OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 3 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

hey... im starting this thread for anyone who wants to install and configure OpenWRT to work properly on the buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

I, like many others, have had issues with dd-wrt semi-bricking routers, though the process to fix them is just mildly annoying, actually having to do it again and again trying to get dd-wrt to work is even more annoying...

many of us believe dd-wrt is heading down a bad path and are looking for a true open-source firmware that just works with all the features we need on this router.

so, converting from factory, or dd-wrt, here we are.

problems ive noticed running open-wrt on the router in question is the wireless driver isnt installed right away, ive had to install a couple packages, i believe kmod-ath9x was the one that did it for me... also i notice there seems to be a bit of an issue with the LEDs for WLAN and security... also, i was unable to get any more user friendly UIs installed because though i want the customizability of dd-wrt, i personally wouldnt mind something that looks and feels more like a router interface than a linux OS.

Although dd-wrt currently works on my router, I'd like to try OpenWrt for samba and transmission support. But setting up OpenWrt with all those packages looks like a complicated and not well documented process for such a beginner like myself. Does anybody has and is wiling to share with us OpenWrt binary which is compiled for G300NH with pre-installed packages (for wireless, dhcp, usb, samba, ntfs, transmission, etc.)? That would be a great start...

that would be perfect... as the g300nh is capable of torrents, network storage via usb... but when you install openwrt, theres a package manager you can go to to select packages that itll automatically download and install for you when you choose to add them... so it doesnt take much to click on transmission and samba to add those features to the router, just install it, select kmod-ath9x, transmission, samba, and maybe a couple other packages and youre good to go

Although I don't own the g300nh this does looking very promising: https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/t … ?rev=19150

ar71xx: add preliminary support for the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

EDIT: I would guess that the 10.03-rc1 release would support the g300nh

(Last edited by pyther on 28 Mar 2010, 22:34)

i want to know that  install openwrt on 300nh must use linux?

im not sure if itll work with a webinstall... who knows, but you can get a liveCD of ubuntu for free that you can do this with.. then remove the CD and restart your computer and youre back to windows... im certain there are tftp programs for windows thatll work just fine

Support is excellent.  I have been using openwrt on my WZR-HP-G300NH for a while: I am running Samba, uShare, Transmission (torrent daemon) w/peer blocking all while being an actual router.  I started with Luci a couple months back but ended up dropping it in my last trunk compile: luci is really nice, but I kind of like the linux box feel and luci is missing a few options.

I highly recommend you include niceness in your compile for start-stop-daemon.  Should be under busybox options I think (don't recall exactly where).  I was having all sorts of trouble with uShare until I gave it a niceness level above everything else.  Now it works flawlessly.

I'm running 20337 at the moment and am having trouble tracking down a strange (and my only real) problem.  At first I thought it was related to port forwarding however it turned out not to be that.  Regardless the problem itself is massive lag spikes in games.  I have tried ./firewall stop, taking out redirects, adding the option -n to dnsmasq (--no-polling), disabling miniupnpd and routing all my ports manually.  Only thing I haven't tried is plugging the modem directly into my computer to play, though I'll be doing that tonight I think.  The problem itself manifests after some time playing and once it does (once I start to notice the lag spikes) I also notice that my previously open ports specified in /etc/config/firewall are now closed.  Yet I can still ping the router from wan.  Restarting the firewall doesn't fix it, I have to reboot.

Kind of wish I could tie one of the buttons on the router to start/stop ushare.  Haven't figured out how yet, but haven't looked all that hard either.  Just mentioning it here in case one of you knows where to start.

so.. how do i exchange luci for something more user friendly?

well, i have the hang of luci.. seems to work.. however, under the essentials section when i click on the network tab and select dhcp.. this message pops up.. any idea how to fix this?

