OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT New User(s)

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Oct 2014 and 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OK, I have my WNDR3700 up and running OpenWrt, Backfire (10.03).

Blundering about the OpenWrt web site and forums is like drinking from a firehose, and I'm missing most of the water - and I'm not a networking newbie! OpenWRT, and Linux (iptables seems important here), yes.

I see http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/netgear/wndr3700 - which took a fair bit of time to wrap my head around (to distinguish between building and just downloading.)

I also see the WNDR3700 exploration thread, https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22311, which is very nice, albeit it also suffers from the same firehose problem.

Since I went to that thread like a moth to a flame, perhaps starting this thread, 'Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT New User(s)' will be similarly useful.

I downloaded http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … actory.img and flashed from the stock Netgear web page on the router, successfully. My heart only almost stopped - there's a fair bit of fear for the new OpenWRT user, just due to the mere foreignness of the environment compared to most retail interfaces. But all was just fine. Note to new readers - luci, an openwrt web interface, comes with the openwrt firmware, and includes a backup / restore facility. [Wanted to verify that was present before proceeding, to be comfortable.] You don't have to drink all the water in one gulp - you can use the web interface to get you going, and the command line interface when you get that far.

I then downloaded http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … pgrade.bin, to update to current levels. Note for readers - jffs2 is desireable as it lets files be written in place. Luci has a firmware update page that's easy to find.

Note: If you go to luci before telneting, the root password will be blank. If you set the password in Luci, telnet will be disabled (as explained in the wiki) - but ssh will work.

I've now blundered all about the luci interface, most makes intuitive sense (the parts that don't I'll get to another time). I have a lan, could have a wan if I wanted (another time), it's acting as a switch behind my isp gateway, and accesses, and is accessible by, the (home) network.

Thank you OpenWRT and all who participate here.

First problem: No wi-fi.

/etc/config/wireless has 0 length. (Of course, the interface isn't listed in luci, either.)

To the community: What should be in here? [I'm assuming it (wi-fi) doesn't come populated, or populate itself?]

I see references in the wiki and the exploration thread to country codes, which I can deal with, and various sample wireless files - what should be in this file / what do I start with, and where do I go to read more on the contents of this file? [e.g. Can't change only certain lines, that don't exist, in a 0 length file.]

First you need to install packages such as kmod-ath9k and wpad-mini and reboot.
Then, you can run "wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless".
You will now have a working wireless config file, which will be easy to modify to your needs.
Please note however that the 5 GHz radio won't work with the current official build.
jffs2 might let you have files written in place, squashfs saves a lot of space so that you can install more packages.

@zorxd - Thank you!

Your note let me zero in on the specific area(s), within the references mentioned in the post starting this thread.

The 5GHz not working turns out to be OK. My new Asus eee 1201n turns out to not have 5GHz on it's 802.11n - I was most disappointed to find that out upon receipt. I expected all 802.11n to be 5GHz (even kept my cordless phones at 2.4GHz in anticipation of not conflicting with 802.11n) - sadly, I have thus found that 802.11n is not 5GHz only. &^$%^%&^%. So, cordless phones just now got replaced to DECT, also as a result of this laptop purchase. <sigh> And, of course, being the purpose of this thread, the Netgear WNDR3700 has also been purchased, for the laptop. For the moment, this router will merely be a 802.11n wi-fi access point within my home - the extra 4-port GB switch helps too. Sadly, it's stock firmware will only set the time via the WAN link (and will not bridge LAN/WAN) - I HATE reading logs across multiple devices with different time stamps. So here I am on the OpenWRT forums! (This router was purchased with an eye towards OpenWRT anyways, I just didn't expect to be doing it this soon.)

By the time I get to needing 5GHz 802.11n, I suspect OpenWRT will be ready for me!

Thank you for the note on jffs2 vs. squashfs. I suspect I'll be OK for a good while - over time, as I explore and become familiar with OpenWRT, when memory becomes an issue, I expect I'll be able to reflash to squashfs, restore my configuration via luci, and get on with my day. I just noticed the FAQ link at the top of each forum page, and the note on squashfs vs. jffs2 within it was most helpful and enlightening - to date the difference I had detected was this ability to write in place, which seemed advantageous. The FAQ answer documents that I needn't have worried. Thus far in my blundering about openwrt.org I have yet to come across a discussion upon the differences and dis/advantages of each. Do you have a good link towards such? And / or a link discussing such a jffs2 backup to squashfs restore process?

