Topic: Buildroot

I'm starting to make a buildroot for the DG834G, with updated sources (Snapshot of uClibc/busybox), with ssh support (dropbear) instead of telnet.

I'm hoping to be able to change the root fs to squashfs, and add a jffs2 partition (Read/write). This requires updating the kernel though...

There are no binary modules distributed with the kernel, so I *assume* that the drivers for all the hardware is included in source form. Atleast the network interface is supported tongue

If anyone knows anything about the bootloader, the offset of the kernel in the flash image etc, I'd love to hear from you.

Hopefully, the end result will be a buildroot that by default produces a working firmware image including the following:

- bootloader & custom kernel
- minimal fail-safe boot (Like openWRT) including   busybox, uClibc and dropbear, with a set IP-adress/passwd.
- Hopefully, we can get ATM up at boot without much problems.

The buildroot is easily modifiable, to compile other packages (Like dyndns support, iptables, nbtscan, reaim etc)
When this is set up, I can (in theory), use all the ipkgs from openwrt with no problems whatsoever.

Re: Buildroot

Whouldn't be enought to compile openWRT with netgear's patched kernel sources? Once you have a new root file
system one can replace the one from the original fimware (keeping the rest of the firmware code, DSL modem, etc).

Enlighten me please.

Whouldn't be enought to compile openWRT with netgear's patched kernel sources? Once you have a new root file
system one can replace the one from the original fimware (keeping the rest of the firmware code, DSL modem, etc).

Enlighten me please.

I haven't looked at the netgear for quite some time now, but I imagine that would be sufficient.
There are a few utilities in the netgear distribution that I also need to add to the buildroot.

All in all, it should be almost a "drop-in" replacement. I guess I'll have time to look at it during the next couple of weeks.

All in all, it should be almost a "drop-in" replacement. I guess I'll have time to look at it during the next couple of weeks.

I have built my own modified firmware with extra functionality, and planned to added some more. But I guess it is a waste of time if indeed we can merge the kernel with the openWRT distribution. Better to extend in such case openWRT.

Let me know if I could help.