OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT reboots in a loop on Siemens SE505

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Apr 2018 and 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Okay, then I will try to post the NVRAM settings tonight. But I must admit, that I already changed a couple of things and was playing around with the network devices :? So the settings might be not the same like right after installing OpenWRT, hope that does not confuse you. Or should I better reflash the image, reboot and dump the original stuff? I wonder what the post-install of OpenWRT does with the original content of the NVRAM...

Cheers,
BratMaxxe

Okay, then I will try to post the NVRAM settings tonight. But I must admit, that I already changed a couple of things and was playing around with the network devices :? So the settings might be not the same like right after installing OpenWRT, hope that does not confuse you. Or should I better reflash the image, reboot and dump the original stuff? I wonder what the post-install of OpenWRT does with the original content of the NVRAM...

Cheers,
BratMaxxe

OpenWrt itself won't change any variables. But sure, a factory clean one would be better usable.

There we are...

@OpenWrt:/# nvram show
temp_dhcp_static=
temp_filter_list=
wl0_macname_list=
os_ram_addr=80001000
wl0_net_mode=mixed
pptp_netmask=
new_wan_proto=pppoe
wl0_frameburst=on
m_wan_ipaddr=
il0macaddr=00:01:e3:0e:ed:e7
remote_ipaddr=
boardrev=0x10
pptp_mode=2
log_tftp_server=
pptp_ipaddr=
et0macaddr=00:01:E3:0E:ED:E6
default_lan_dhcp_client_br=0
temp_forward_service=
new_pptp_keepalive=
d11b_rateset=default
d11g_mode=1
wl0_wep_buf=
boot_wait=on
pptp_idletime=300
wl0_macmode1=disabled
wan_provider=other
wl0_infra=1
et0mdcport=0
wl0_country_code=AU
d11b_bcn=100
ip_filter=0
pppoe_keepalive=0
wl0_ap_ssid=
new_pptp_enable=1
firewall_list=
reset_gpio=7=0
mac_filter=0
pmon_ver=2.01.01
restore_defaults=0
default_policy=0
wan_lease=864000
d11b_frag=2346
url_list=
d11g_dtim=3
fw_reset=0
http_wanport=8080
new_m_wan_hostname=
dhcp_static=
lan_gateway=192.168.2.1
filter_list=
dyndns_hostname=
Daylight_Edd=0
pf_name=
boot_flash_addr=bfc00000
wl0_ifname=eth1
timer_interval=3600
tdsl_mit=0001
gpio1=adm_eesk
kernel_mods=et wl slhc ppp_generic pppox pppoe ppp_async mppe
wl0_wds_enable=1
temp_filter_service=
gpio2=adm_eecs
pptp_username=
new_pptp_idletime=
temp_mac_id=
pppoe_mtu=1492
gpio4=adm_rc
vlan0ports=0 1 2 3 5*
gpio6=adm_eedi
udp_filter=0
wl0_mrate=0
wan_gateway=0.0.0.0
wl0_mode=ap
dhcp_start=192.168.2.100
wl0_ap_isolate=0
dhcp_end=192.168.2.150
user_time_hr=0
os_flash_addr=bfc40000
wl0_gmode=6
dhcp_lease=72
sromrev=2
fwt=
pptp_passwd=
boardtype=0x0101
NatFlag=1
fwu=
et1macaddr=00:01:E3:0E:ED:E6
stats_server=
static_route=
dyndns_password=
d11g_rate=0
lan_netmask=255.255.255.0
wl0_wep_last=
new_pptp_username=
dmz_enable=0
wl0_ssid=linksys
wl0_dtim=1
http_username=
new_pptp_idle_interval=
user_time_yr=1970
et1mdcport=1
burnin=0
Daylight_Emm=0
new_m_wan_dns=
fi0=
http_lanport=80
fi1=
new_et1macaddr=
fi2=
wan_ping=0
fi3=
wan_hwname=et1
wan_domain=
fi4=
wan_netmask=0.0.0.0
wl0_key1=
fi5=
wl0id=0x4320
wl0_key2=
fi6=
wl0_key3=
temp_wan_ping=
fi7=
wl0_key4=
firewall_enable=1
fi8=
pf0=
fi9=
pf1=
new_pppoe_idletime=
pf2=
pf3=
tdsl_num=
pf4=
default_language=de
log_tftp=0
http_wan_enable=0
pf5=
wl0_wep_format=hex
d11g_rts=2347
pf6=
pf7=
d11b_channel=11
http_passwd=