One of the daunting things about OpenWRT, as hinted at in the post that starts this thread, is that most 'retail' routers have a configuration backup and restore facility - consisting of a single file. Which doesn't appear to be the case with OpenWRT. Thus, for the moment, the reference to a web / luci based backup / restore facility. In time, since I'm a command-line guy, I'll get there, but since I'm not there yet it is / was important to establish a backup / restore process - for when I inevitably do something deeply stupid.

It seems a little strange to download the ar71xx firmware, and then have to load the kmod-ath9k package, etc.

Poking about the reference docs (msg #1), is #100 (in https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22311), #177, and others - searching on mod-ath9k ...

Also poking about the reference docs, when looking for the complete answer to 'install packages such as" in msg #2 above, I see package references to swconfig, ntpclient, crda (debugging only, I'll pass for the moment), kmod-leds-<various>, wpa-supplicant-mini (I ssume taken care of with wpad-mini), luci-admin-core, luci-theme-openwrt, kmod-mac80211 (brought in by mod-ath9k), and kmod-cfg80211 (brought in by kmod-mac80211). I see in luci that swconfig is already installed, as is kmod-leds-gpio, luci-admin-core and luci-theme-openwrt. Also, obviously, by now, so is luci.

ntpclient is not installed - but I note that (luci) system / system has time servers defined. The time is correct, so I'll leave it be and move on for the moment.

Are the kmod-leds-<various> packages mutually exclusive? I'll eventually be doing usb, should I add kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb when I get that far?

So, summarizing this 'add wi-fi' step, having ssh'ed in:

# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … ackages.gz.
Inflating http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … ackages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/packages.

# opkg install mod-ath9k wpad-mini
Installing wpad-mini (20100309-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … ar71xx.ipk.
Installing crda (1.1.0-2) to root...
Installing kmod-mac80211 (2.6.32.10+2010-03-24-5) to root...
Installing kmod-crypto-core (2.6.32.10-1) to root...
Installing kmod-crypto-arc4 (2.6.32.10-1) to root...
Installing kmod-crypto-aes (2.6.32.10-1) to root...
Installing kmod-cfg80211 (2.6.32.10+2010-03-24-5) to root...
Installing wireless-tools (29-4) to root...
Installing iw (0.9.19-1) to root...
Configuring iw.
Configuring kmod-crypto-core.
Configuring kmod-crypto-arc4.
Configuring kmod-crypto-aes.
Configuring wireless-tools.
Configuring kmod-cfg80211.
Configuring kmod-mac80211.
Configuring crda.
Configuring wpad-mini.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package mod-ath9k.

# opkg install kmod-ath9k     <----- fixing the stupid typo ...
Installing kmod-ath9k (2.6.32.10+2010-03-24-5) to root...
Installing kmod-ath (2.6.32.10+2010-03-24-5) to root...
Configuring kmod-ath.
Configuring kmod-ath9k.

# exit (I'll let Luci do a graceful restart.)

Luci: System / Reboot / Perform reboot

And lo, and behold, Luci: Network / Wifi, shows two radios! Thank you zorxd!
***** and /etc/config/wireless is already populated.

/etc/config# cat wireless
config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  5
        option macaddr  12:34:56:78:9a:bc
        option hwmode   11ng
        option htmode   HT20
        list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
        list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40
        # REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option encryption none

config wifi-device  radio1
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  36
        option macaddr  fe:dc:ba:98:76:54
        option hwmode   11na
        option htmode   HT20
        list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
        list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40
        # REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        option disabled 1

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio1
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option encryption none

<<<<<
Just in case:
/etc/config# wifi detect
/etc/config# wifi detect >/etc/config/wireless.tmp
/etc/config# ls -l wireless.tmp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 May 28 21:31 wireless.tmp
/etc/config#

- so I deleted wireless.tmp and left wireless alone.
>>>>>

Edited /etc/config/wireless - enabled radio0, set my channel and ssid's, and added 'option country CA'.

