OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 exploration

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Rooki wrote:

Hi.

I have updated my router with this ver.: r20254 "sysupgrade" version (for routers that are already running an older version of OpenWrt)

Something is wrong with DHCP .

When I try to open DHCP, I receive this message:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: Unable to read UCI data: luci_ethers
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'error'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:338: in function '__init__'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:70: in function 'Map'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/mini/dhcp.lua:63: in function 'func'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:91: in function 'load'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:663: in function 'target'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:363: in function 'dispatch'
    /usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:129: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:128>

With old version DHCP works without any problem.

Regards ...

There is no more luci_ethers file, maybe that's why. All static leases should go in /etc/config/dhcp

essdz wrote:
whiskas wrote:

Maybe MACs cost money and Netgear tried to save some? wink

Does anyone want to buy my unused MAC? For posters to this thread, I have a very special price. :-)

Anyway, I did some more digging and confirmed my issue. Full details are here, but I just wanted to warn everyone that if you use wireless encryption, multiple virtual interfaces on the same radio WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY on the WNDR3700. This seems to be due to a lack of functionality in the ath9k driver (for all platforms it supports), so it's not a problem with the WNDR3700 or OpenWrt itself.

There is a easy hack you can use to make it work, but the trade-off is a ~90% loss in wireless performance...

I have two VIFs on the 2.4ghz radio... one WPA2mixed, and one WPA, with different SSIDs and keys...... it works perfectly for me?

Wiretap wrote:

I have two VIFs on the 2.4ghz radio... one WPA2mixed, and one WPA, with different SSIDs and keys...... it works perfectly for me?

Out of curiosity, did you try the test here? I too had it set up and I thought that it was working, but after a while, I started noticing some weird network problems as noted. To be clear, even for me with WPA2-PSK only on both VIFs, it *almost* works...but it fails in a way that is not entirely obvious if you are trying to talk to devices on the other side of the wired/wireless bridge.

Or, perhaps, using the mixed WPA versus WPA2 is a workaround. (The ath9k folks thus far have not elaborated as to what circumstances, specifically, cause the issue in the key cache management code.)

Hi.

I have updated my wndr3700 with this firmware http://wndr3700.nfshost.com/openwrt-ar7 … pgrade.bin

How can I add WOL package to this interface (LUCI) or change the LUCI with WEBIF???

TNX again.

(Last edited by Rooki on 27 Mar 2010, 18:50)

Is there a way to use USB led to what it is supposed to do? Anyway to trigger if USB port has something plugged into it? I think sysfs might hold proper information if something is detected there, so led could be on and off due to state of usb port.. Currently I have set it to always on - as I have a external 1TB disk connected to it.. But I would like to have it work in the intelligent way instead of this stupid way even though no one knows that it's only a trick smile

I built images for the whole weekend and I am pretty much finished now.. Everything seems to work and I no longer need my nslu2 as this now replaces it and my good old wrt54gs v1.0..

Here's my list of goodies:
-avahi
-block-hotplug & block-mount
-bwma
-cutter
-disktype
-freeradius2
-hd-idle
-kissdx
-various kernel modules for hfs, appletalk, dos file systems, netfilters..
-luci and various addons for it..
-miniupnd
-some sniffers
-mt-daapd
-nano
-netatalk
-netstat-nat
-qos support
-transmission with web interface
-unrar
-ushare
-wpad

I use EAP with wpa2 - accounts are handled during runtime with onboard freeradius2 server, file sharing is done with netatalk (I use mac), media is being shared with kissdx, mt-daapd and ushare.. Ofcourse there's then basic stuff on the base, like dnsmasq, dropbear and so on.

jake1981 wrote:

Is there a way to use USB led to what it is supposed to do? Anyway to trigger if USB port has something plugged into it? I think sysfs might hold proper information if something is detected there, so led could be on and off due to state of usb port.. Currently I have set it to always on - as I have a external 1TB disk connected to it.. But I would like to have it work in the intelligent way instead of this stupid way even though no one knows that it's only a trick smile

I dug around in hotplug, and after looking for ways to figure out if a certain mount script was called for a USB device or a different time...I came across the forehead-slapping-obvious directory in /etc/hotplug.d/usb. It even had a default script just waiting to be populated!

Just drop this into /etc/hotplug.d/usb/10-usb and your USB LED should be all set. It won't do anything fancy (like blinking when there is disk activity), but it will definitely turn it on for me when a USB disk is connected and turn it off when the device is removed. I imagine it would work for USB types other than disks too, but I haven't tested.