temp_dmz_list=
pf8=
ag0=255
pf9=
lan_stp=0
wl0_closed=0
wl0_rate=0
wl0_plcphdr=long
wl0_macmode=disabled
d11g_rateset=default
pf10=
wl0gpio0=0
new_pptp_server_ipaddr=
pf11=
wl0gpio1=0
wl0_radioids=BCM2050
wl0_phytype=g
pf12=
wl0gpio2=0
wl0_lazywds=1
pf13=
wl0gpio3=0
pf14=
wl0gpio4=0
pf15=
wl0gpio5=0
boardflags2=0
new_pppoe_username=
wl0_afterburner=auto
wl0_wds3_nwam=
pppoe_auth_mode=auto
fi10=
wl0_antdiv=-1
wan_dns=
fi11=
fi12=
fi13=
pppoe_idletime_min=5
fi14=
wl0_wpa_psk=
dmz_macaddr=
fi15=
Daylight_enable=0
d11g_bcn=100
radius_port=
wl0_mac_list=
os_server=
wan_proto=pppoe
wl0_wds1_nwam=
new_pppoe_keepalive=
wl0_unit=0
wl_country_code=AU
new_pptp_idle_disconnect=0
ntp_enable=0
pa0itssit=62
def_et1macaddr=00:01:E3:0E:ED:E6
pptp_demand=1
Daylight_Sdd=0
new_pptp_ipaddr=
temp_mac_name=
d11g_frag=2346
new_pppoe_mru=
wl0_wds=
m_wan_hostname=
temp_forward_list=
url_enabled=0
filter_enable=0
log_level=0
new_m_wan_domain=
cctl=0
ntp_server=
m_wan_gateway=
timezone_country=Germany
pptp_idle_disconnect=
lan_ifnames=eth0 eth2
lan_dns=
pppoe_ifname=eth1
wl0_auth=0
wl0_radius_port=1812
wl0_mac_deny=
wl0_radius_ipaddr=
wl0_psk_obscure=
pa0maxpwr=66
new_pppoe_passwd=
temp_firewall_list=
pppoe_mode=2
wan_ifnames=
dos_enable=0
m_wan_domain=
m_lan_netmask=255.255.255.0
m_wan_wins=
os_name=linux
lan_proto=static
lan_ipaddr=192.168.2.1
clkfreq=200
aa0=3
vlan1hwname=et0
new_m_wan_gateway=
Daylight_Smm=0
default_lan_proto_nat=dhcp
wl0_phytypes=g
wl0_wep=disabled
wl0_frag=2346
d11g_channel=11
new_pppoe_mode=
new_pptp_mode=
pppoe_passwd=
dyndns_username=
m_wan_netmask=
sdram_config=0x0000
wl0_country=Worldwide
remote_enable=0
wl0_wep_mode=off
new_m_wan_wins=
dmz_ipaddr=
one_passwd=
vlan1ports=4 5
pptp_enable=0
scratch=a0180000
ccode=0
wl0_enable=1
wl0_rateset=default
user_time_dd=1
cpu_type=0x4712
wl0_wep_bit=64
pppoe_idletime=300
lan_ifname=eth0
m_wan_dns=
boardflags=0x0388
sdram_refresh=0x8040
lan_dhcp_client=0
sdram_ncdl=0x23
default_lan_gateway=192.168.2.1
radius_key=
new_m_wan_netmask=
ntp_timezone=+1
fi=
pptp_idle_interval=5
user_conf_ver=1.01
wan_ipaddr=0.0.0.0
fm=
radius_ipaddr=
forward_enable=0
wl0_passphrase=
wl0_rts=2347
default_lan_ipaddr=192.168.2.1
wan_wins=
d11b_dtim=1
d11b_plcphdr=long
ft=
default_lan_dhcp_client_nat=0
wl0_ibss=1
fu=
pppoe_username=
ntp_sync_interval=1
os_version=de_3.01.05
pptp_password=
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=3600
wl0_key=1
wl0_active_mac=
user_time_mn=0
user_time_mo=1
console_loglevel=1
et0phyaddr=0
time_zone=PST8PDT
d11g_shortslot_restrict=0
default_lan_netmask=255.255.255.0
wan_ifname=eth1
wan_hostname=
wl0_radio=1
wl0_name=Wireless Router
wl0_wds0=
new_pppoe_demand=
wl0_wds1=
d11g_hwaddr=
pptp_server_ipaddr=
user_time_update=0
wl0_bcn=100
wl0_wds2=
wl0_wds3=
wl0_hwaddr=00:01:E3:0E:ED:E7
new_pptp_password=
BridgeFlag=0
d11b_rate=0
wl0_wep_gen=
wl0_gmode_protection=off
pa0b0=0x119a
wl0_maclist=
one_username=
pa0b1=0xfb93
pa0b2=0xfea5
sdram_init=0x0419
tdsl_ans=
tdsl_per=
vlan0hwname=et0
lan_hwnames=et0 il0 wl0 wl1
dl_ram_addr=a0001000
pppoe_demand=1
m_lan_ipaddr=192.168.2.1
wl0_radius_key=
tcp_filter=0
wl0_corerev=7
wl0_wds2_nwam=
wl0_channel=6
pppoe_mru=1492
upnp_enable=1
new_pptp_demand=
default_lan_proto_br=static
wl0_auth_mode=open
new_pptp_netmask=
ntp_country=26
et1phyaddr=30
wl0_wds0_nwam=
new_m_wan_ipaddr=
internal_policy=1
language=en
wl0_crypto=tkip
wl0_ap_ip=
d11b_rts=2347
size: 5530 bytes (27238 left)
@OpenWrt:/#