Just for good measure, I also added luci-app-ddns, luci-app-livestats, luci-app-qos, luci-app-statistics.

Memory: 60.52 MB (11% cached, 0% buffered, 62% free)

Sadly, wi-fi isn't working for me from my laptop. Correction, not working for me completely. I suspect it is connecting, but my Win 7 laptop isn't entirely happy - probably for lack of a network setting or gateway or something. I expect this will prove to be a user or config file issue, not an openwrt / package issue - so thank you very much zorxd. Certainly my SSID pops up in the network list, and disappears when I tick off 'Hide ESSID'. So I doubt this is a hardware or openwrt / package problem.

I do notice that I have to keep 'route add default gw 1.2.3.4', so I have an adapter configuration issue here. (Confusion / conflict between wan/lan settings.) And, since the switch is on my local lan, and it's handing out local lan addresses on radio0 (passing dhcp through, as it's turned off in openwrt), I have a confused network. Hopefully I'll sort out the adapter settings issue, and get lan/wlan bridged - but tomorrow.

To summarize the questions posed above:
- is there a link regarding the pros/cons dis/advantages of jffs2 vs squashfs?
- is there a link discussing a jffs2 backup to squashfs restore process?
- the time is correct. Is it appropriate to install rtpclient?
- are the kmod-leds-<various> packages mutually exclusive? kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb and kmod-ledgs-gpio will coexist?

(Last edited by bs27975 on 29 May 2010, 05:36)

bs27975 wrote:

Not sure, but it is very simple :
jffs2: Write in place, a single partition, you can use opkg upgrade to upgrade each package individually without loosing more space. You get less free space after install.
squashfs: Save space, but it is better to flash a new firmware to upgrade the system or you will loose a lot of space. Remember that you can't delete a file on the squashfs partition. It is read only. So each time you modify a file, it is being copied to the second (jffs2) partition.

I prefer squashfs.

In luci there is a backup and restore option. You can use that. This will save your config files.
Also, if you flash the squashfs firmware from LuCI, it will save your config files by default.

Hum well you probably don't need it. I think luci-app-ntpc depends on it however. It's a small package anyways.

- are the kmod-leds-<various> packages mutually exclusive? kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb and kmod-ledgs-gpio will coexist?

They are not all usefull for all routers. I only have kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb and kmod-leds-gpio installed (yes, both at the same time).

It seems a little strange to download the ar71xx firmware, and then have to load the kmod-ath9k package, etc.

I agree that the default wndr3700 image should contain kmod-ath9k ideally. I think the problem is that they create all ar71xx images from a single config file. And some ar71xx routers don't have any wireless adapter.

When I said "install packages such as", I meant the package listed and their dependencies, so you got this right.

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Not sure, but it is very simple :

Thank you for that. I think part of what I'm saying is that that simplicity is not self-evident. I guess - Pick squashfs or jffs2! - is an intimidating question for the new user, for lack of any explanation. Even an explanation that it's no big deal.

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

In luci there is a backup and restore option. You can use that. This will save your config files.
Also, if you flash the squashfs firmware from LuCI, it will save your config files by default.

Thank you for that, it's most reassuring.

Notes for users:

- It does not look like the luci backup saves your packages, so you will not only have to reinstall them, you will have to know what they were. Look at http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/backupandrestore?s[]=backup&s[]=restore - which looks more intimidating than it probably is.

- Also, under luci: Overview / User Interface, you can add files for luci to track. For example, I added the banner file and authorized key files I scp'ed in. Put in a name <tag> and hit the add button - you'll then be able to put in the actual filename.

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Hum well you probably don't need it. I think luci-app-ntpc depends on it however. It's a small package anyways.

Actually, I was more concerned (ignorant) as to conflict with whatever was already present ("luci's"? rdate). rtpclient doesn't appear to be installed, yet the time is current. Strangely - I can't currently find it in the package lists, nor in the list of installed nor available software.

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

I agree that the default wndr3700 image should contain kmod-ath9k ideally. I think the problem is that they create all ar71xx images from a single config file. And some ar71xx routers don't have any wireless adapter.

Thanks for that. Good to know, and addresses the 'strangeness.'

zorxd wrote:

When I said "install packages such as", I meant the package listed and their dependencies, so you got this right.

