OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Support for WRVS4400N?

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Looks like this may be the most powerful Linksys router right now.  Any hope of porting OpenWRT over?

From the dd-wrt forum:

"The WRVS4400N is really fascinating. It is based on two SoCs from Star Semi (9109 + 9202, both ARM9 based), the Vitesse VSC7385 Gigabit and the Marvell TopDog draft-n WLAN chipset. According to the GPL sources the 9109 has access to 32 MB RAM and the 9202 to 64 MB RAM.

http://www.starsemi.com.tw/vEng/product.php

Here are the internal photos from FCC:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/form … or_pdf=pdf

It looks like an interesting device indeed. I would give a shot for it, if I would have one, as the two socs solutions sounds spiffy. Probably the hardest part would be getting wireless working, tho..

Looked more into the sources. They look quite clean and it seems the 9109 handles wlan and is running with ramdisk, it has no access to the flash chip. So theoritically if we can't get the binary module running over a newer kernel, we can simply run the linksys kernel on that one and OpenWrt on the 9202 smile

Any status on this one?  I'm still considering either this one or the WRT350N and can't decide smile

Other then the fact it could be done? smile We don't have such hardware, so noone's working on it.

Ohhh noes sad  That makes a sad sad panda sad

I got my WRVS4400N yesterday and it Rocks, well apart from the fact it doesn't rund OpenWRT tongue

So everyone of you want to have OpenWRT running on it, an no one of you is brave enough to send this device to the developers -.-

Hehe.. The damn thing cost me 215 euro.. Nothing you just send away wink

(Last edited by iTommy on 4 Mar 2007, 03:05)

any progress on this?

I just got hold of this one and would like to liberate the beast from the resident linksys formware.

How far has this gone? updates would be appreciated.

Thank you

I just received my WRVS4400N yesterday and was testing the IPSec VPN tunnel.....i was a bit disappointed sad
Can it be true that the best speed over IPSec Tunnel is about 1.6Mbps?!?!? and i was testing with 100Mbps WAN connection....
Can anyone confirm this?

I also tested Edimax BR-6304WG and got about 10Mbps (the max WAN speed) .... but they have a majer bug in Wireless WPA with/over IPSec tunnel :-/

OpenWRT would be great on WRVS4400N, but the speed is a bugger....
At the moment i'm using OpenWRT on WRT54G/GS and i'm getting 1.6Mbps with my IPSec tunnels but i need more speed, so i thought WRVS4400N would be great....hmm....guess i'll have to take my thoughts back...

Linksys already provides open source web site and update frequently.

http://www-hk.linksys.com/servlet/Satel … torWrapper
WRVS4400N    1.00.09     WRVS4400N_v1.00.09.tar.gz
                     1.00.12    WRVS4400N_v1.00.12.tar.gz
                          1.00.13    WRVS4400N_v1.00.13.tar.gz
                      1.00.15    WRVS4400N_v1.00.15.tgz
                     1.00.16    WRVS4400N_v1.00.16.tgz

Why IPSec VPN tunnel performance is not good for WRVS4400N?
Due to this product does not support VPN H/W engine and uses STR9202 to perform this protocol.
In general, if no application or deoman is running, the performance is 2 ~ 3 Mbps.

One more attractive feature is H/W IPS (Intrusion Prevention System).
The throughput of L7 packet inspection is 20 ~ 30Mbps.

From the view of whole system architecture, these CPU will handles the following tasks.
STR9202: Web UI / IPS and smart management switch support
STR9109: Marvel draft-n wireless packet (bridge driver)
These two chips share the same flash, STR9202 will be the host CPU and activate STR9109 during booting process.

What is about the WRVS4400N now? Is there any progress? I bought a WRVS4400N and have many problems. If somebody really wants to work on it and needs a WRVS4400N device, maybe he can take my one.

I see a lot of requests for open firmware for these WRVS4400N routers.

If a developer is interested in attempting a port of open-wrt to this device, please let me know. I recently had a chance to pick one up (used) and recalled seeing a few support polls for it over and dd-wrt. I went ahead and bought it, incase any of the developers are still interested in getting their hands on one.

If someone is interested, please let me know, and I'll ship it out to you as soon as possible.

It's a WRVS4400N v1 running 1.1.13 firmware. It seems to function as designed, with only the common issues of; slight high pitched whine, occasional dropping of wireless connections, and being a bit picky with ipsec tunnels. At the moment, it connects to my linux box fine, but does not connect to a windows 2k8 server at my buddies office. It also seems to work fine connecting to cisco equipment.

Also, this thing runs hot! I dunno if thats normal, as it's the only one I've handled, but this thing well..it's hot.

Anyway, if any dev is at least partially serious about tinkering with one of these, or even just needs one for his desk, I'd be happy to send it over as a thank you to the developers, and the community that supports them.

Let me know,
Chris

The rougher runs fine once you update the firmware... I would still like to see WRT on it though... I had a WRT350n but it melted due to a fire, my rougher is innocent but bead... :-( It had WRT on it and it ran great!!!! My old 350n had a better range and faster w-ifi speed than the WRVS4400n... Im not so sure if I really like my new WRVS4400n... Pleas let me know if you guys come up with something... thx

My WRVS4400n works fine.  I'd also like to see WRT running on it.  Is anyone else interested?

The discussion might have continued from here.