OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RB411 OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello guys, i am geek with open wrt, i have RB411+R52-350MiniPCI wireless card, today i fuc**d up my mikrotik licence, and i cannot find any help about it. So, i want to install open-wrt, i searched the forum but i cant find anything to help me with this type of card. I know something about networks and wireless, connecting with serial port and booting stuf, but can somebody tell me how to install openwrt on this card.. step by step will be very usefull. Sorry about my bad english, im from macedonia and my name is Igor, nice to meet you! Greetings, and hope you help me. Bye

P.S I am using windows os, do i need to change the os to do the install, can i make it with ubuntu live CD? Thanks!

(Last edited by karevski on 14 Jan 2010, 16:39)

Follow this tutorial: http://blog.vodkamelone.de/archives/148 … RB433.html
you must use a linux distro(Debian is good) an also to have internet conection.i tested on fedora 9.

open a shell and type

mkdir ~/openwrt
cd ~/openwrt
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/8.09
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/packages/
ls
cd 8.09
make menuconfig

after you type "make menuconfig' a menu will show and there you must choose architecture,for rb you choose "ar71xx".also you preconfigure image with ip you want.
after you setup how you want to be(wrt) press escape,save configuration,and after that you type "make" and waint around 40minutes.(tested on X2@2.5ghz and old maxtor 30g slim hdd)

after that youmust configure  a tftpd boot server,i used another routerboard which had this kind of server.i did not managed to successfully set this server on fedoro9.when you install a linux distro  don't forget to choose "software development".

with my instructions and tutorial from first link you should be able to install wrt.
it is no GUI,you can install luci or x-wrt,i like luci.

http://luci.subsignal.org/trac/wiki/Installation

the openwrt source is here:  https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/GetSource
use kamikaze branches.
after

(Last edited by haceru on 16 Jan 2010, 21:38)

Can i use ubuntu ?

I'm using ubuntu 9.10 inside a VMWare machine and works perfectly well to compile a OpenWRT firmware. But i used windows xp and a simple program to tftp and install the distribution in a RB133C

I found a pre-compiled image for RB411, and i found a  TFTPD server for windows, can i use that? what kind of software do you use for it?!

for the tftpd server on windows i used this
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/philippe.jo … tpd32.html
easy to setup and works as advertised. It has ONE quirk , that is , if you want to assing a static ip to the card using his mac , you have to create a key-value pair in the registry. Otherwise , is the simplest one i found.

You will need hyperterminal to drive the console for the inital deployement , but , after that , any good telnet client will do (I use Putty on telnet mode , not SSH )

Mind you , when you are on the console during power up ,the first time , be sure to check boot protocol to dhcp , not bootp , on the card boot menu.

(Last edited by MVV on 21 Jan 2010, 12:23)

I try with windows, i set up DHCP with "MagikDHCPserver" and TFTP with "TFTPD32" I put all combined files: "openwrt-ar71xx-vmlinux-initramfs.elf" and "linuxrc" in the tftpd32 folder.. Echo from the Terminal is:

RouterBOOT booter 2.20

RouterBoard 411

CPU frequency: 300 MHz
  Memory size:  32 MB

Press any key within 2 seconds to enter setup..
trying dhcp protocol... OK
resolved mac address 00:06:5B:A9:40:A3
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
transfer started  udp error 1
kernel loading failed

ok , i'll give you my setup so you can replicate.
Mi windows pc has the ip 192.168.0.3
mi wan router has 192.168.0.1
The registry key i added for static ip was
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TFTPD32\DHCP]
"xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"="192.168.0.90"

(replace xx:xx with 00:06:5B:A9:40:A3 if that is the mac address of your card)

Remember , in the boot menu that appears if you press a key in the 2 seconds after powering up the board to select the boot protocol to use DHCP , NOT Bootp

RouterBOOT-2.15
What do you want to configure?
   d - boot delay
   k - boot key
   s - serial console
   o - boot device
   u - cpu mode
   f - cpu frequency
   r - reset booter configuration
   e - format nand
   g - upgrade firmware
   i - board info
  p - boot protocol
   x - exit setup
your choice:

And the setup of my tftp2 is like this

http://te.servegame.com/images/tftpd1.jpg

http://te.servegame.com/images/tftpd2.jpg

hth.