The settings posted yesterday are slightly modified by me 8) In case I messed something up, here comes the original image of the NVRAM area extracted from the latest firmware image by siemens...

Cheers,
BratMaxxe

The settings posted yesterday are slightly modified by me 8) In case I messed something up, here comes the original image of the NVRAM area extracted from the latest firmware image by siemens...

Cheers,
BratMaxxe

This isn't enough for real (as these aren't all the variables). Please reflash the factory firmware, click on "restore defaults", flash openwrt without the diag module, and paste the nvram show again. I'm almost sure, what are the problems, but want to be sure, that the fixes will work on the new units out-of-the-box (with the factory variables).

Okay now here is what I did, because the original fw did'nt like my mess either... 

1. Under OpenWRT erased the NVRAM settings first:
# mtd erase nvram
# reboot

2. Flashed the siemens fw and accessed the router via http. No reset to defaults option available, but since I erased the NVRAM with the previous OpenWRT I was able to access the device via eth again. -> dump NVRAM settings to file 'NVRAM Siemens.txt'

3. Reflashed OpenWRT without diag module. reboot. No eth available. -> dump NVRAM settings to file 'NVRAM OpenWRT.txt'

Hope this helps,
BratMaxxe

I'm interested in a solution, since I have exactely the same model as BratMaxxe.

Okay, IMHO I know the problem. I make an image for You to try it out. BTW, if You have a higher resolution internal photo of the unit, it would be really helpful.

BratMaxxe: please post a dump of mtd0, too.
Thanks.

#dd if=/dev/mtd/0 of=/tmp/mtd.dat

big_smile Hi Kaloz, Hi BratMaaxe, I directly joint the openwrt forum after I read this nice thing about the SE505 router and surprise, surprise I am an owner of this very popular dsl router in Germany. I bought them via ebay as a cheaper unit then the linksys ones. My model is the same like BratMaaxes with the nice rebooting loop.
Kaloz did you need still the high resolution photos from the siemens unit? If so please give me a short reply and it would be a pleasure to provide them.
Many Thanks to all

big_smile Hi Kaloz, Hi BratMaaxe, I directly joint the openwrt forum after I read this nice thing about the SE505 router and surprise, surprise I am an owner of this very popular dsl router in Germany. I bought them via ebay as a cheaper unit then the linksys ones. My model is the same like BratMaaxes with the nice rebooting loop.
Kaloz did you need still the high resolution photos from the siemens unit? If so please give me a short reply and it would be a pleasure to provide them.
Many Thanks to all