Today, for reasons I can't fathom, wi-fi is working to my laptop. Although I've poked and prodded, in OpenWRT, only, I don't think I've really made any changes. Just happened to try from the laptop again, and it just worked. <sigh>

I looked at both /etc/config/network and /etc/config/wireless, but both seemed reasonable.

Poked about dropbear (added a banner file), added authorized keys (no effect) added the ssh client for filezilla. But don't see what I changed to make wi-fi work. Unfortunately, I don't see how to have dropbear try publickeyauth, with fallback to password.

Let alone, creating users and groups, if I make this into a network ssh / sftp access point. Yes, add to /etc/passwd & /etc/group, however figuring out the appropriate permissions isn't so obvious. (Let alone chroot'ing / jailing.) One wants the minimum possible permissions, of course, and to keep people in their own, or anonymous file areas.

Tomorrow is another day.

Question: Where is the link speed shown in OpenWRT and/or Luci? I should have Gbps on the LAN, for example, but I don't see link speeds listed anywhere.

More importantly, although wi-fi is working, it's only showing a 65Mbps connection speed, when it should be 130, as it was under native firmware. I'm 6' from the router at the moment.

I see a 'transmit power' field, which is blank. Nor is there any indication as to acceptable values.

Thoughts?

(And 'Thanks You!')

(Last edited by bs27975 on 30 May 2010, 10:06)

OK, continued reading the WNDR3700 evaluation thread, and came across the message about adding to /etc/config/wireless:

list    'ht_capab'      'HT40+'
        list    'ht_capab'      'HT40-'

And, upon running 'wifi' to restart the radios, my connect speed went from 65Mbps to 150Mbps! Cool.

I've included my /etc/config/wireless below - if something stands out as being less than perfect, please advise.

The current outstanding questions are:

Question: Where is the link speed shown in OpenWRT and/or Luci? I should have Gbps on the LAN, for example, but I don't see link speeds listed anywhere.

And, now, with option maclist and macpolicy present, only my laptop should be able to get onto the wi-fi. But it seems to have no effect. I can, for example, change the maclist address (putting a 2 in for the first digit), and I can still connect.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks.

/etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-device'            'radio0'
        option  'type'          'mac80211'
        option  'channel'       '1'
        option  'macaddr'       '12:34:56:78:90:ab'
        option  'hwmode'        '11ng'
        option  'htmode'        'HT20'
        list    'ht_capab'      'SHORT-GI-40'
        list    'ht_capab'      'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option  'country'       'CA'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option  'device'        'radio0'
        option  'network'       'lan'
        option  'mode'          'ap'
        option  'ssid'          'mywifi-2'
        option  'encryption'    'psk-mixed'
        option  'key'           'mywifipassword'
        option  'eap_type'      'TLS'
        option  'hidden'        '1'
        option  'maclist'       '3c:d4:55:ee:1a:f9'
        option  'macpolicy'     'deny'

config 'wifi-device'            'radio1'
        option  'type'          'mac80211'
        option  'channel'       '36'
        option  'macaddr'       'fe:dc:ba:98:76:54'
        option  'hwmode'        '11na'
        option  'htmode'        'HT20'
        list    'ht_capab'      'SHORT-GI-40'
        list    'ht_capab'      'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option  'disabled'      '1'
        option  'country'       'CA'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option  'device'        'radio1'
        option  'network'       'lan'
        option  'mode'          'ap'
        option  'ssid'          'mywifi-5'
        option  'encryption'    'psk-mixed'
        option  'key'           'mywifipassword'
        option  'eap_type'      'TLS'
        option  'hidden'        '1'

As for dropbear auto-connect - it's all working now, but I don't know why. I eventually thought that my keyfile was associated with my windows user id, not root. I noticed successful password-less ssh'ing right after I created my windows userid in /etc/passwd, so I assumed that was what did it. Now, with either userid, it goes right in. Can't make it ask for a password even. In any case, any thought that dropbear wouldn't do both simultaneously, has been proven wrong.

(Last edited by bs27975 on 30 May 2010, 10:19)

Have added syslog as per evaluation thread msg #331, and entered 'reboot' from ssh. When the laptop wi-fi came back, it came back at 64Mbps, not 150.