Yes! i did it..

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r12846) -------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
---------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:/#

But.. now the problem is, when i boot from ethernet, i load on OWRT but when i load on NAND i logon to MT.. How can i write down OWRT to nand! I tryed to open the IP address on my card, to enter configuration, i read on this topic something about luci or stuff, any tutorial about that.. for windows.. THANKS! Thanks for support!!! Im geek.. i know smile

Full LOG, maybe i have mistake with something..

RouterBOOT booter 2.20

RouterBoard 411

trying dhcp protocol...........................................................d
kernel loading failed

RouterBOOT booter 2.20

RouterBoard 411

trying dhcp protocol................................................... OK
resolved mac address 00:06:5B:A9:40:A3
Gateway: 192.168.16.1
*transfer started ...................... transfer ok, time=1.86s
setting up elf image... OK
jumping to kernel code
Linux version 2.6.26.5 (alex@extreme) (gcc version 4.2.4) #2 Sat Oct 4 09:56:588
console [early0] enabled
CPU revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24K)
Determined physical RAM map:
memory: 02000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd
Zone PFN ranges:
  Normal          0 ->     8192
Movable zone start PFN for each node
early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges
    0:        0 ->     8192
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 8128
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock2 rootfstype=squashfs,yaffs,jffs2 noinitt
Primary instruction cache 64kB, VIPT, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
Primary data cache 32kB, 4-way, VIPT, cache aliases, linesize 32 bytes
Writing ErrCtl register=0007f7f0
Readback ErrCtl register=0007f7f0
PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
Dentry cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
Memory: 29156k/32768k available (1704k kernel code, 3612k reserved, 302k data, )
SLUB: Genslabs=6, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
net_namespace: 484 bytes
NET: Registered protocol family 16
MIPS: machine is MikroTik RouterBOARD 411/A/AH
registering PCI controller with io_map_base unset
PCI: mapping irq 32 to pin1@0000:00:12.0
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP route cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
TCP reno registered
NET: Registered protocol family 1
squashfs: version 3.0 (2006/03/15) Phillip Lougher
Registering mini_fo version $Id$
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (SUMMARY)  © 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
yaffs Oct  4 2008 08:25:56 Installing.
msgmni has been set to 56
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered (default)
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
serial8250.0: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x18020000 (irq = 11) is a 16550A
console handover: boot [early0] -> real [ttyS0]
ag71xx_mdio: probed
eth0: Atheros AG71xx at 0xb9000000, irq 4
NAND flash driver for RouterBoard 4xx series version 0.1.10
NAND SPI clock 25000 kHz (AHB 150000 kHz / 6)
FLASH SPI clock 25000 kHz (AHB 150000 kHz / 6)
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x76 (Hynix NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Scanning device for bad blocks
Bad eraseblock 1494 at 0x01758000
Bad eraseblock 3304 at 0x033a0000
Bad eraseblock 3728 at 0x03a40000
Creating 3 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "booter"
0x00040000-0x00400000 : "kernel"
0x00400000-0x04000000 : "rootfs"
mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
split_squashfs: error occured while reading from "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit"
Atheros AR71xx SPI Controller driver version 0.2.2
Atheros AR71xx hardware watchdog driver version 0.1.0
Registered led device: rb4xx:yellow:user
TCP vegas registered
NET: Registered protocol family 17
Freeing unused kernel memory: 836k freed
Algorithmics/MIPS FPU Emulator v1.5
[sighandler]: No more events to be processed, quitting.
[cleanup]: Waiting for children.
[cleanup]: All children terminated.
- preinit -
Press CTRL-C for failsafe

Please press Enter to activate this console. eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)

BusyBox v1.11.2 (2008-10-04 08:14:29 EEST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r12846) -------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
root@OpenWrt:/#

I'm not sure of what do you want. If you want to install the rootfs and stuff , you need the rootfs and kernel files (i compiled mine i don't know where you get yours) and someplace where to take them from. I uploaded the files into my web server and then
/sbin/wget2nand http://192.168.0.1/

