OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 exploration

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

chipped87 wrote:

Has anyone got 300mbit working yet? This requires the 40MHz channel width option in wifi config.

Thanks

Yes, working for me on the 5 GHz radio. I didn't even try on the 2.4 GHz radio since I live in an apartment building.

I enabled 40MHz but according to my MacBook it am reaching only 216mbs.

I noticed I drift between 2.4 and 5. I am considering separating the SSID names but it's so much nicer having one.

Which build are you both using?

A kind developer on the ath9k list (Daniel Ma) took an interest in the multiple-VIF problem and posted a patch for it. That particular patch doesn't compile against the current wireless included in OpenWRT, but I tweaked the line numbers to get a patch that you can drop into package/mac80211/patches/999-vap-group-key.patch with OpenWRT's current compat-wireless-03-24.

I've been running it for a day and it seems to have fixed the problem with virtual interfaces for me. (If you apply this patch and are thinking about upgrading only the modules on an existing system, don't forget that you'll need to reinstall all of kmod-ath9k, kmod-mac80211 and kmod-cfg80211. If you do what I did and try to just reinstall ath9k only, you'll be greeted by a nice kernel panic...!)

On a different note:

zorxd wrote:

The log shows nothing specials... I don't have ath9k debugging compiled in (maybe I should?).
In dmesg, I see only a lot of :
nf_ct_snmp_trap: dropping packetIN= OUT=ppp0 .....
and of :
device wlan1 entered promiscuous mode
br-lan: port 3(wlan1) entering forwarding state

but I don't think it is related.

What do you get if you grep the log for hostapd messages from around that time? I'm thinking about stuff like this, for example:

Apr  2 21:48:47 openwrt hostapd: wlan1: STA 00:1e:c2:xx:xx:xx WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Apr  2 21:49:06 openwrt hostapd: wlan1: STA 00:1e:c2:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: disassociated
Apr  2 21:49:07 openwrt hostapd: wlan1: STA 00:1e:c2:xx:xx:xx IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity

As for my own wireless issue, I realized that I also upgraded my client OS at around the same time as I started having the problems, so I think it may actually be unrelated to the router. I should know more in a few days.

As for chipped87's questions about 300 Mbps: at least at 5 GHz, my recent connections are settling around 162-216 Mbps, but the driver is seemingly trying to get it running faster with limited success (build 20599):

HT    MCS   Rate    Success    Retries   XRetries        PER
  HT40      0  13.5:          1         43         24         17
  HT40      1  27.5:          7         53          6         17
  HT40      2  40.5:          7         45         11          9
  HT40      3  54.0:         30         85         20         25
  HT40      4  81.5:       3610        286         71         52
  HT40      5 108.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40      6 121.5:          0          0          0          0
  HT40      7 135.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40      7 150.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40      8  27.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40      9  54.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40     10  81.0:          0          0          0          0
  HT40     11 108.0:      19889       5209        275          0
  HT40     12 162.0:     158627      30270       4857          0
  HT40     13 216.0:      91863      99854      47052         36
  HT40     14 243.0:      52965      96724      47395         35
  HT40     15 270.0:      38721      89728      45669         22
  HT40     15 300.0:          0          0          0          0

My client is about 5m away from the router with some smallish obstructions in the way, so I'm not sure if I should be seeing full rate or not.

This is also using the default rate control code and not the new minstrel stuff that was added recently. (Has anyone tried building and/or benchmarking it yet?)

I'm using the most recent torrent from this thread.

Hi!

I saw in the post from enodiesop (2010-02-17) that "iw phy1 info" (or "iw list") lists txpower values above 20 dBm.
On my system "iw reg get" lists frequencies where more than 20dB are allowed, but "iw list" or "iw phy1 info" always displays 20dBm on them.
So I can't set more than that. What could be the problem/a solution.
And how to find out what the hardware itself is capable off. (so if 27dBm are okay for the WNDR3700 on the 5GHz interface)

By the way, the luci interface displays the txpower set on the 5GHz interface on the 2,4GHz one (when Network/Wifi is selected). On the 5GHz one no power level is displayed here in luci. I Think this is a general bug, can anybody verify this (tested with 10.03-RC3)?

Thanks

Alex

(Last edited by Halo2 on 4 Apr 2010, 17:45)

I get 5 bars with the router in the other room and a dresser in the way and other furniture. I switched to channel 153 which is the default channel they switched to in the factory firmware to get a better signal. Using that and HT40- has given me an improved signal although even before this it was usually at 4 bars and excellent signal or good at worst.

chipped87 wrote:

Which build are you both using?

r20299 here

I am using Backfire RC3 btw.

skarlson wrote:

I get 5 bars with the router in the other room and a dresser in the way and other furniture. I switched to channel 153 which is the default channel they switched to in the factory firmware to get a better signal. Using that and HT40- has given me an improved signal although even before this it was usually at 4 bars and excellent signal or good at worst.