/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: Unable to read UCI data: luci_ethers
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: in function '__init__'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:70: in function 'Map'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/mini/dhcp.lua:63: in function 'func'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:91: in function 'load'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:663: in function 'target'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:363: in function 'dispatch'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:129: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:128>

It is fixed in recent revisions.

i have the most current backfire installed, 1.0.03 RC1, how do i get it to work with this? what would i have to do?

for some g300nh routers, the backfire releases are the only ones thatll work. my router is one of these, i cant install a standard release, cannot install dd-wrt, can only install openwrt 1.0.03

also, cant seem to get transmission to show up on luci.. these are my only two problems

(Last edited by justin22885 on 30 Mar 2010, 04:21)

having my ip address:9091 is nice for backup, but i think im going to install the transmission remote app on all my computers so they can control it like its transmission natively installed on their computers, only stuff downloads all night :-D

I was wondering if anyone has a working binary for the wzr-hp-g300nh because i tried dd-wrt and bricked my first router, unfortunately i had to rma so the goal is to do this but get it to work . If anyone could provide a tutorial and links to the proper files that would be much appreciated.

first of all willster, you never bricked your router with a failed dd-wrt install, you could have just plugged it into a windows machine and used the TFTP method to install the factory firmware

what happened to your router happens to a lot, none are ever bricked.. using the tftp method, install this image

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … 2-tftp.bin

dd-wrt images will semi-brick your router, and previous releases of openwrt will semi-brick as well, but the one i just posted works fine on our most likely revised hardware

justin22885 wrote:

first of all willster, you never bricked your router with a failed dd-wrt install, you could have just plugged it into a windows machine and used the TFTP method to install the factory firmware

what happened to your router happens to a lot, none are ever bricked.. using the tftp method, install this image

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … 2-tftp.bin

dd-wrt images will semi-brick your router, and previous releases of openwrt will semi-brick as well, but the one i just posted works fine on our most likely revised hardware

i have install that firmware, the backfire, on my router, now i have some problems ... i can´t connect to the internet to download the others stuff that i need ...
I new at this firmware, the open-wrt, i have installed putty on my pc and all, but still haven´t been able to download the other´s stuff that i need...  i am following a post on the dd-wrt forum about that, but still i am having problems ...

another thing is that the web interface, the so called LUCI, is also having some strange problem, or i have alot of stuff on the menu or i don´t have ... possible thats normal ..

so how can i connect my router to the internet ....
this router é connect to other router ... but the last time that i add the buffalo firmware i didn´t have any problems with that LOL

you have to download the wireless drivers for your router, so youll have to connect from a wired source and install kmod-ath9k, and then a security package like hostapd for wpa/wpa2 security, then your wireless will work just fine

you HAVE to have kmod-ath9k installed for this router to function with wifi, you need to install a security package like hostapd or some of the other alternatives... and youll need to install clients for samba, upnp, qos, media sharing, and torrents seperately

for filesharing if youre using an ntfs drive youll have to install ntfs-3g to have read/write support on ntfs partitions

thanks ... but still ... i am stuck !
What i have done until now was just install the open-wrt firmware. now how will i connect my router to the internet ... do i need some code to run on putty ?

Do you have dsl or cable? If it is dsl does the modem handle the pppoe configuration? You might want to checkout the wiki.

pyther wrote:

Do you have dsl or cable? If it is dsl does the modem handle the pppoe configuration? You might want to checkout the wiki.

i have fiber optic ! i have like this »»»  fiber to the 'ont' to the 'router', and now i connect to the router that i have the openwrt.
the 1 st router, to acess to the web interface is 192.168.1.254 .

so can you help me out ... realy ... i am very noob LOL

openwrts standard gateway address to access the interface is 192.168.1.1, are you using this to connect to the web interface?

justin22885 wrote:

openwrts standard gateway address to access the interface is 192.168.1.1, are you using this to connect to the web interface?

nop i am change to use the 192.168.33.1

do you want the information on ifconfig ?

just did some reading, and from what i can tell most fios installations are pppoe... pppoe should already be active on your router, youll have to go to the administration section, network tab, interfaces > WAN... beside protocol, select PPPoE from the dropdown menu and configure PPPoE... however, id call your internet provider first and confirm this is what you have, and if so, get your information for PPPoE from them... should be able to plug the modem directly into your computer and find out too.. though im not sure how, ive never used PPPoE before

First, please try to proof read your posts as they can be confusing and aren't very clear. (If english isn't your native language, forgive me)

The fiber optics switch/router/modem thing is 192.168.1.254? Your openwrt router is 192.168.33.1? Is this correct?

did you have internet access before you changed the router to 192.168.33.1?