Topic: WGET>Unknown host

Hi all,

I've a problem with using WGET.
When i try to download some .bin firmware from a server the console says ALWAYS 'unknown host'. It also says when i'm pinging some site (yahoo.com). What should I do to fix this problem so I can download the firmware and reflash te router??

Greetz,

Ryen

Re: WGET>Unknown host

Ryen wrote:

I've a problem with using WGET.
When i try to download some .bin firmware from a server the console says ALWAYS 'unknown host'. It also says when i'm pinging some site (yahoo.com). What should I do to fix this problem so I can download the firmware and reflash te router??

What is in your /etc/resolv.conf ? What kind of connection do you have ? Does it use DHCP ?

3 (edited by Ryen 2005-08-12 13:30:25)

If i navigate to etc using 'cd' and try to open resolv.conf then he says that the file is not found. I think that i'm doing something wrong sad But before I flashed the OpenWRT i used linksys default firmware and i disabled DHCP in those linksys firmware. So I think nothing is changed. Kind of connection, WLAN do you mean??

So, how do I have to open resolv.conf?? and please explain what you mean with 'Kind of connection'

'Kind of connection' = how you connected to Internet/Intranet, what type of link You use ?

in adition it will be nice to se result of

df -k

command, firmvare version, equipment you use (more information is needed)

Ok, i'll describe my connection:

- My pc
- WLan to WRT54G
- I connected a Zyxel modem on the WAN port (normally in the switch, but now i've internet and I'm afraid to change now my configuration because i don't know how to restore in case of a defect
-Zyxel modem is connected to Internet
-I'm in the ip-range 192.168.1.x
-I use at my connection settings Zyxel (192.168.1.254) as gateway
-The linksys ip is 192.168.1.253
- My ip is 192.168.1.1

So, that's some information about my network

df -k returns:

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used   Available Use%  Mounted on
/dev/root                 3264      1860      1404        57%  /
none                      7188        12         7176         0%  /tmp

I don't know how I can get more information. When you give me the code I can return the results...

Ryen wrote:

I don't know how I can get more information. When you give me the code I can return the results...

I think those two lines will fix your problem :

rm /etc/resolv.conf
echo 'nameserver 192.168.1.254' > /etc/resolv.conf

I suppose that your modem is able to act as a DNS server. If not, replace 192.168.1.254 by one of the DNS provided by your ISP.

7 (edited by Ryen 2005-08-12 15:15:24)

Thanks it works!
I reflashed it!!!! I'm so happy, linux is the master programm, it rules, but if you don't understand it it is quiet difficult. Thanks to all who helped me!!!!!!!

big_smile:D:D:D

Just to prove people do search first smile, I was having the exact problem, which was solved by issuing the command Vincent so greatfully provided.

Thanks

hello  can any  one   help  me  my access point  linksys54g v2  internet doesn't work   and i  want  to  upgrade set serial 
i  connect the  access point  trough lan and  i connect  to internet  with  wifi  how  i can  make access  point  acess  to  internet  through  my  computer 
note  i  put  internet cable in access  point   and  it  donesnt work
plz  help me  i  need  it urgently