I'm just compiling the image for You to play with, I will post it later tonight/tomorrow smile
For the pictures, I'm not in need of them, but they won't hurt. (maybe someone will need them)

smile O.K. I will make the pictures tomorrow at work, because I have no stand for my digicam at home.

smile O.K. I will make the pictures tomorrow at work, because I have no stand for my digicam at home.

Here we are, maybe the SE505 MK2 PCB images are helpful for the hardware modding fraction. I called my version of the SE505  “MK2” and you will find attached the so called LowRes Images (<= 2MB each) of the routers PCB. If any one need the HiRes versions (< 47MB each), lol then we have to find a suitable distribution way.

Something is going wrong, I am not allowed to upload the files… :?

Kaloz, were you able to build the image. I am in need of this image also. thanks for your efforts.

Just to keep the topic warm...

Yeap! Did'nt hear anything from Kaloz since ages. He's probably busy or on vacation  8) I have'nt had a minute to spend on my unit either. So there are still a few issues to solve:

1. Get the diag.o module working with the siemens LED's (uncommenting it out in your own build is a fix).
2. Get the NVRAM sorted so that ethernet works out-of-the-box.

BTW: I got ethernet running on my unit after erasing the original NVRAM content (OpenWRT is just using the settings as they are and I assume that Siemens FW is using some of the variables in a different way).

:?

I think we are pretty close, but somebody needs to put all the required patches and work-arounds to main trunk...

Regards,
BratMaxxe

I've checked your cfe image and it appears, the real MAC address is not stored anywhere. Have you tried putting Siemens firmware back to check that it restores correct MAC?
From the nvram dupms above it appears, that it does not...

Sorry, I'm quite busy due to my work nowadays.. Anyway, stay tuned, I will post a test image this weekend for sure..

There is no reset to defaults option available in the siemens fw, at least I could'nt find any yikes

So I decided to erase the NVRAM under OpenWRT first, then put back the siemens fw (no clue whether the siemens stuff is writing the MAC address to the right spot) BTW: Why is there a need to store this MAC in CFE? Does OpenWRT rely on this?

Made the dumps and put back OpenWRT. Right now my unit is accessable via eth and it looks pretty good, altough I have'nt had time to configure it for use in my environment properly...

I'd just like to run in Access Point or Bridge mode and don't need the router stuff. Anyway I think there is to less memory for that use, just 3Meg's left in opertion  sad

There is no reset to defaults option available in the siemens fw, at least I could'nt find any yikes

So I decided to erase the NVRAM under OpenWRT first, then put back the siemens fw (no clue whether the siemens stuff is writing the MAC address to the right spot) BTW: Why is there a need to store this MAC in CFE? Does OpenWRT rely on this?

Any firmware requires unique MAC address. It should be stored somewhere. It's also possible, that it was stored in the nvram only, which you've erased. Other units have correct mac address either in the embedded nvram (fallback in case nvram is invalid) or special dedicated area inside the bootloader.

Made the dumps and put back OpenWRT. Right now my unit is accessable via eth and it looks pretty good, altough I have'nt had time to configure it for use in my environment properly...

Flash Siemens firmware and check MAC address by examining arp cache after pinging your unit. I'm wonder if it would be able to restore it.

After erasing the NVRAM with the following command:

#mtd erase nvram

the mac adress of the router is set to 00:90:96:00:00:00 in OpenWRT and after flashing the original FW to....

seem's that the number from the sticker on the back is gone and replaced. anyway it's just a f.... number and I don't get the point  sad

Don't get me wrong, but I'm a bit sick and tired of all those boring tests without any progress or support/supply from your side....

Is there something that someone without access to the serial console could do?

What's going on now? Is there hope that we'll get OpenWRT on this router or can we forget it?