I switched back to the stock firmware for now and im getting full signal through 3 walls using 5GHz channel 44. Transfer rates are 5 - 7MB/sec. This is on a Macbook Pro 2009. Its using a Broadcom BCM43xx, dosent tell me the exact model. This gets alot better signal than a Intel 5100 though, I have tried multiple Intel 5100 and Intel 4965 which all dont perform very well.

EDIT: Standing up the router and using a laptop or mobile to measure the strength helped me knock off a few dBm.

(Last edited by chipped87 on 6 Apr 2010, 05:14)

skarlson wrote:

I'm trying to use RC3 as well, and 5Ghz isn't working.

What does your /etc/config/wireless look like?

With:

config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option country  US
        option channel  5
        option macaddr  00:26:f2:f4:48:74
        option hwmode   11ng
        option htmode   HT20
        list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
        list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     ssid2
        option encryption none

config wifi-device  radio1
        option type     mac80211
        option country  US
        option channel  48
        option macaddr  00:26:f2:f4:48:76
        option hwmode   11na
        option htmode   HT20
        list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
        list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio1
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     ssid2
        option encryption none

I get:

root@fw2:~# wifi
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
Using interface wlan0 with hwaddr 00:26:f2:f4:48:74 and ssid 'ssid2'
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (48) not found from the channel list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
wlan1: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel
Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-1)
wlan1: Unable to setup interface.
rmdir[ctrl_interface]: No such file or directory
Failed to start hostapd for phy1
root@fw2:~#

and no 5Ghz radio (2.4 works fine).

I tried a few different channels, no luck.

(Last edited by kijiki on 6 Apr 2010, 18:29)

kijiki wrote:
skarlson wrote:

You need to compile your own with the following option : CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y. The kmod-ath9k precompiled package lack this option.

zorxd wrote:
kijiki wrote:
skarlson wrote:

You need to compile your own with the following option : CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD=y. The kmod-ath9k precompiled package lack this option.

What he said. I would goto http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/netgear/wndr3700 for directions on compiling your own image to get you started. You can goto http://www.virtualbox.org/ and download VirtualBox then goto http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download to get a linux image that you can install into VirtualBox. From there you have a linux environment in windows that only needs a few more packages installed to get a build environment up and running. One thing the wndr3700 wiki doesn't mention as a package dependency for building an image is that you need libncurses5 installed (or is it libncurses5-dev, I can't remember but its a virtual os so having both won't hurt, I actually have both installed) in addition to the other packages listed for ubuntu.

P.S.

You don't even need to touch /etc/config/wireless in ssh. Just install luci and config everything from there, the latest trunk and backfire rc3 both support switching between 5 and 2.4 (right frequency??) and also between HT20 and HT40+/-. Once I switched to the HT40- I think I had to reboot or maybe log back into luci again to get the update channels to show up in wifi setup (don't remember which). You can alternatively use a custom channel and not worry about it; I think 153 should give the best results and either HT40+ or HT40-. Then you don't need to worry about when luci populates the channel selection menu with the new channels though it will eventually.

P.P.S.

If you have a dual core or quad core processor I would recommend doing make -j2 V=99 or make -j4 V=99 instead of just make or make V=99. The V=99 gives you more output so you can see where any compile errors happen. The -j2 and -j4 will do more than one job at a time making better use of multiple processors and speeding up the compile time significantly.

P.P.P.S Lol, anyways. My config looks similar to yours except I am using wpa2 personal security and my htmode is HT40- instead of HT20.

(Last edited by skarlson on 6 Apr 2010, 20:29)

zorxd wrote:
kijiki wrote:
skarlson wrote:

Ah, I thought that had been fixed in trunk (and that it was fixed before backfire branched).  Thanks for the pointer.

I'll go build.  Is there a good reason that the default wndr3700 .config doesn't set that?

what's the current status on openwrt or any other for the wndr3700?
also is there a traffic meter? it dont work on the router. causes router to freeze.

OpenWRT is working fine on WNDR3700. Much better than the factory firmware; for instance I can do network shares and transfer large files without the router freezing up.

does the openwrt have traffic meter type thing? can i see a features page or screens for it?

I can't understand what's going on.
What's the difference between this topic and:

http://open-wrt.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22311

this one? open-wrt.ru is far more complete and with more news than this one.
Why are they split?

