OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Buffalo WHR-HP-AG108: How much RAM and flash does it have?

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Nov 2015. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anyone knows?  Thanks.

The reason for asking is because the WHR-HP-AG108 sells for $100 while the WHR-HP-G54 sells for $55 (at buy.com).

So one is 2x the price of the other.

Is the only difference just the Atheros WLAN instead of Broadcom, and a slightly different antenna?

HP = high power. its got a built in amp

But they're both HP.  They both have the built in amp.

uhhh Atheros sucks less?

maybe.  smile

geekydude wrote:

The reason for asking is because the WHR-HP-AG108 sells for $100 while the WHR-HP-G54 sells for $55 (at buy.com).

So one is 2x the price of the other.

Is the only difference just the Atheros WLAN instead of Broadcom, and a slightly different antenna?

The WHR-HP-AG108 has two radios.  It will link with both 802.11a and 802.11g simultaneously.   Buffalo designed this to work with their dual radio cards, so I don't know how separable these radios are with the stock firmware. 

OpenWRT isn't ported to the AG108 yet, so if you need the power go with the HP-G54, otherwise the WHR-G54S is the best bang for the buck.  ($40 shipped from newegg.)

So if the 802.11a and 802.11g dual bands can be separated, we could have WDS with the two routers talking 802.11a to each other and with the AP still be able to deliver full 802.11g to the client instead of half bandwidth, right?  That would be very useful, considering this is the HP model with the internal amplifier, ideal for WDS setups.

Correct.  If we get OpenWRT on it.   

There are two downsides I see with the AG108, it uses one wide-band antenna, and only supports the 5.3ghz band of 802.11a.   

I haven't actually got my hands on one yet, so I don't know how the antenna is connected or if the 5.3 limitation is only software.  I am only getting this information from pics and specs.

Besides dual-band, the AG108 also has a better antenna, and 32MB RAM (vs. 16MB in the HP-G54).

I've made an entry for this router in the OpenWrt Table of Hardware.

Here in USA, you can get this router for $50, which is probably the cheapest 32MB router available currently.

(Last edited by geekydude on 17 Feb 2007, 23:46)

Basic support for the Buffalo WHR-HP-AG108 works. You have to change HAL from ap51 to ap30 in package/madwifi/Makefile, then wifi works as well.
One thing that's still untested is booting from flash, but theoretically that should work as well.

geekydude wrote:

Here in USA, you can get this router for $50, which is probably the cheapest 32MB router available currently.

Where?  I'm only finding them for $100+

lschweiss wrote:
geekydude wrote:

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/ … BB10541612

I bought one from them.  They're part of Best Buy, and they shipped very promptly.

geekydude wrote:
lschweiss wrote:
geekydude wrote:

I bought one from them.  They're part of Best Buy, and they shipped very promptly.

holy crap

Weedy wrote:
geekydude wrote:
lschweiss wrote:

holy crap

Apparently, the deal is over.  Someone posted this on a deals forum called fatwallet.  I bet what happened was someone on that forum must have gone ahead and ordered like 100's of these to resell on ebay, and as a result, bestbuybusiness noticed their price might have been too low.

For those who got in on this deal, your router has just appreciated in value by 225%!

Maybe routers are better investment than stock.  smile

(It was briefly listed at $112.50.  Apparently, they took it down again.)

(Last edited by geekydude on 28 Feb 2007, 09:15)

$88.25

Are there there some inside pictures of the AG108 device?
/ropf

The discussion might have continued from here.