Assuming your lan is like mine , and the interface is up, you drop this two files in the root of your personal web server
openwrt-adm5120-rootfs.tgz
openwrt-adm5120-rb1xx-kernel

and you sould just be good to go

If you figure out how to make opkg to work , tell me how you did it , because i can't sad

After you have installed root and kernel using wget2nand , a reboot is in order , and then remember , via console (that is , hyperterminal where the serial cable is) to give an enter in the first 2 seconds and remember to change boot from ethernet to Nand

You sould carefully peruse this manual

http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrt … otik/rb100

After you have loaded the booter , almost everything is well detailed in there

Wellcome to Geekdomhood wink

You didn't state your problem with opkg, but if it is complaining about the architecture,
but if that is the issue, add this line to /etc/opkg.conf:

arch mips 1

You're lucky; I have a new RB450G and I can boot over the network, but when I flash and boot it says "jumping to kernel code" and freezes.

Already resolved my issue with opkg , just had to edit the default url that was on the /etc/opkg.conf to the real url

On the RB133C , this is my /etc/opkg.conf

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# cat /etc/opkg.conf
src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/adm5120/router_le/
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /

This saved the day smile

For my RB411R , i need no opkg , but i suppouse that changing the line to

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# cat /etc/opkg.conf
src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/ar71xx/packages/
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /

should do the trick smile

This of course , if you had already configured internet access from your routerboard. If you don't , and only have local lan access , download the packages on local and change accordingly smile

About the boot freezing after flash , did you select the image to be tgz ? i missed once , and had to recompile and reflash smile

Yeah, I did.  But it's the kernel that's it's trying to jump to that seems to be the issue.

Just to do a sanity check:

I boot from the network.
I have 2 files on a Web server:
openwrt-ar71xx-rootfs.tgz
openwrt-ar71xx-vmlinux.elf

I cd to /sbin and run "wget2nand".  It does the download and copy and decompress and says to reboot.

The kernel is the same one I am loading over tftp, so I if it is copied correctly then I don't see why there would be a problem.

There are 3 mtd blocks (0-2).  wget2nand copies the kernel to /dev/mtdblock1/kernel and the files system to /dev/mtdblock1.

I am assuming that is correct?  To me it looks like it is jumping to the wrong address.

mtdblock1 is too small for the ELF image (2.6MB). I have to either repartition the flash or figure out a way to make OpenWrt use an initrd file.

sorry , can't help with that , is way ahead of me, but i find missing one thing there.

After reboot , did you switch back to boot from nand ?

Yes ;-)  It boots fine from the network.

I think I found the problem.  It seems that most patches were applied to the trunk, but an early patch for the NAND size was not.

Building now. . .

UPDATE : NEVER MIND , just forgot to put a file into the web server , my bad.

strange..i tried 8.09.2 , wich should not have problems with patches and got the same problem. Did you found how to boot properly ?

[...snip...]
split_squashfs: no squashfs found in "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit"
[..snip..]
VFS: Cannot open root device "mtdblock2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
1f03        256 mtdblock3 (driver?)
1f04       3840 mtdblock4 (driver?)
1f05      61440 mtdblock5 (driver?)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

(Last edited by MVV on 31 Jan 2010, 18:24)

I solved my problems after reviewing ALL the patches I could find (which were for previous kernels) and determining which were already in the latest trunk.  One that was not was a patch to fix the NAND size.

Remember that I am using a RB450G, which has 512MB of memory.

Here is the patch that fixes it for me:

--- a/drivers/mtd/nand/rb4xx_nand.c    2010-01-21 07:09:26.000000000 -0500
+++ b/drivers/mtd/nand/rb4xx_nand.c    2010-01-26 18:52:16.000000000 -0500
@@ -92,7 +92,7 @@
    {
        .name    = "kernel",
        .offset    = (256 * 1024),
-        .size    = (4 * 1024 * 1024) - (256 * 1024),
+        .size    = (10 * 1024 * 1024) - (256 * 1024),
    },
    {
        .name    = "rootfs",

Note that (4 * 1024 * 1024) is changed to (10 * 1024 * 1024).  What this does is set the size of the kernel partition to 10MB instead of 4MB.