Note to self: if I have more spare time, contribute to the OpenWRT documentation project so that this is obvious for other people. :-)

#!/bin/sh

# Copyright (C) 2009 OpenWrt.org

case "$ACTION" in
    add)
        # update LEDs
        echo "255" >/sys/devices/platform/wndr3700-led-usb/leds/wndr3700:green:usb/brightness
        ;;
    remove)
        # update LEDs
        echo "0" >/sys/devices/platform/wndr3700-led-usb/leds/wndr3700:green:usb/brightness
        ;;
esac

What does "05-3g" in hotplug buttons do? I can't figure out what it's supposed to do.

napierzaza wrote:

What does "05-3g" in hotplug buttons do? I can't figure out what it's supposed to do.

If you had a 3G wireless USB stick plugged into the system, which was configured as a "3g" interface type on the primary WAN interface...it would allow you to use one of the buttons on the front of your device as a toggle to bring the 3G connection up and down. If the script were configured to use a valid $BUTTON name, that is.

While we're talking about buttons, here is another very simple script (drop into /etc/hotplug.d/button/03-toggle-wifi) that will enable the expected functionality of the "wifi" button on the front of the box. It's a pretty simple script (it assumes that the button itself is the only thing that ever changes the wifi state) but it works for me in a pinch.

STATEFILE="/var/run/wifi.disabled"

[ "$ACTION" = "released" -a "$BUTTON" = "BTN_2" ] && {
    HOTPLUG="$(cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug)"
    (echo /bin/true > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug)

[ -f $STATEFILE ] && STATE="off" || STATE="on"

case "$STATE" in
        "on")
            touch $STATEFILE
            wifi down
        ;;
        "off")
            rm $STATEFILE
            wifi up
        ;;
    esac

(echo $HOTPLUG > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug)
}
essdz wrote:

I dug around in hotplug, and after looking for ways to figure out if a certain mount script was called for a USB device or a different time...I came across the forehead-slapping-obvious directory in /etc/hotplug.d/usb. It even had a default script just waiting to be populated!

Just drop this into /etc/hotplug.d/usb/10-usb and your USB LED should be all set. It won't do anything fancy (like blinking when there is disk activity), but it will definitely turn it on for me when a USB disk is connected and turn it off when the device is removed. I imagine it would work for USB types other than disks too, but I haven't tested.

Note to self: if I have more spare time, contribute to the OpenWRT documentation project so that this is obvious for other people. :-)

#!/bin/sh

# Copyright (C) 2009 OpenWrt.org

case "$ACTION" in
    add)
        # update LEDs
        echo "255" >/sys/devices/platform/wndr3700-led-usb/leds/wndr3700:green:usb/brightness
        ;;
    remove)
        # update LEDs
        echo "0" >/sys/devices/platform/wndr3700-led-usb/leds/wndr3700:green:usb/brightness
        ;;
esac

Yes - this definetly should be added to the wiki - on the wndr3700 page..
http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/netgear/wndr3700

EDIT: Thank you.

(Last edited by jake1981 on 29 Mar 2010, 12:33)

Hi can joe public use this firmware and is it stable now thanks.

I didn't have to do anything special to flash this firmware. It also ran very stable for I think about a week. Unfortunately after a week my computer stopped being able to connect to it even though my gf was still connected. I had to restart the unit and now everything has been fine for a few days.

Other than that it's working out rather nicely! I'm really happy that I was able to get working buttons so soon as well. Very exciting, thanks guys.

(Last edited by napierzaza on 29 Mar 2010, 13:05)

That USB led script doesn't work during boot up - only if device is later connected.

What is the status of wireless? If I add a second SSID to 2.4ghz radio, does it work?
What if I have a WPA2/EAP on primary SSID, can I add WEP to secondary SSID of same radio and it will function or fail?
What about un-encrypted? Or is my only chance to add another WPA2/EAP (then there ofcourse would be no point to add new SSID, idea is that I have few devices that don't support WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 is supported though, and WEP, and un-encrypted) SSID ?

At this point, I can't get WPA/WPA2-Enterprise to work on the WNDR3700, however multiple SSIDs work just fine.
As well, VLANs also work perfectly fine as well through at least VLAN300.

To get WPA2-Enterprise to work, you need wpad instead of wpad-mini..

jake1981 wrote:

What is the status of wireless? If I add a second SSID to 2.4ghz radio, does it work?
What if I have a WPA2/EAP on primary SSID, can I add WEP to secondary SSID of same radio and it will function or fail?
What about un-encrypted? Or is my only chance to add another WPA2/EAP (then there ofcourse would be no point to add new SSID, idea is that I have few devices that don't support WPA2 Enterprise, WPA2 is supported though, and WEP, and un-encrypted) SSID ?