I'm new to OpenWRT and to Linux as well.  I'm using the image that's been generously supplied in this thread.  However I'm ready to start hitting my router with a hammer as I can't even get file sharing working!  After hours of digging through the forums and wikis there seems to be a patchwork of advice that doesn't all really agree on what to do, so perhaps someone here who knows what they're doing could simply tell me the shortest route from Point A to B...

I'm connecting a USB external HDD to to the router, it is found and appears in devices list (2x) under "mount points".  I have no idea where to mount it.  I don't know which version of Samba to install.  At one point, I thought I had everything working and was able to access \\Openwrt\tmp from my Windows 7 machine, but my HD was not mounted there, it only contained system files.  Probably should have asked for help hours (or even days ago.) Gun in mouth at this point.

(Last edited by jdonkey123 on 8 Apr 2010, 08:04)

@luminoso What are you talking about? That looks like the same site. Are you sure you're not just one the first page of this thread?

jdonkey123 wrote:

I'm new to OpenWRT and to Linux as well.  I'm using the image that's been generously supplied in this thread.  However I'm ready to start hitting my router with a hammer as I can't even get file sharing working!  After hours of digging through the forums and wikis there seems to be a patchwork of advice that doesn't all really agree on what to do, so perhaps someone here who knows what they're doing could simply tell me the shortest route from Point A to B...

I'm connecting a USB external HDD to to the router, it is found and appears in devices list (2x) under "mount points".  I have no idea where to mount it.  I don't know which version of Samba to install.  At one point, I thought I had everything working and was able to access \\Openwrt\tmp from my Windows 7 machine, but my HD was not mounted there, it only contained system files.  Probably should have asked for help hours (or even days ago.) Gun in mouth at this point.

Read this thread which worked for me:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=23957

Also, /dev/sda1 is the device to mount and if you want to just mount it without worrying where then use /mnt. What I would also say is for using luci to edit fstab I think you need to have block-mount and block-hotplug installed to actually get the drive to mount when you turn the router on or when you plug it in. I do not know if luci will even attempt to mount it the first time you add a mount point via luci with the drive already plugged in without those packages plugged in (or with for that matter, I think it required a reboot for me or unplugging and plugging back in or manually mounting via ssh, on subsequent reboots or plugins however the drive automounts with the packages I mentioned installed).

For ntfs drives if you want read/write access you need ntfs-3g installed and you cannot auto mount the drives at least as of the last time I tried. You cannot use mount at all though according to ntfs-3g documentation you can; openwrt mount doesn't seem to like it. To mount the ntfs drive do ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt via ssh; manually in otherwords. This is a start I hope; it will get you a working share though not one with user/password. I did manage to get user/password (user security mode) working but you have to edit security policy in Windows 7 for compatibility and you also need to setup a user/group with privileges on the folders you want to have accessed and I don't have time to explain that right now. I hope this is a start; let us know how it works!

@skarlson

Thanks for your help.  I've started to learn my way around a bit and finally got MiniUPnPD working!  Was able to follow your path on Samba and believe that is now set up correctly, but a problem remains... My external HD is NTFS and I can't mount it!  does this...

root@OpenWrt:/# ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/Test
modprobe: can't open 'modules.dep': No such file or directory
ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root

Can't figure out what's wrong!  As mentioned I am using the build previously supplied on this thread, but I have reset it to defaults before this.
Have kmod-fuse    2.6.32.10-1 installed...  Any suggestion?  thx.

Hi,
you might also need the libfuse package.

installed libfuse and fuseutils, but no change.  A little poking suggests my deficiency isn't actually fuse, but perhaps with busybox or certain tools of it.  The error suggest I try "modprobe fuse" so...

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# modprobe fuse
modprobe: can't open 'modules.dep': No such file or directory

but anything I try to modprobe just gives the same error.  I noticed this wiki which suggests having to enable modprobe... http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/GO7007.html  But unfortunately I haven't been able to find any config file for busybox other than the busybox httpd in LuCI.

Also, in browsing I found /etc/modules.d which seems to be full of config files (including one for fuse.)  But I don't know if this is at all related to the modules.dep that it keeps on looking for.

So still stumbline in the dark... any other lights out there?

Hello

Just joined because I plan to buy the 3700 but had a question about open-wrt on it. I want snmp and syslog support on it. Also run a webserver that will display mrtg/cricket graphs in browser.

Will Open-wrt allow that? Pardon my ignorance, I am unable to research on the Internet at length for this week, and need to make a quick decision about this.

Hope somebody can give some helpful answers.
Regards

PS: Will openwrt also allow DFS once it is certified?

(Last edited by Gobble on 10 Apr 2010, 18:55)