What I saw was that wget2nand could run out of space while copying the kernel or the rootfs, but would report success anyway.  Then you reboot thinking you are flashed correctly, but you are not.

for those experimenting with an RB411R (with 80211bg radio, without serial RS232) it is possible to hook up a serial console using an external 3.3V serial to USB or RS232 interface and some fine soldering skills.
Remove the buzzer,
serial out: pin 14 of the not mounted U302
serial in: pin 18 of the not mounted U302
ground: RS232 contact no. 1 ( RS232 pin most distant from the PoE ethernet connector, with rectangular pad on rear-side)

The pins 14 and 18 can easily be recognized as they both have a track going to a nearby tiny 'via' through-hole into the multi-layer PCB.
The thin IC lead pads adjacent to the wanted ones are not used so soldering accidentally to two i.s.o. one does no harm.
For safety I used 330 ohm series resistors to connect serial in and out; value a few hundred ohms, not critical. Connect ground of the soldering iron to the PCB ground while soldering to prevent statics damage.
It is possible to put three pins in RS232 contacts 1,2,3 (gnd, serial out, serial in) and to bridge U302 pad 14 to pad 9, and pad18  to RS232 pad 5. The pitch of the RS232 pins corresponds to that of a 2x5 pin flatcable connector. With the bridging wires or resistors mounted the buzzer can be replaced.

Did not manage to get bootp loading the ramfs properly, probably due to the required 0.0.0.0 address the tftp server should be answering to. But following did work:
in RouterBoot:
o (bootdevice) e (over ethernet)
p (boot protocol) 2 (dhcp protocol)       <<<< this will give the RB a regular ip address that should be reachabe/routable from the tftp server.
e (format nand)
x (exit setup)

Used dnsmasq on a wrt54gl with OpenWrt to make the RB411R contact a tftp server on a PC.
Direct connection to the linux PC (tried Fedora and Ubuntu) and doing dhcp service from there caused problems because of the RB interface coming up and going away and the PCs with their network management programs reacting to that to slowly. The wrt54gl buffers that nicely and keeps the PC unaware of the RB bringing up its ethernet interface.

Compile a Trunk ar71xx image with under Target Images the option ramdisk and put the initramfs.elf image in the tftp server's root directory. I changed, following the previous post's directions, the space available to the kernel to 8M i.s.o.4. Alternative is using an image from ar71xx snapshots.
Added to regular /etc/dnsmasq.conf (RB connected to vlan1 of wrt54gl, PC to vlan0):

dhcp-option=vlan1,3,<ip address of wrt54gl vlan1>
dhcp-option=vlan1,6,<ip address of wrt54gl vlan1>
dhcp-host=<mac of RB; see sticker>,<fixed ip address for RB inside vlan1 dhcp dynamic range>,RB411R,45m
dhcp-option=vendor:,1,0.0.0.0
dhcp-boot=/openwrt-ar71xx-vmlinux-initramfs.elf,<hostname where tftpserver>,<ip address of host with tftp server>
(this wrt54gl still had an old Whiterussian OpenWrt on it; adapt these extra directives to /etc/config/dhcp Kamikaze config style and restart dnsmasq)

Then compiled Trunk ar71xx image with profile atheros wifi (madwifi).
Under Kernel-modules / Wireless drivers selected madwifi as loadable package (M) and ath5k to be included (*) as it works with the ar2417 radio on RB411R.
Ath5k did not give me a stable connection though (deauthentication  .... Reason: 16) and have recompiled an image with kmod-madwifi included; madwifi also knows the ar2417.
Added advantages are the extra config options like antenna choice and isolation.

The rest of the installation in NAND memory , using wget2nand, went smooth from a httpd server on the PC, the one with also the tftp server..

First results:
In sta mode, encryption psk-ccmp, ping times to a wrt54gl AP over 2 km ~-70 dBm signal: 1.2 ms
A wrt54gl w. OpenWrt (using brcm embedded encryption) with same antenna to same AP pings with 1.9 ms. So processing is clearly faster.