I believe that all of those encryption configurations will work, but only on the condition that you do not need to bridge between any of the wireless interfaces on that radio and any other interface. In other words, if you want to use multiple SSIDs on one radio, each network must have a distinct subnet from any other network on your system (including your wired network). Actually, given the issue with the ath9k driver, I'm not even entirely sure if this scenario will work properly for handling broadcast frames.

There might be some permutations of encryption combinations that actually do work without those restrictions (maybe one VIF with WPA2 and one with WEP, as a hypothetical and untested example) but I don't think anyone has checked it yet. I know that 2 VIFs running WPA2 do not work for sure.

If you don't follow this guideline, your system will "sort of" work: all of your wireless devices should still be able to get to your WAN interface okay (since it's routed), but you will probably have significant trouble trying to access devices on other parts of the bridge.

The only solutions I am aware of are to either:

1) disable hardware encryption in the ath9k module, or
2) use one and only one encrypted VIF per radio, and set the others on the same radio to no encryption

Is anyone able to load the imq module (needed by qos-scripts)?  I get this:

root@OpenWrt:~# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.32.9/imq.ko 
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/2.6.32.9/imq.ko': unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

and dmesg tells me:

imq: Unknown symbol skb_restore_cb
imq: Unknown symbol nf_unregister_queue_imq_handler
imq: Unknown symbol nf_register_queue_imq_handler
imq: Unknown symbol skb_save_cb
jake1981 wrote:

To get WPA2-Enterprise to work, you need wpad instead of wpad-mini..

I have been using hostapd with no success.
I will give wpad a shot to see how that one shakes out though, thanks for the recommendation.

Hi could anyone of the lads give me a link to the latest firmware i would very much like to try this.
thankyou.

(Last edited by phill123 on 31 Mar 2010, 09:38)

I used the torrent link supplied in this thread.

I had a few problems with the ath9k driver and my WNDR3700. After a while (sometimes hours), and without any reason (the laptop didn't move and was in the same room as my router), the client seems to disconnect as it is not pingable from the router (but it will still display that it is associated). I sometimes needed to restart wifi on the router and manually reconnect the clients. In this case switching from one radio to the other sometimes help (sometimes the client wouldn't reconnect to the same SSID).
Did anyone observed a similar problem?

thesnowman wrote:

Is anyone able to load the imq module (needed by qos-scripts)?  I get this:

imq: Unknown symbol skb_restore_cb
imq: Unknown symbol nf_unregister_queue_imq_handler
imq: Unknown symbol nf_register_queue_imq_handler
imq: Unknown symbol skb_save_cb

Into which build are you trying to install the imq module? If it's the tracker/torrent build, those were built statically, so those kernels probably don't have support for installing the imq module. If that is the case, you'll probably need to recompile the build yourself, or alternatively, try to get one of the public snapshot builds from www.openwrt.org to work. I assume that those were built with all-module support--although I think the kmod-ath9k package there still may have problems with not being built with the option to respect the user's regdomain, so that may not be a viable option either.

zorxd wrote:

I had a few problems with the ath9k driver and my WNDR3700. After a while (sometimes hours), and without any reason (the laptop didn't move and was in the same room as my router), the client seems to disconnect as it is not pingable from the router (but it will still display that it is associated). I sometimes needed to restart wifi on the router and manually reconnect the clients. In this case switching from one radio to the other sometimes help (sometimes the client wouldn't reconnect to the same SSID).

What do the logs show? What OpenWRT build and compat-wireless release?

I've recently seen some random disassociation stuff since upgrading this week to build 20599 (compat-wireless-2010-03-24), whereas an older release I was using (with compat-wireless-2010-03-03) worked rock-solid for me for weeks. However, my current symptoms are different than yours (client repeatedly disassociates and reassociates for 30 seconds), and it's not easily reproducible.

If I continue seeing problems, I may try reverting to an older mac80211 package to see if that cures it.

essdz wrote:
zorxd wrote:

What do the logs show? What OpenWRT build and compat-wireless release?

I've recently seen some random disassociation stuff since upgrading this week to build 20599 (compat-wireless-2010-03-24), whereas an older release I was using (with compat-wireless-2010-03-03) worked rock-solid for me for weeks. However, my current symptoms are different than yours (client repeatedly disassociates and reassociates for 30 seconds), and it's not easily reproducible.

If I continue seeing problems, I may try reverting to an older mac80211 package to see if that cures it.

Sorry I use r20299 with compat-wireless-2010-03-03
The log shows nothing specials... I don't have ath9k debugging compiled in (maybe I should?).
In dmesg, I see only a lot of :
nf_ct_snmp_trap: dropping packetIN= OUT=ppp0 .....
and of :
device wlan1 entered promiscuous mode
br-lan: port 3(wlan1) entering forwarding state

but I don't think it is related.

Has anyone got 300mbit working yet? This requires the 40MHz channel width option in wifi config.

Thanks