Huh? What did I do, where do I look, ...?

bs27975 wrote:

Huh? What did I do, where do I look, ...?

Gotta love irc. http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/irc for help.

Evidently, neither I nor OpenWRT did anyhing wrong, more 2.4GHz congestion is present today than last night, so channels couldn't bond (make 2 20Hz wide channels into a single 40Hz one.)

Aside from just theorizing that, IRC helped me out with the following:

'iwlist scan' failed. (In essence radio in use at the time.)

'iwlist wlan0 frequency' was interesting and useful (later).

So, I went over to copper, from wi-fi, did 'iw dev wlan del' - this allows wi-fi to be single purposed (for my scan), evidently one can't use and scan at the same time. Presumably scanning takes over the entire radio (part of the point, I suppose, if one is scanning).

IRC then suggested the following, which did not work (scan0 wasn't created):

iw phy phy0 interface add scan0 type station
ifconfig scan0 up
iw dev scan0 scan

However, the next instruction line, 'killall -9 hostapd; hostapd -ddd -P /var/run/wifi-phy0.pid  /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf', showed some interesting output, e.g. frequencies in use in my area (but not channels). It also showed a message saying couldn't use 40MHz channel as none available. (I was using channel 1 at the time.)

More usefully, 'iwlist scan' did now work, and I could see the greater congestion and presence than I have seen in the past.

Thank you IRC.

Does anyone know of a win 7 runnable utility out there wherein I could have run this scan from my laptop instead of taking down the wi-fi on the router and using it? kismet feels like it would be overkill.

Anyways ... it has (had) been my impression that one should stick to channels 1, 6, and 11, as they do not overlap. Well, that may be true, but when everyone else is doing the same, the practice, ultimately, fails.

You have to choose the channel, whatever channel, that works best for you, in your own particular area and circumstances.

Course, there's no magic wand to figure out whatever channel that might be.

Or is there?

bs27975 wrote:

Does anyone know of a win 7 runnable utility out there wherein I could have run this scan from my laptop instead of taking down the wi-fi on the router and using it? kismet feels like it would be overkill.

Foud InSSIDer at http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider. Seems very nice.

A little surprising, and disturbing, to see how many more (2.4GHz) networks my later LinkSys wi-fi USB adapter finds than my older TrendNet one. And even more disturbing how many more my 802.11n Asus laptop wi-fi adapter finds - the worlds getting even more crowded and congested than I thought!

zorxd wrote:

Please note however that the 5 GHz radio won't work with the current official build.

Remind me / refresh my memory please?

This lack of 5 GHz functionality is in the official build only?

If you compile from trunk or svn (setting CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y) [, see msg # 313 of https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22311], or grab a community supplied build, such as the ones listed in msg # 255 or 347, 5GHz is working happily?

bs27975 wrote:
zorxd wrote:

If you compile from trunk or svn (setting CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y) [, see msg # 313 of https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22311], or grab a community supplied build, such as the ones listed in msg # 255 or 347, 5GHz is working happily?

Exactly.
Well I am having connectivity issues but this is an other story. It does works well for some people.

In WIN7 you can show active AP's in cmd
netsh wlan show all

Fox1 wrote:

In WIN7 you can show active AP's in cmd
netsh wlan show all

Cool! Thank you!

And 'netsh wlan show ?' let's you figure out smaller more bite sized chunks you might like to chew on when you're looking for specifics.

bs27975 wrote:

Anyone?

bs27975 wrote:

I see a 'transmit power' field, which is blank. Nor is there any indication as to acceptable values.

Thoughts?

Best guess as to answer here, from reading so far, is:

Although the native Netgear firmware gives you 3 'choices' as to 'power', the default is full power - choosing another choice actually reduces power.

Similarly, using OpenWRT, the default behaviour is to come up full power.

And if that's what you're looking for, just leave 'transmit power' alone - default behaviour is already as good as it gets.

Which is all to say ... if you're unsatisfied with your networking experience, say, speed wise, the answer lies elsewhere, not in 'transmit power'. Or it doesn't get any better than what is being experienced. Assuming 'nomal' / 'reasonable' / 'non-unusual' circumstances.