The boot process does show the error message: split_squashfs: error occured while reading from "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit"
Welcome feedback whether this is serious. The board seems to work normally.
Log:

reboot
save exit: isCheckpointed 0
root@RB411R:/# eth0: link down
Restarting system.

RouterBOOT booter 2.20

RouterBoard 411R

Memory size:  32 MB

loading kernel from nand... OK
jumping to kernel code
Linux version 2.6.32.7 (xxx@yyy) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #4 Thu Feb 11 18:01:48 WET 2010
bootconsole [early0] enabled
CPU revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24Kc)
Atheros AR7130 rev 2, CPU:300.000 MHz, AHB:150.000 MHz, DDR:300.000 MHz
User-defined physical RAM map:
Zone PFN ranges:
  Normal   0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
    0: 0x00000000 -> 0x00002000
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 8128
Kernel command line: rootfstype=squashfs,yaffs,jffs2 noinitrd console=ttyS0,115200 console=ttyS0,115200 gpio=4031 HZ=150000000 mem=32M kmac=00:0C:42:2D:72:44 board=411 boot=1 mlc=1
PID hash table entries: 128 (order: -3, 512 bytes)
Writing ErrCtl register=00000090
Readback ErrCtl register=00000090
Memory: 29304k/32768k available (2124k kernel code, 3464k reserved, 403k data, 152k init, 0k highmem)
SLUB: Genslabs=7, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
Hierarchical RCU implementation.
NR_IRQS:56
Calibrating delay loop... 199.88 BogoMIPS (lpj=999424)
devtmpfs: initialized
bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
pci 0000:00:00.0: PME# supported from D0 D1 D2 D3hot
pci 0000:00:00.0: PME# disabled
PCI: mapping irq 50 to pin1@0000:00:11.0
Switching to clocksource MIPS
TCP reno registered
squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (SUMMARY)  ?® 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
yaffs Feb 10 2010 22:59:40 Installing. 
msgmni has been set to 57
Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
console [ttyS0] enabled, bootconsole disabled
console [ttyS0] enabled, bootconsole disabled
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0x20, Chip ID: 0x76 (ST Micro NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Bad eraseblock 524 at 0x000000830000
Bad eraseblock 1219 at 0x00000130c000
0x000000000000-0x000000040000 : "booter"
0x000000040000-0x000000800000 : "kernel"
0x000000800000-0x000004000000 : "rootfs"
Atheros AR71xx SPI Controller driver version 0.2.4
ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
TCP westwood registered
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
yaffs: dev is 32505858 name is "mtdblock2"
yaffs: passed flags ""
yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.2, "mtdblock2"
yaffs: block 12 is marked bad
block 13 is bad
yaffs: block 707 is marked bad
block 708 is bad
yaffs_read_super: isCheckpointed 0
VFS: Mounted root (yaffs filesystem) readonly on device 31:2.
devtmpfs: mounted
Freeing unused kernel memory: 152k freed
gpio-buttons driver version 0.1.2
input: gpio-buttons as /devices/platform/gpio-buttons/input/input0
Button Hotplug driver version 0.3.1
- preinit -
Press Press f<ENTER> to enter failsafe mode
eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
- regular preinit -
- init -

Please press Enter to activate this console. eth0: link down
eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
Generic kernel compatibility enabled based on linux-next next-20100113

cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

BusyBox v1.15.3 (2010-02-10 20:45:33 WET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r19488) ------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
root@adiante_FINST:/# cfg80211: World regulatory domain updated:
    (start_freq - end_freq @ bandwidth), (max_antenna_gain, max_eirp)
    (2402000 KHz - 2494000 KHz @ 20000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm)
    (5170000 KHz - 5835000 KHz @ 40000 KHz), (N/A, 3000 mBm)
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
NET: Registered protocol family 24
nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (460 buckets, 1840 max)
CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.
ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
ath_hal: 2009-05-08 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, AR5416, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413, RF2133, RF2425, REGOPS_FUNC, XR)
ath_pci: trunk
wlan: trunk
wlan: mac acl policy registered
ath_rate_minstrel: Minstrel automatic rate control algorithm 1.2 (trunk)
ath_rate_minstrel: look around rate set to 10%
ath_rate_minstrel: EWMA rolloff level set to 75%
ath_rate_minstrel: max segment size in the mrr set to 6000 us
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:11.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Atheros HAL provided by OpenWrt, DD-WRT and MakSat Technologies
wifi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
wifi0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
wifi0: H/W encryption support: WEP AES AES_CCM TKIP
ath_pci: wifi0: Atheros 2417: mem=0x10000000, irq=50
wifi0: ath_getchannels: Unable to collect channel list from HAL; regdomain likely 0 country code 16
wifi0: ath_getchannels: Reverting to defaults

