OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP Link WR1043ND 11n gigabit router

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Jul 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

in 11ng mode i have about 5MB/s (read) and 2MB/s (write) but have also loss 10% (intel 4965BGN) hmm

(Last edited by shibby on 15 Jan 2010, 15:01)

The mixed mode seems to send a lot of n-packets that my Marvell chip can't understand. But connection is acceptable.
eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:"www.schugy2.de" 
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:19:E0:66:66:68   
          Bit Rate:18 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry short limit:8   RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B   
          Encryption key:<too big>   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=42/100  Signal level=-75 dBm  Noise level=-92 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:6056  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:7465  Invalid misc:15184   Missed beacon:0

btw can we set our own wireless mac address anywhere?

yes you can

uci show | grep mac

well

uci set wireless.radio0.macaddr=you_mac

or

edit /etc/config/wireless

Or to ask it right: Is there a mac address compiled into your firmware image?
Doesn't have the wireless hardware a hardcoded mac address as desired by TP-Link?
(e.g. my Netgear has 3 mac adrdesses on the label on its bottom, wlan, lan, wan, TP-Link label only has one).

Any hints about the following errors?

uci -S show
Parse error (invalid character in field) at line 5, byte 8
Parse error (invalid character in field) at line 7, byte 6
Parse error (invalid character in field) at line 8, byte 6
Parse error (invalid character in field) at line 9, byte 6
wireless.radio0.macaddr=00:19:E0:66:66:68

Thanks a lot in advance.

looks interesting folks,

Has anyone opened theirs up and taken pics, i'd like to see inside, especially the antennae and transmission areas.

I have a need to work over two floors so need either antennae points for both sides (transmit / receive) available and as i'm some 100k away, I need to build as fireproof as possible. And since it's a "temporary" and will end up being an "emergency use only" cost unfortunately IS a factor.

And can we have a url please for any pics added to this message.

thanks

scsijon

These are the pictures already available.

This is my /etc/config/wireless file that has good performance so far.
On a FSC Amilo PA3553 with Atheros N-WiFi running windows 7 the filetransfer from my plugged in usbstick through webif file editor started out at 1,8 MB/sec when signal quality was 3/5 or 4/5.
When signal is excellent the mode changes to 8 - 14 MB/sec (~12 MB/sec average).
Wireless on my Marvell SD8686 G-WiFi works too. I'm still little worried about the Tx excessive retries and Invalid misc.

(Last edited by Schugy on 17 Jan 2010, 03:58)

thanks Schuggy for the link.

However what I am interested in viewing is what's under the shield cover and especially at the termination point for the centre aerial on the pcb.

To explain, most of the N Systems seem to have two radio modules, each with their own receiver antennae placed at the opposite ends of the case, but combine the transmit sides into the ONE antennae at the middle. I want to be able to split this back to individual aerials so that I can have one Transmit/Receive pair available for extension to another building level while still having local connections via the normal aerials. This is also because both building floors are small and will only have a maximum of eight and four wireless connections.

Looking at the pic, it's almost as if the unit is only using one transmit side? with the other one not connected, but I suspect it's all under the cover.

On another sub-topic, does the 1043nd have fixed transmit/receive power levels or are they adjustable through the firmware?

thanks again
scsijon

(Last edited by scsijon on 17 Jan 2010, 06:36)

Schugy,
I don't know what is the problem but I get only 40 Mbit/s (tested it few different ways)
Mounting is impossible, I get this error:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1, missing codepage or other error
My laptop has Atheros AR928x wireless. and with the original firmware I was getting 113 Mbit/s
So I think that the problem is with the driver or configuration.

P.S.
The is some good in all of this, the signal is very very very strong
Using the wire connection I get 90 MBit/s on 100M NIC and routers' CPU load of about 85%

Finding the my own wifi MAC is not possible, and also changing it to something else result in unusable wireless connection (I can almost connect but can not negotiate the link speed 54 or 300 and get IP)

If some one have any suggestions I would be happy to try them.

(Last edited by HaroNiX on 17 Jan 2010, 09:25)

Guys, don't you have problems with other wireless devices (e.g. mouses) when transmitting data over this AP?

Install kmod-nls-cp437 and modprobe it for vfat mount (or reboot). Have tried webradio and no disconnects in 7h.
I think for a robust signal 40 Mbit is ok. With standard wireless configuration by webif I could hardly hardly use ssh.
uci shows my desired mac after a reboot but ifconfig still shows the address we all have - uci mac setting doesn't matter.  hostapd doesn't find an interface with my desired mac and fails. /etc/config/wireless contains the address hostapd looks for but doesn't set anything. uci doesn't seem to be the right place. Any other proposals?

My BT mouse works and the 3 other wireless mice with their own transmitters work too. My router is set to channel 01 and located in the floor above.

Problem with mices is common when using wide channel (40 mhz) i have same issue with logitech revo hmm

I got problem with logitech 2.4 G mouse and keyboard( dinovo +MX1100), but not with those RF, such as logitech S520
p.s. if my notebook is close enough to the mouse/keyboard

(Last edited by DummyPLUG on 18 Jan 2010, 06:54)

@andrewt12: Can you verify VLAN handling code introduced by nbd for 8366_smi?

r19217 - ar71xx: update default network configuration for the WNDR3700/DIR-825-B1

Also drop the default network configuration of the TL-WR1043ND, because
the RTL8366RB switch is not yet supported by the rtl8366-smi driver.

@shibby, Could you make your vlan patches compatible with the latest sources from trunk?

i could create patch but rtl8366_smi driver is update often and patch may not work with next svn update.

try this: patch trunk source using andrew patch (you will have 2 failed) and add to target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-tl-wr1043nd.c

#include <linux/ath9k_platform.h>
#include <linux/delay.h>
#include <linux/rtl8366rb_smi.h>
#include <linux/platform_device.h>

and on bottom (only add bold text)

ar913x_add_device_wmac(eeprom, NULL);

platform_device_register(&tl_wr1043nd_rtl8366_smi_device);
}

MIPS_MACHINE(AR71XX_MACH_TL_WR1043ND, "TL-WR1043ND", "TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND",
             tl_wr1043nd_setup);

it works for me, but my the latest compiled svn was 19165 smile i`ll try to compile the latest svn.

(Last edited by shibby on 19 Jan 2010, 08:15)

I get: "Segmentation fault" and bricked router!!!

i sad that was untested firmware. you can unbrick router via serial cable. I remove all untested firmwares from my ftp. im using now my r19165 and all works fine.

Don't worry shibby, I think that we all here know that there is no guarantee or promises everything to be perfect and working.
I just posted for others to know for the problem.

Finding my serial cable is my mission now, I have one (used it for 2 forneras) but I don't know were is it.

(Last edited by HaroNiX on 20 Jan 2010, 20:28)

Yea, there is a rb8366s driver in trunk now. Will have a look at whats involved in getting it running on our units with the 8633rb switch. Not sure if it needs its own driver or can do both. Either way it should be much less work than doing it from scratch, the 2 switches are very similar.

Regards
Andrew

andrewt12 wrote:

Yea, there is a rb8366s driver in trunk now. Will have a look at whats involved in getting it running on our units with the 8633rb switch. Not sure if it needs its own driver or can do both. Either way it should be much less work than doing it from scratch, the 2 switches are very similar.

Regards
Andrew

Good News!

yes its good news but vlans still doesnt work. I compiled yesterday 19250 and i coundnt create WAN and LAN. I had to patch trunk for vlan support.

Sorry, posts 101 to 100 are missing from our archive.