Is this a reasonable guess?

bs27975 wrote:

And, now, with option maclist and macpolicy present, only my laptop should be able to get onto the wi-fi. But it seems to have no effect. I can, for example, change the maclist address (putting a 2 in for the first digit), and I can still connect.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts?

Does MAC filtering currently work with the openwrt downloadable firmware?

If so, is there anything wrong in the /etc/config/wireless file posted in msg. #6?

Thanks.

bs27975 wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Anyone?

Well, the LED color is different if you get Gbps.
For wireless, you can type "iw wlan0 station dump"

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Anyone?

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear in my post.

I meant the physical switch ports.

(As noted in other threads, the blinky lights mean different thinks depending upon how you have the leds set up.)

I expected ifconfig to show me 10/100/1000 Mbps, and full/half duplex. a la 'sho int' in Cisco?

Some other command than ifconfig for that?

(Last edited by bs27975 on 3 Jun 2010, 15:06)

bs27975 wrote:
zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Anyone?

Sorry, guess I wan't clear in my post.

I meant the physical switch ports.

(As noted in other threads, the blinky lights mean different thinks depending upon how you have the leds set up.)

I expected ifconfig to show me 10/100/1000 Mbps, and full/half duplex. a la 'sho int' in Cisco?

Some other command than ifconfig for that?

for the particular case of the wndr3700, there is this command :

swconfig dev rtl8366s show

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:

Where is the link speed shown in OpenWRT and/or Luci? I should have Gbps on the LAN, for example, but I don't see link speeds listed anywhere.

(Later edit - I meant the copper / hard ports here.)

for the particular case of the wndr3700, there is this command :

swconfig dev rtl8366s show

Woah - lots of output! Cool - thank you kindly.

Now you say 'particular case' here, I presume meaning 'rtl8366s', as the 'rtl8366s' will depend upon the particular hardware being used at the time. Assuming it has a switch, is a typical router, and so on and so forth.

Sans 'rtl8366s' most everything just returns a usage message - reasonably so, I think. 'swconfig dev rtl8366s help' is also interesting, for output.

'swconfig dev rtl8366s show | grep port:' seems to be exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much.

Yes you got it, this is because some other routers have a different switch. Some platforms don't even use swconfig command I think.

Seems to me I've seen references to the SSIDs on both radio0 (2.4GHz) and radio1 (5GHz) being the same. It also seems to me that this 802.11n 'thing' permits both channel bonding and radio frequency bonding, i.e. both radios, and multiple channels per radio, 'bonding' together to make a faster whole. Am I absorbing this 'stuff' correctly? e.g. Currently the SSIDs are different, 'mywifi-2' and 'mywifi-5'. Should they both just be 'mywifi'?

Thanks for any clarity. Or web link references.

zorxd wrote:
bs27975 wrote:
zorxd wrote:

Exactly.

Are you sure 5GHz is not supported with the current official build (at http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … ndr3700-*)?

I purchased a refurb. "RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N USB 2.0 ADAPTER WNDA3100", and under Win 7 it's showing a 300Mbps connection. I set it to use 5GHz only, just to see, and 300Mbps is what it says.

Am I fooling myself / imagining it?

[Strangely, under Win 7, if I disconnect and reconnect, the Win 7 utility takes 'security' to WPA-Personal/TKIP, and reconnects at 54Mbps. If I go and re-change that to WPA2-Personal/AES, it reconnects, at 300MHz. Strange.]

5GHz isn't supposed to work?

Oh my,

Don't tell me the WNDR3700 is going to die on the vine too. I installed the first few precompile firmwares and they work pretty well. Now it looks like this device's support is going to be obscure and risky for some time into the future. Isn't this pretty much the only dual-radio gigabit router out there? For me that makes it the best available device. But after I bricked my WRT600n I don't want to have to deal with skeevy image files.

napierzaza wrote:

I installed the first few precompile firmwares and they work pretty well. Now it looks like this device's support is going to be obscure and risky for some time into the future.

How do you figure?

napierzaza wrote:

I don't want to have to deal with skeevy image files.

How else would you like to get firmware down to your device?

Image file works for me, I have no reason to complain. YMMV, I guess.