OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenSWAN to IPCOP IPSEC site to site vpn connected but no traffic

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I'm banging my head against the wall after a couple of days of trying to get this right and trying hard to read docs and get myself sorted out. 

I have an ipcop machine that's running a net to net vpn to another ipcop machine and it's running great. 

I have an openwrt install on a third network (home) with openswan installed and am trying to configure it to be another net to net vpn.

I've got ipsec.conf configured like the examples and / or like my ipcop machines with the same result every time:

1. VPN connects, everything appears connected on Ipcop side and on Openwrt side through openswan.

2. From any machine on the IPCOP network (10.4.10.x) I can ping the open wrt box's green ip (192.168.4.1), but no other machine on the openwrt side's network.

3. From any machine on the openwrt network (192.168.4.x) I CANNOT ping any machine on the 10.4.10.x network.

4. From any machine on the openwrt network (192.168.4.x) I CANNOT ping the IPCOP machine itself (10.4.10.1)

I'm almost positive this has something to do with my iptables setup.  I struggle with iptables though.  I've tried several settings from this lists postings and openswan wiki. 

I currently have the following:  (Mostly commented out)

#iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -o eth0 -s 192.168.4.0/24 -d \! 10.4.10.0/24 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A input_rule -p esp -s 11.111.11.11              -j ACCEPT  # allow IPSEC         
iptables -A input_rule -p udp -s 11.111.11.11 --dport 500  -j ACCEPT  # allow ISAKMP         
iptables -A input_rule -p udp -s 11.111.11.11 --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT  # allow NAT-T         
#iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -d 10.4.10.0/24 -j ACCEPT                               
#iptables -A forwarding_rule -i eth1 -o ipsec0 -j ACCEPT                                     
#iptables -A forwarding_rule -i ipsec0 -o eth1 -j ACCEPT

I've tried to copy the iptables rules that are on the ipcop side and it seems to work from from itself to another ipcop machine but I can't find any iptable settings that relate to the vpn connections.

Can anyone recomend something to try? 

Thanks,
Stu

Small Update to my own message. 

I added a couple of iptables rules that I found in ipcop's config:

iptables -A INPUT   -i ipsec+ -j ACCEPT                                                       
iptables -A FORWARD -i ipsec+ -j ACCEPT

This allows me now to ping and connect to any computer behind the OpenWRT device from the 10.4.10.x network, but I still can't ping / connect to the computers on the remote side from behind the OpenWRT machine.

Sweet Lover I found my answer!

The following must be in firewall.user   

I got this all from: http://proclos.org/tutorials/openwrt-al … y-openswan

I surely hopes this helps someone else!

### allow ipsec traffic from your wan port to the router
iptables -A input_wan -p esp              -j ACCEPT # allow IPSEC
iptables -A input_wan -p udp --dport 500  -j ACCEPT # allow ISAKMP
iptables -A input_wan -p udp --dport 4500 -j ACCEPT # allow NAT-T

### disable nat for the remote peer subnet, in this example 192.168.2.0/24
iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -d 192.168.2.0/24 -j ACCEPT

### Allow any traffic between your local LAN and remote peer LAN
iptables -A forwarding_rule -i $LAN -o ipsec0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -i ipsec0 -o $LAN -j ACCEPT

The discussion might have continued from here.