root@RB411R:/#

(Last edited by doddel on 16 Feb 2010, 18:13)

results thusfar have been disappointing in that i have not been able to achieve stable operation.
With madwifi installed in sta mode : works fine at low traffic rates (e.g. pinging); but the system hangs and reboots upon a bigger data transfer.
With ath5k installed in sta mode: the other side deauthenticates all the time with an error message on weak signal quality (Reason: 16). When connecting the single antenna to the aux connector and then back to the main antenna connector it did manage to establish contact. Something to do with antenna choice on the RB411R seems not to be initiated properly by stock ath5k. A special compilation of ath5k with the antenna choice set to fixed_A did not resolve this. 

When adding/removing packages  using opkg, with either of the wireless drivers, a segmentaton fault occurs and the file system gets corrupted (or was corrupted in the first place but obnly notice it now). It will not boot a next time reporting kernel panic.

Have experimented with 4M 8M and 10 M settings in the rb4xx nand driver, in both initramfs and rootfs but it seems to have no effect.

Suggestions welcome as to what might be causing these problems and whether others see similar effects on other RB411 type boards.

guys i need your help!

hello. i am marios and i am trying to install openwrt on rb411. i took the precompiled files but i couldnt make it work! i setup the tftp on windows pc and the device taking the file! but it stop somewhere says kernel panic. tried different versions of tftp and elf file but no change at all! could someone give me a hand because i am terrible stack :S

thx in advance!

ps:sorry for my bad english.

here is my console output

RouterBOOT booter 2.19

RouterBoard 411

Press <delete> key within 3 seconds to enter setup...
trying dhcp protocol.......................................................... OK
resolved mac address 00:1A:92:82:A2:0E
transfer started ................. transfer ok, time=1.22s
jumping to kernel code
Linux version 2.6.26.8 (agb@arrakis) (gcc version 4.1.2) #4 Tue Dec 29 14:09:32 UTC 2009
console [early0] enabled
CPU revision is: 00019374 (MIPS 24K)
Zone PFN ranges:
  Normal          0 ->     8192
    0:        0 ->     8192
Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 8128
Kernel command line: root=/dev/mtdblock2 rootfstype=squashfs,yaffs,jffs2 noinitrd console=ttyS0,115200 init=/etc/preinit
Writing ErrCtl register=00010140
Readback ErrCtl register=00010140
PID hash table entries: 128 (order: 7, 512 bytes)
Memory: 29720k/32768k available (1824k kernel code, 3048k reserved, 321k data, 128k init, 0k highmem)
SLUB: Genslabs=6, HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=1, Nodes=1
net_namespace: 644 bytes
PCI: mapping irq 32 to pin1@0000:00:12.0
TCP reno registered
squashfs: version 3.0 (2006/03/15) Phillip Lougher
JFFS2 version 2.2. (NAND) (SUMMARY)  ?© 2001-2006 Red Hat, Inc.
yaffs Dec  2 2009 06:29:16 Installing.
msgmni has been set to 58
Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
console handover: boot [early0] -> real [ttyS0]
NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0x76 (Hynix NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit)
Atheros AR71xx SPI Controller driver version 0.2.2
TCP vegas registered
802.1Q VLAN Support v1.8 Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>
yaffs: dev is 32505858 name is "mtdblock2"
yaffs: passed flags ""
yaffs: Attempting MTD mount on 31.2, "mtdblock2"
VFS: Mounted root (yaffs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
Please be patient, while OpenWrt loads ...
Failed to execute /etc/preinit.  Attempting defaults...
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

(Last edited by mariosfx on 12 Apr 2011, 13:37)

The discussion might have continued from here.