci
10. Network - hostapd[-mini]
11. Exit saving changes.
[s]12. $ make package/mac80211-prepare[/s]
[s]13. Open ./build_dir/linux-ramips_rt305x/compat-wireless-2010-07-29/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/rt2800.h in yout favourite text editor, find '#define RF3022' (line 57) and change its value from '0x0008' to '0x000c'. Save the file.[/s]
14. $ make
15. $ cd bin/ramips/
16. $ v2image -s "wrgn22_dlwbr_dir615" -d "/dev/mtdblock/2" -i "openwrt-ramips-rt305x-dir-300-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin" -o "openwrt-dir615d-3022.bin"
17. Flash the new firmware (openwrt-dir615d-3022.bin) using web interface or Emergency Room.

-----

Yep, fonosfera has the rt2860v2_ap driver and olecam made DIR-300B1 target package for it, but it doesn't seem to be working on DIR-615D.

I gave up compiling the driver some time ago...
The problem is, it calls several deprecated functions that are not present in higher versions anymore, also the code is pretty messy itself.

(Last edited by omgwtfbbq on 7 Nov 2010, 01:14)