OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Whats the best openwrt Router ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
we need some openwrt devices to run openvpn in some very small offices.

In former times we used Linksys WRT54GL Routers for this but I wonder if this is technology-wise still state of the Art .

What is the best price/performance/availability Device one can buy today for OpenWrt Distributions ?

It would be nice to have as much ram as possible, a fast processor and maybe there are even device out there which have gigabit interfaces ?

Any hints ?

Thanks
  Christoph

When it comes to a Linux embedded system, I would be looking for a device that has plenty of Flash/RAM with at least a USB2 port. Since you want to do a VPN, you should look for a router that has a built-in a hardware encryption chip. AFAIK, only a handful WiFi router supported by OpenWRT has a built-in hardware encryption chip and among them is a long discontinue Netgear WGT634U and it has all the features I mentioned here.

I'm currently testing Netgear WNDR3700 (680MHz 64MB RAM/8 Flash) and Buffalo WZR-HP-300NG (400MHz 64MB RAM/32 Flash), both with gigabit switches. Both devices seem much more capable than WRT54GL family. Buffalo is somewhat cheaper, has more flash but slightly slower performance. Netgear is probably better suited for high bandwidth scenarios. I'll probably use either, depending on the situation requirements...

gulikoza wrote:

I'm currently testing Netgear WNDR3700 (680MHz 64MB RAM/8 Flash) and Buffalo WZR-HP-300NG (400MHz 64MB RAM/32 Flash), both with gigabit switches. Both devices seem much more capable than WRT54GL family. Buffalo is somewhat cheaper, has more flash but slightly slower performance. Netgear is probably better suited for high bandwidth scenarios. I'll probably use either, depending on the situation requirements...

Can you please us what are the AC/DC adapters rated at, i.e. VDC. Amp, and Watt?

WNDR3700 and WZR-HP-300NG/H are both excellent choices, but the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND can be found for quite a bit less cash.

Netgear is 12V/2.5A, Buffalo 12V/2A

gulikoza wrote:

Netgear is 12V/2.5A, Buffalo 12V/2A

Thanks and that makes sense.

The discussion might have continued from here.